Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Old law rears it's head during shutdown....

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/143-year-old-law-has-lawmakers-treading-gingerly-during-shutdown-8C11319714

The law is the Antideficiency Act, passed by Congress in 1870 (and amended several times), which prohibits the government from incurring any monetary obligation for which Congress has not appropriated funds.

In shutting down the government, most memos cite the law as the reason. The Government Accountability Office says employees who violate the Antideficiency Act may be subject to disciplinary action, suspension and even "fines, imprisonment, or both."

CNBC has learned that in several executive branch departments, high-level staff members review individual decisions about what government activities to allow for fear of running afoul of the Antideficiency Act. One White House official said he has advised his employees not to check their email or cellphones. Under the act, even volunteering for government service is expressly prohibited.

In a memo to his department employees today, Treasury Secretary Jack Lew cited the law as the reason for reduced staffing.

"For the duration of this impasse, as required by the Antideficiency Act and directed by OMB, the Department will be required to operate with only the minimal staffing level necessary to execute only certain legally exempted activities," Lew wrote.

The only exemptions to the shutdown concern "emergencies involving the safety of human life or the protection of property," according to government documents. That has meant airports and the Postal Service are open, Social Security checks get paid and federal prisons and courts will operate as normal as do most national security functions including the military and the Central Intelligence Agency. But national parks and museums are closed along with big parts of the departments of Education and Commerce

I would like to bring back some old laws.

Old law rears it's head during shutdown.... Th?id=H.4684234242984638&w=209&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

I'm fine with the government shutdown.

This is day two and it hasn't affected me one iota as far as I can tell.

They can take as long as they need to decide to sit down and talk to the part of Congress that holds the purse strings, which happens to be the House Of Representatives.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xB4dbdNSXY

Smile 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

George W. wrote:I would like to bring back some old laws.
Oh good another colorful character, probably pretending to be a racist skinhead just for giggles and grins....who left the door open ?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Oh good another colorful character, probably pretending to be a racist skinhead just for giggles and grins....who left the door open ?

That's about as funny as someone posting on here that they're a Christian.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

George W. wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
You been here before...what happened was your daddy a preacher and you rebelled....? Anyway there are all manner of people here and if you are just going to sound the christian alarm you are going to be awfully boring....who made you Mr special and judge of all anyway...did you read some Richard Dawkins and get religion?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
George W. wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
You been here before...what happened was your daddy a preacher and you rebelled....?  Anyway there are all manner of people here and if you are just going to sound the christian alarm you are going to be awfully boring....who made you Mr special and judge of all anyway...did you read some  Richard  Dawkins and get religion?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Joanimaroni wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
George W. wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
You been here before...what happened was your daddy a preacher and you rebelled....?  Anyway there are all manner of people here and if you are just going to sound the christian alarm you are going to be awfully boring....who made you Mr special and judge of all anyway...did you read some  Richard  Dawkins and get religion?

That's kind of funny too.
Neither of you do much thinking.
You just repeat lies and dumb shit.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Joanimaroni wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
George W. wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Same old stuff in a new package yup...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Twisted Evil 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

SOLUTION=

Foes are members whose messages will not be visible and who won't be able to send you Private Messages or post on your Wall.
Note that you cannot ignore the moderators or the administrators.

Foes list
   boards of FL
   2seaoat
   George W.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

teo and joani,

I don't know if you two are thinking that George W is threadbare, but if you are, I can tell you with 100% certainty that he is not threadbare.
Of course even though I am 100% certain of that, I realize that you still may not take my word for it. But he is not threadbare.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:teo and joani,

I don't know if you two are thinking that George W is threadbare,  but if you are,  I can tell you with 100% certainty that he is not threadbare.
Of course even though I am 100% certain of that,  I realize that you still may not take my word for it.  But he is not threadbare.
Oh I do believe it's possible to have two smelly skunks on the same forum that look alike...so I will ignore them both ...

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:SOLUTION=

Foes are members whose messages will not be visible and who won't be able to send you Private Messages or post on your Wall.

Foes list
   boards of FL
   2seaoat
   George W.

Dammit!

I'm head of the smartass department, and I didn't even make the list.

I get no respect around here, I tells ya.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:SOLUTION=

Foes list
   boards of FL
   2seaoat
   George W.

Dammit!

I'm head of the smartass department, and I didn't even make the list.
I get no respect around here, I tells ya.
I actually kind of like you , it might take weeks of therapy to figure out why.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum