Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ivan-9 years ago, today

+6
knothead
TEOTWAWKI
Joanimaroni
cool1
Nekochan
stormwatch89
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 10:03 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

http://betterdaysarecoming.com/views/hurricane_ivan/ivan.html

Blach!

2Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 10:09 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

9 years. wow.  We were in Japan. I remember reading the  PNJ forums to see information about the area.  The PNJ forums during that time were so nice.  People trying to help each other.

3Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 10:14 am

I went to Atlanta. What the ex wife didn't take at the divorce in May when I got back from Iraq, Ivan took in September. Going through same process again minus the hurricane now. Probably 0 percent chance I remarry while I wear this uniform because women say one thing about you bring gone, but live another way once deployed or TDY.

4Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 10:17 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

PACEDOG#1 wrote:I went to Atlanta. What the ex wife didn't take at the divorce in May when I got back from Iraq, Ivan took in September.  Going through same process again minus the hurricane now. Probably 0 percent chance I remarry while I wear this uniform because women say one thing about you bring gone, but live another way once deployed or TDY.
Not all women are like that.  A lot are, but not all.  Deployments are difficult, no doubt.  But if a woman cannot live without her man being there all the time, she shouldn't marry a military man.

5Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 10:35 am

cool1

cool1

A day I wont forget --Rolling Eyes 

6Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 10:59 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I was OOT and my family at home. Lot's of worries and heartache for me. Lost contact with my daughter and son in law ( in Tiger Point)at 3 am. Last words "we are scared - our roof collapsed". OMG.

7Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:03 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

sorry for your terrible loss. My Son had his whole house and everything they owned washed away only the foundation remained. He was lucky I reckon.

8Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:09 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

It was horrible. I lived on Bay Street for 20 years and remember walking through the devastation on Bay Street towards my home debating whether or not my home would be there. It wasn't and after that I completely blacked out. No memories for the next few hours. Very strange.

A few days later I took my trusty Jinx with me and it broke my heart to see her climb through the rubble to find her favorite spot. No walls, nothing, but she managed to find it and sadly lay down.

Nine years and 8 moves later, I'm resettled and feel very grateful!

9Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:14 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

TEOTWAWKI wrote:sorry for your terrible loss. My Son had his whole house and everything they owned washed away only the foundation remained. He was lucky I reckon.
So many of us were in the same situation, Teo. I remember going to Tally afterwards and standing in a Walmart. My husband and I looked at each other and said simply: "There is nothing we don't need!"

Yet, there's always a bright spot. My Daughters met me in Tally and had a trunk full of clothes, food etc. It was a loving gesture I'll never forget!

10Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:17 am

knothead

knothead

Because I live on PB the memory of this storm was the worst of them all.
What a nightmare for us all.

11Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:29 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

stormwatch89 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:sorry for your terrible loss. My Son had his whole house and everything they owned washed away only the foundation remained. He was lucky I reckon.
So many of us were in the same situation, Teo.  I remember going to Tally afterwards and standing in a Walmart.  My husband and I looked at each other and said simply:  "There is nothing we don't need!"

Yet, there's always a bright spot.  My Daughters met me in Tally and had a trunk full of clothes, food etc.  It was a loving gesture I'll never forget!
Seems like there is always something to be grateful even in the most dire situation. The Churches of Christ across the country sent my son a couple years supply of diapers , baby food and clothes and gave him so much money that he felt compelled to return most of it.

12Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:38 am

2seaoat

I remember 5 feet of sand in the parking lot, and utter destruction. I remember the check points on Navarre which were suppose to stop looters, but just hassled residents, as we had to have an id which they created. The black flies were just horrible. I remember going to walmart and getting a marine battery and an inverter and running a lamp, my laptop, and people stopping by wondering how I got power........but what I remember most of all is how incredibly lazy people were to do their own clean up. I was going to have the dump and bobcat clearing things immediately, but the HOA was incapable of making decisions, but most of all I saw greed as people wanted to get as much insurance as possible, even when damages were minimum in some cases. I remember walking the Navarre Holiday Inn and seeing utter destruction. I remember when Opal had damaged the Navarre Pier, but Ivan had destroyed the same. I saw things I never even imagined, and at that time I came to the realization that I had to get off the island because mother nature would always win.

13Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 11:52 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I hit every Walmart along the interstate from Tampa to Tallahassee, on my  way home. In each store I encountered frantic people buying supplies for family and friends in our area. I even ran into multiple people I knew.

Travelling from Tallahassee to Gulf Breeze, took almost 12 hours. I was with my sister in law.....but we split up in Tallahassee. I stopped and got my daughter's car and her room mate had gotten me 24 one gallon gas cans. She had filled them up and loaded the trunk of the car. We were stopped on the interstate barely moving. In the emergency lane there was a continuous convoy for 5 or more hours of emergency personnel travelling to our area. Sheriff cars from almost every  mid and south Fl county, military vehicles, fire personnel and power trucks from as far away as New York. 

While on the interstate the cars surrounding us were National guard personnel in there private  vehicles. They had been activated to help.

It was a time for unity.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 9/16/2013, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 12:07 pm

It is a Good thing it will never happen again. Palms on the beach, Ball Park on the water. All is good. What? Me worry?

15Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 1:03 pm

Jake92

I remember the power company trucks and crews from faw away including Canada, and lots of different states..  They thanked us for allowing them to help..  :-)  There were also lumberjacks from Wisconsin and Canada who came down to help with the trees..  Thank you all for helping us..  We will never forget it..

I also remember many people sitting around doing nothing but complaining that nobody was helping them, but too lazy to do anything themselves..
One of the worst memories was the GREED of the local contractors who tripled the price of roof repairs or any other repairs to houses or businesses, the lazy people who complained about the cost of having the sand removed from their condo on the beach or tree branches removed from their driveways on the mainland, while they sat around drinking margaritas or non alcoholic drinks while local teenagers were working their butts off to remove the sand from somebody's garage and others working to clear the driveways by hand with no chainsaws or tools (many many small branches and trash) and never being offered a simple glass of water or anything..  I very quickly quit doing electrical work because of the customers and the way they treated the workers trying to fix their damaged homes and businesses.  The contractors with their double or triple costs were also a reason I quit the trade.. I understand some people are unable to do manual labor, but there were a LOT of them sitting around drinking while complaining that they couldn't get their corvette or other car out of the driveway because of the tree branches..

Last edited by Jake92 on 9/16/2013, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a comment.)

16Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 1:15 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I stayed with some extended family (actually, my ex-husband and his father-in-law) in Milton during Ivan. Along with me, they put up with my two dogs and two cats. Saints, they are. (The ex and I realized many, many years ago that we were better as friends than we ever were married.)

It was three days before I could finally get home. My next door neighbor's house had been demolished by an oak tree, but mine was standing. I had an oak tree in my yard and other trees down in my back yard. I learned to be proficient with a chain saw - I did all that work myself.

It was six months before I could finally reach a settlement at with Citizens through arbitration. They were horrendous to deal with. A nightmare. The day before the arbitration hearing, they were calling me at 0700, all through the day, and again at 2330 at night.

The morning after the settlement, I received a really nasty call from the Citizen's rep with whom I had been dealing. Just plain mean, he was.

I was lucky. Technically, my house should have been torn down per the city. I'm glad they never checked into my situation.

My carpenter, whom I later married, helped me restore the house to the best of our ability. The only work he didn't do personally was the total roof replacement. He also went with me to arbitration.

I am a lucky woman.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 9/16/2013, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 1:19 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I think I have PTSD related to Ivan. It was a long time before I could comfortably leave my house even to go to work or the store. I had an irrational fear that it wouldn't be there when I returned.

I'm not an agoraphobe, but there are times when I still have trouble leaving the house for long. I didn't have that problem prior to Ivan.

Stormy, I expect you share my feelings here. I was so sure my house would be gone, based on all the news I was receiving while I was in Milton. When I saw my house was still standing, I just sat down on the ground with my face in my hands for heaven knows how long. Crying or Very sad 

18Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 1:24 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PBulldog2 wrote:I stayed with some extended family (actually, my ex-husband and his father-in-law) in Milton during Ivan. Along with me, they put up with my two dogs and two cats. Saints, they are. (The ex and I realized many, many years ago that we were better as friends than we ever were married.)

It was three days before I could finally get home. My next door neighbor's house had been demolished by an oak tree, but mine was standing. I had an oak tree in my yard and other trees down in my back yard. I learned to be proficient with a chain saw - I did all that work myself.

It was six months before I could finally reach a settlement at with Citizens through arbitration. They were horrendous to deal with. A nightmare. The day before the arbitration hearing, they were calling me at 0700, all through the day, and again at 2330 at night.

The morning after the settlement, I received a really nasty call from the Citizen's rep with whom I had been dealing. Just plain mean, he was.

I was lucky. Technically, my house should have been torn down per the city. I'm glad they never checked into my situation.

My carpenter, whom I later married, helped me restore the house to the best of our ability. The only work he didn't do personally was the total roof replacement. He also went with me to arbitration.

I am a lucky woman.
You married your carpenter ? Who knew Ivan was a matchmaker..LOL

My next door neighbor loved the gum in the MREs when she first got them but found out later it was a laxative in a bad way...

19Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 1:47 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

You married your carpenter ? Who knew Ivan was a matchmaker..LOL

My next door neighbor loved the gum in the MREs when she first got them but found out later it was a laxative in a bad way...[/quote]

Yep, I married my carpenter. Ivan introduced us, and for that I am grateful! Very Happy  My husband is the silver lining on what was an otherwise dark and ferocious cloud.

20Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 2:25 pm

cool1

cool1

I remember hiding behind my computer chair and praying loudly.

Last edited by cool1 on 9/16/2013, 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 2:27 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

We closed the office downtown and sent everyone home. The wife and I elected to ride the storm out rather than flee. Several of my coworkers fled to Memphis, where my employer was headquartered.

We put up our storm shutters, and stood fast. We had a large oak tree in the back yeard about 12 feet out from the house, and worried about whether it would stand or fall. It rode through Erin and Opal just fine.

By midnight, the floor was vibrating from the force of the hurricane, and I moved the family into the hallway, where we hunkered down. We had lost electricity a couple of hours earlier, but still had phone service, so we kept in touch with our oldest daughter, who was also hunkered in place with her family in her house a few blocks away.

The crown of the oak tree came down, but landed between the house and our storage shed, sparing both. The next morning, one of my coworkers who fled to Memphis called me at home, saying she had seen our office building on CNN, with brickwork destroyed right where her office had been.

Our house stood fine. The oak tree is now gone, and we have retrofitted gable-end-bracing and double-strapping on each roof joist, so I am confident it will withstand future storms.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

22Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 2:29 pm

Jake92

I had Rebuild NW Florida update my house and thankfully it hasn't been tested yet...

23Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 2:35 pm

cool1

cool1

Jake92 wrote:I had Rebuild NW Florida update my house and thankfully it hasn't been tested yet...

And hopefully it wont Jake --Wink 

24Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 3:22 pm

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PBulldog2 wrote:I think I have PTSD related to Ivan. It was a long time before I could comfortably leave my house even to go to work or the store. I had an irrational fear that it wouldn't be there when I returned.

I'm not an agoraphobe, but there are times when I still have trouble leaving the house for long. I didn't have that problem prior to Ivan.

Stormy, I expect you share my feelings here. I was so sure my house would be gone, based on all the news I was receiving while I was in Milton. When I saw my house was still standing, I just sat down on the ground with my face in my hands for heaven knows how long. Crying or Very sad 
I get chills thinking how it brought you a great husband, PB.  What a silver lining!!!

I remember Opal more than Ivan that way.  We weren't allowed on the beach and my GB house stood, although damaged.  We climbed up on the roof with binoculars looking over to the beach house we had and kept saying:  "Yeah, it's there.  I'm sure I see it!"

Needless to say, it wasn't.

25Ivan-9 years ago, today Empty Re: Ivan-9 years ago, today 9/16/2013, 8:01 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Jake92 wrote:I had Rebuild NW Florida update my house and thankfully it hasn't been tested yet...
Yep, they did our house in 2010. We already had hurricane shutters and storm-proof garqage doors, so only needed strapping and bracing up in the attic.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum