Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Myth of the "Free Market" and How To Make the Economy Work for Us

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/free-market_b_3935173.html

One of the most deceptive ideas continuously sounded by the Right (and its fathomless think tanks and media outlets) is that the "free market" is natural and inevitable, existing outside and beyond government. So whatever inequality or insecurity it generates is beyond our control. And whatever ways we might seek to reduce inequality or insecurity -- to make the economy work for us -- are unwarranted constraints on the market's freedom, and will inevitably go wrong.

By this view, if some people aren't paid enough to live on, the market has determined they aren't worth enough. If others rake in billions, they must be worth it. If millions of Americans remain unemployed or their paychecks are shrinking or they work two or three part-time jobs with no idea what they'll earn next month or next week, that's too bad; it's just the outcome of the market.

According to this logic, government shouldn't intrude through minimum wages, high taxes on top earners, public spending to get people back to work, regulations on business, or anything else, because the "free market" knows best.

In reality, the "free market" is a bunch of rules about (1) what can be owned and traded (the genome? slaves? nuclear materials? babies? votes?); (2) on what terms (equal access to the internet? the right to organize unions? corporate monopolies? the length of patent protections? ); (3) under what conditions (poisonous drugs? unsafe foods? deceptive Ponzi schemes? uninsured derivatives? dangerous workplaces?) (4) what's private and what's public (police? roads? clean air and clean water? healthcare? good schools? parks and playgrounds?); (5) how to pay for what (taxes, user fees, individual pricing?). And so on.

These rules don't exist in nature; they are human creations. Governments don't "intrude" on free markets; governments organize and maintain them. Markets aren't "free" of rules; the rules define them.

The interesting question is what the rules should seek to achieve. They can be designed to maximize efficiency (given the current distribution of resources), or growth (depending on what we're willing to sacrifice to obtain that growth), or fairness (depending on our ideas about a decent society). Or some combination of all three -- which aren't necessarily in competition with one another. Evidence suggests, for example, that if prosperity were more widely shared, we'd have faster growth.

The rules can even be designed to entrench and enhance the wealth of a few at the top, and keep almost everyone else comparatively poor and economically insecure.

Which brings us to the central political question: Who should decide on the rules, and their major purpose? If our democracy was working as it should, presumably our elected representatives, agency heads, and courts would be making the rules roughly according to what most of us want the rules to be. The economy would be working for us; we wouldn't be working for the economy.

Instead, the rules are being made mainly by those with the power and resources to buy the politicians, regulatory heads, and even the courts (and the lawyers who appear before them). As income and wealth have concentrated at the top, so has political clout. And the most important clout is determining the rules of the game.

Not incidentally, these are the same people who want you and most others to believe in the fiction of an immutable "free market."

If we want to reduce the savage inequalities and insecurities that are now undermining our economy and democracy, we shouldn't be deterred by the myth of the "free market." We can make the economy work for us, rather than the other way around. But in order to change the rules, we must exert the power that is supposed to be ours.

Peace, Land, Bread.

PkrBum wrote:Peace, Land, Bread.
lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"Free market" has become another one of those goofy media things like "conservative" and "liberal".

All it really means is the competitive part of human nature.

There are two human nature dealies at work here.  Competition.  And the jesus look-out-for-our-brothers human nature dealie.

Both are our nature.  But we seem to be divided up into the two camps which believe only one is our nature.

I have no resolution to this.  All I can offer is Procol Harum.  

It's better than the alternative as communism failed, remember the former Soviet Union?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:It's better than the alternative as communism failed, remember the former Soviet Union?
Communism or unbridled capitalism are not the only options, pacedog.
Neither of those by itself works to our benefit.  
When some common sense is applied to make the two work together,  that is to our benefit and is a better alternative to either by itself.
Not perfect because there is no perfect way to control a society as big and complex and out of control as this. But it would be better than the idiot ideas we're saddled with now.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:It's better than the alternative as communism failed, remember the former Soviet Union?
When some common sense is applied to make the two work together,  that is to our benefit and is a better alternative to either by itself.
Not perfect because there is no perfect way to control a society as big and complex and out of control as this.  But it would be better than the idiot ideas we're saddled with now.
We have never had "unbridled" capitalism. Well, perhaps in Jamestown our first colony.

Capitalism has made us the greatest, most successful nation the world has ever seen. Why do you demand that be destroyed?

Massive regulations, which have gone out of control these past five years have so choked capitalism that it cannot possibly work as intended.

It has gotten so bad in New York that there is a new, burgeoning underground business. Who knew that eating dinner would be illegal?

Chefs and others have formed an underground business where dinners are served in private residences and other locations. There are web sites where they are advertised and where you pay in advance. Anywhere from $40.00 per person to several hundred. Most are for fewer than 20 people at secret locations.

God bless America!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

Capitalism has made us the greatest, most successful nation the world has ever seen.  Why do you demand that be destroyed?

I practiced the most pure form of capitalism every day for 40 years.  In ways that Dick Fuld never even heard about. Why on earth would I want to destroy it.  I love it.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:
Not perfect because there is no perfect way to control a society as big and complex and out of control as this.  But it would be better than the idiot ideas we're saddled with now.
We have never had "unbridled" capitalism.  Well, perhaps in Jamestown our first colony.

Capitalism has made us the greatest, most successful nation the world has ever seen.  Why do you demand that be destroyed?

Massive regulations, which have gone out of control these past five years have so choked capitalism that it cannot possibly work as intended.

It has gotten so bad in New York that there is a new, burgeoning underground business.  Who knew that eating dinner would be illegal?

Chefs and others have formed an underground business where dinners are served in private residences and other locations.  There are web sites where they are advertised and where you pay in advance.  Anywhere from $40.00 per person to several hundred.  Most are for fewer than 20 people at secret locations.

God bless America!
Ah, yes, the American way.  But who could have foreseen that the financial sector would rob the people by selling worthless junk on the market and betting both for and against their worthless junk?  Meanwhile, the entities that wrote these mortgages were accepting anything that "had a pulse".  Companies like Countrywide, one of the worst offenders, had zero regulation and zero accountability, because they weren't banks and the big boys were buying the stuff right out of their hands and bundling it into worthless, but nevertheless, AAA-rated crap.  And then when the SHTF, the financial markets needed a bailout, courtesy of the US taxpayer.  Not only did the people pay off US debt; they also paid off foreign debt.

It's not rocket science.  It's plain to see that the people at large were robbed in 2008...not to mention the hit the stock market took on 9/11...also not to mention that city, county and state finances were tied to these worthless derivatives...and the pensions of both public and private sectors.  If you refuse to see that, just wave your crappy little flag and sing God Bless America.  Some people cannot see the forest for the trees...or they're too interested in their own outcomes...screw what happens to their neighbors.

"In a higher phase of communist society... only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be fully left behind and society inscribe on its banners: from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:"In a higher phase of communist society... only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be fully left behind and society inscribe on its banners: from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."
Do you know that the first "slaves" in this country weren't black but were indentured servants of the British aristocracy...that they weren't "free" in Great Britain and weren't free in the colonies either...in fact, the so-called aristocrats considered their vassals as little more than property.

We can go deeper than that... the institution of slavery was imported here long before the revolution. It was practiced throughout the world. We were only a few decades behind the english, french... etc in abolition. Of course they didn't require a civil war.

An indentured servant however... still exists. That absolute math you think unbendable is the new crack of the whip.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:We can go deeper than that... the institution of slavery was imported here long before the revolution. It was practiced throughout the world. We were only a few decades behind the english, french... etc in abolition. Of course they didn't require a civil war.

An indentured servant however... still exists. That absolute math you think unbendable is the new crack of the whip.
Read what I said...math has rules that are immutable. It's only when you get into advanced theory that rules can be nebulous...but none of that matters to the average person. For practical, day-to-day applications, math is exact.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:"Free market" has become another one of those goofy media things like "conservative" and "liberal".

All it really means is the competitive part of human nature.

There are two human nature dealies at work here.  Competition.  And the jesus look-out-for-our-brothers human nature dealie.

Both are our nature.  But we seem to be divided up into the two camps which believe only one is our nature.

I have no resolution to this.  All I can offer is Procol Harum.  

Thanks, Bob. That's one of my all-time favorites.

Tell me what happens to markets and competition when a big buyer moves into your market from say...New York...with a load of cash...and starts buying up all the stuff you're interested in...shipping it to Japan or Singapore for retooling (because of cheap labor) and selling it in Europe for top dollar. I'm just giving you a hypothetical...look at agriculture...look at banking...how the hometown bank gets squeezed out by the megabank. How certain businesses game the system...including the political system...to get their defense contracts or whatever, their subsidies, tax breaks, etc.

What you fail to realize is that there is either a free market... or there is not. Common sense rules and the govt as an arbiter gave way to progressive controls and agenda driven edicts... long ago. Once the govt had a biased controlling interest... there was no free market. Ever noticed all the tangents to each noble progressive cause? Control is effective ownership... ask the nazis.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:What you fail to realize is that there is either a free market... or there is not. Common sense rules and the govt as an arbiter gave way to progressive controls and agenda driven edicts... long ago. Once the govt had a biased controlling interest... there was no free market. Ever noticed all the tangents to each noble progressive cause? Control is effective ownership... ask the nazis.
Please don't try to school me in the Third Reich. Because my dad was 100% German, I have studied that subject most of my life. You don't seem to understand the immutable fact that the Nazis were fascists. When our government bows to corporations and the wealthy, that is "effective ownership". The only way I know that we can move in the other direction is through campaign finance reform. If you happen to have any other ideas...and I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you, if you'd stop calling me "comrade".

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:What you fail to realize is that there is either a free market... or there is not. Common sense rules and the govt as an arbiter gave way to progressive controls and agenda driven edicts... long ago. Once the govt had a biased controlling interest... there was no free market. Ever noticed all the tangents to each noble progressive cause? Control is effective ownership... ask the nazis.
Please don't try to school me in the Third Reich.  Because my dad was 100% German, I have studied that subject most of my life.  You don't seem to understand the immutable fact that the Nazis were fascists.  When our government bows to corporations and the wealthy, that is "effective ownership".  The only way I know that we can move in the other direction is through campaign finance reform.  If you happen to have any other ideas...and I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you, if you'd stop calling me "comrade".  
No one would try to school you on anything. Once you've chugged the Cool Aide from your far left Progressive sources, FACTS and TRUTH have proven to be useless.

Your motto of "I've already made up my mind, don't confuse me with the FACTS is well known here.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Please don't try to school me in the Third Reich.  Because my dad was 100% German, I have studied that subject most of my life.  You don't seem to understand the immutable fact that the Nazis were fascists.  When our government bows to corporations and the wealthy, that is "effective ownership".  The only way I know that we can move in the other direction is through campaign finance reform.  If you happen to have any other ideas...and I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you, if you'd stop calling me "comrade".  
No one would try to school you on anything.  Once you've chugged the Cool Aide from your far left Progressive sources, FACTS and TRUTH have proven to be useless.

Your motto of "I've already made up my mind, don't confuse me with the FACTS is well known here.
Says the planted shill with the RNC playbook on his hard drive.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
No one would try to school you on anything.  Once you've chugged the Cool Aide from your far left Progressive sources, FACTS and TRUTH have proven to be useless.

Says the planted shill with the RNC playbook on his hard drive.
The Myth of the "Free Market" and How To Make the Economy Work for Us Animatedlaughter

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum