Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

In 1990, Steve Jobs explains what was about to revolutionize the world as we know it.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

pre·scient
ˈpreSH(ē)ənt,ˈprē-/
adjective
adjective: prescient

having or showing knowledge of events before they take place.

I stumbled onto this youtube today.  Starting at the 3:30 point on the time counter,  Steve Jobs explains what the two milestones of personal computers were up until that point (the interview took place in 1990).  And then at about 6:00 on the time counter,  he explains what will be the next milestone.  The one which would revolutionize just about everything in our world.  He's not using the term "internet",  because in 1990 the term was not yet in the popular vernacular (although the term had been coined years earlier).  
But he's enthusiastically describing to a clueless interviewer what everyone in the world would eventually come to know as the internet.
He is referring to it as "interpersonal computing".
What we are doing right now on this message forum.

This is like listening to Thomas Edison telling someone,  before it ever happened,  that electric light would eventually light up the world.

p.s.  by the way,  at this same time (and even after this),  Bill Gates was saying the internet would be a flash in the pan.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The term "internet" was first coined in 1974 as shorthand for "internetworking".

The invention of the internet is probably best described by this sentence from wiki...

By 1973
, they had worked out a fundamental reformulation, where the differences between network protocols were hidden by using a common internetwork protocol, and instead of the network being responsible for reliability, as in the ARPANET, the hosts became responsible

That concept is what eventually linked us all together. And "all" of course is potentially every human being on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet#Merging_the_networks_and_creating_the_Internet_.281973.E2.80.9390.29

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey Bob is this your lost Fetus....

http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/Mystery-jar-found-at-Cape-Coral-High-224912062.html

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey Bob is this your lost Fetus....

http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/Mystery-jar-found-at-Cape-Coral-High-224912062.html
I don't think it's mine but I'll check to see if it's still there.  lol

EDIT:  nah I just watched the beginning of the video and my fetus doesn't have any paperwork with it like that one does.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I got it in about 1997.
It's a crazy story. It was in the contents of a police property room in a closed up old New Orleans courthouse. The property room was the whole 4th floor of an ancient 5 story building.
Someone I knew got a Louisiana legislator friend to put the contents of the property room in one lot in an auction. And the only advertisement that the auction was going to be held was one little ad in the "legal ads" in the newspaper. He was the only bidder.
To meet the letter of the law, as the winner he was allowed to go into the property room only on Saturdays from 8 AM to 12 noon with a court bailiff always present. He took a crew of about three or four of his employees with him and went in there to retrieve the stuff over 13 Saturdays. And sometimes he took people he knew in with him. I got to go in twice with them. And we loaded up two big trucks and brought everything back to his warehouse. That's when I got the opportunity to buy stuff from him that he didn't want for himself.
Stuff had been put into the property room from about 1941 through the early sixties when it was abandoned. There was all manner of the weirdest stuff in there.
It was at the beginning of ebay and he didn't know anything about ebay but I did so he didn't realize what all would sell.
I made piles of stuff out of what he offered to sell me and I had to do it quickly. I threw the jar with the fetus into the pile and didn't even realize what was in it until I got home. When I saw what it was I just put it away in storage.

I'll never forget going in that property room. Nobody had been in it for decades and when we started moving around that kicked up more dust than the photos you've seen of the Dust Bowl. We had to wear surgical masks to even be able to breathe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum