Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

National Geographic Channel "accused" of distorting the Hutterite TV reality show

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I'm watching it right now. Did a lil research and saw this:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/hutterites-upset-over-new-reality-shows-distorted-portrayal-76732/

Snipped from way down:

"Hutterites Upset Over New Reality Show's 'Distorted' Portrayal"

""The creators chose to go directly to the King Ranch Colony to seek permission, rather than the proper channels of requesting such from the Bishop," she said. "By the time the Bishop found out about the proposed show, the creators had a signed document of agreement from the King Ranch Colony Manager."
With a signed contract, the creators threatened legal action if the colony pulled out, according to Kirkby. They thus worked out an agreement with the creators agreeing to "accurately portray" the Hutterites.
The show began airing on May 29 and so far, the bishops aren't happy and believe the show is in "serious breach" of contract.
"We're very upset," Entz from Canada told CP.
The bishops initially trusted the National Geographic Channel, considering "its stellar reputation." But they now feel "betrayed."
"We are deeply saddened by the skewed image with which the public may now perceive the Hutterite faith and way of life. It is distorted and damaging," they stated.
Kirkby specified how the show has inaccurately portrayed the Hutterites:

hunting scenes with guns (Hutterites are pacifists)
the excessive bad language and disrespect for elders
the fake council meeting, held in the dining room instead of the church with no minister present and inappropriate topics and structure to the discussion
in the last episode about a Canadian wedding … the wedding was imaginary, according to sources at King Ranch colony. The underage teens were supplied with alcohol under the guise that they were in Canada where there is a lower drinking age. In addition, the dialogue and scenes regarding dating outside the colony was fiction with a real lack of thought given to any sort of accuracy.
"The situations are very contrived and staged and having spoken with Hutterites on both sides of the U.S. and Canadian border, they do not recognize themselves nor relate to the situations seen in 'American Colony,'" Kirkby said.
The bishops admit they're not "perfect" and do face many challenges. "Nevertheless, our vision is to live meaningful Christian lives in community as Christ has instructed us to do."
-------------

I wish I had a NG subscription so I could cancell it!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum