Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 27, 2014: Cincinnati Reds Coming to Pensacola to Play Wahoos in Exhibition Game

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130911/SPORTS/309110015/Reds-agree-to-exhibition-game-in-2014

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

What a thrill for those big leaguers ...

Sal wrote:What a thrill for those big leaguers ...

I am going to wager they will so impressed with Stooderville The Major Leaguers  will not want to leave.  Some of the Blue Yahoos will be forced to trade places with the pros.  Good news as it just makes the city more money.  The city is really doing great with the advent of the new ball park.  We are rich and now famous.  Thanks again Mr Studer for all you do for Pensacola.

These guys are all ready at the airport. We can get them to change their signs to "Welcome Red Soxs"
March 27, 2014: Cincinnati Reds Coming to Pensacola to Play Wahoos in Exhibition Game Bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=DP&Date=20130910&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=309100801&Ref=PH&Item=7&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90

Sal

Sal

Mr Ichi wrote:
Sal wrote:What a thrill for those big leaguers ...

I am going to wager they will so impressed with Stooderville The Major Leaguers  will not want to leave.  Some of the Blue Yahoos will be forced to trade places with the pros.  Good news as it just makes the city more money.  The city is really doing great with the advent of the new ball park.  We are rich and now famous.  Thanks again Mr Studer for all you do for Pensacola.

Well, certainly the Reds organization will have to change the name of their ballpark from Great American Ballpark after seeing Stooderville's claim to that title.

So I guess the Official name is now "The Blue Wahoos Stadium"?

The Cincinnati Reds have agreed to play the Pensacola Blue Wahoos on March 27 at the Blue Wahoos stadium
The exhibition game is one of three baseball events in March at Blue Wahoos stadium.
The Reds will play an exhibition game next season at Blue Wahoos stadium. / Bruce Graner/bgraner@pnj.com

2seaoat

The table is being set to bring spring training to Biloxi, Mobile, and Pensacola. Cincinnati is about a 12 hour drive to Pensacola. The hotels are in place in all three communities to handle the spring training crowd, and it would extend the use of the stadium for two more months with significant crowds watching spring training. The Biloxi stadium is the key. I am going over there in two weeks and a friend's company owns a parking lot which they are wanting to be made part of the ball park. Birmingham's new stadium doubled its attendance. The problem with adding other sites is that the further north you go, the colder it can get in early march. Another problem will be the rain totals in the Gulf in March and early April. There will be people working for this goal, and the reds coming to town is just the beginning of the process. The spring training contracts and commitments are out 3-5 years minimum, and this could be the incentive to get some hotel build out and other commercial spill over once spring training for part or all of the spring finds its way to the gulf coast.

The hotels are in place in all three communities to handle the spring training crowd

What are the names of the downtown Pensacola Hotels that are going to handle the spring training influx?

2seaoat

People will be spending time at the beach.....the same way they do when most of spring training was in south Florida. I have told stories about going to spring training in Scottsdale, and how amazing the crowds were. I went to a Cub game at the San Francisco stadium in old Scottsdale, it was incredible how folks spilled out and filled the restaurants up. They had amazing choice of vendors who surrounded the stadium, and it was generally almost too many people.

It there was a commitment in three years to a spring training cycle, I am certain that you would get construction closer to the stadium, but people are going to use the existing facilities.

Very exciting prospect, and a great way to see some young players who will eventually play and star.

Sal

Sal

Are they going to play in the Grapefruit or Cactus league?

I believe the team currently playing the furthest north in the Grapefruit is the Braves in Orlando.

Seems unlikely.

but people are going to use the existing facilities.

Please name the existing facilities. Thanks

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I would imagine they will stay at Portofino.

I sent you a PM.

Blue Wahoos team president Bruce Baldwin said it cost the team between $90,000 to $100,000 to bring the Reds to Pensacola. Team owners Quint and Rishy Studer gave the approval to make the game happen.

It will be the first time since 1958 that a Major League Baseball team has played in Pensacola.

“If it’s $100,000 or $150,000 I think it is worth it for this community,” Baldwin said. “I think it is just one of those moments you just mark down
.”
The game was originally announced for March 27, but a revised spring training schedule has the Reds playing that day in Goodyear, Ariz., their spring training home.

“We’ll fly (charter flight) from Phoenix to PensacoIa and get in late that night (March 27), play the game and then leave after the game for Cincinnati,” Bavasi said.

Hell Yea!!! That's the spirit!! 150,000 dollars aint shit to Pensacola. Woot Woot!! I am ready.

196 days
until Thursday March 27 2014
a Thursday 6 months and 15 days from today

2seaoat

Pensacola Beach has a huge inventory of hotel and condo rooms.

Oh I forgot. Pensacola Beach is close enough. Spring training will be the next big thing that will "Save" Pensacola. LOL I noticed they dont even try to call it a "Multi Use Stadium" any more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum