Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

culturally acceptable term of love and endearment

+2
Nekochan
gulfbeachbandit
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

NY case puts N-word use among blacks on trial
September 03, 2013 07:17 GMT

By LARRY NEUMEISTER Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York City federal jury has rejected the argument that use of the N-word among blacks can be a culturally acceptable term of love and endearment, deciding its use in the workplace is hostile and discriminatory.

Jurors last week awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages to a black employment agency worker who was the target of an N-word-laced rant by her black boss. They return Tuesday to decide on punitive damages.

The case against Rob Carmona and the employment agency STRIVE East Harlem gave legal airing to the complex debate about blacks' use of the word.

Former employee Brandi Johnson told jurors that Carmona's 2012 tirade made her feel offended, hurt and degraded.

Carmona told jurors that among blacks, the word is often used as a term of affection.

Nekochan

Nekochan

This is a very interesting ruling.   And a good one, I think.  If the "N" word had been used as a "term of affection" by a white employee towards this same black boss, would that boss think it was sweet and friendly?

Nekochan

Nekochan

More on this case:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57601041/use-of-n-word-among-blacks-on-trial-in-n.y-case/

nadalfan

No boss should be using any "term of affection" in the workplace, he should know better.

Slicef18

Slicef18

nadalfan wrote:No boss should be using any "term of affection" in the workplace, he should know better.
I suspect the boss's use of the "N" word was not a term of affection as he stated.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I agree with both of you. It's unacceptable any how, way, shape or form.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Nekochan wrote:I agree with both of you.  It's unacceptable any how, way, shape or form.
Unless you're a rapper.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Can I think the word or is that a crime? I am going to sit here and think it until someone tells me I can't ...I mean since the is no one here I may just whisper it out loud..hope to hell my iphone isn't being monitored....

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't know Teo...the federal thought police are probably listening to your thoughts though!

But this isn't a case of "thinking" a word and it isn't a criminal case.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Nekochan wrote:I don't know Teo...the federal thought police are probably listening to your thoughts though!  

Give em an inch they will take your life...culturally acceptable term of love and endearment Kislya10

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Slicef18 wrote:
nadalfan wrote:No boss should be using any "term of affection" in the workplace, he should know better.
I suspect the boss's use of the "N" word was not a term of affection as he stated.
Yes, what a lame excuse indeed. Do people usually associate the term "rant" with terms of endearment? I think not.

As for all of us white folks (I'm assuming here)chiming in on the use of the N word and how it effects others...that strikes me as a tad odd. It would be like asking a skinny person how it feels to be discriminated against because you are morbidly obese. No thin person can truly get that situation.

culturally acceptable term of love and endearment Th?id=H.4667088707847405&pid=1

Well... If you despise them all equally it kinda' evens out doesn't it?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRkCemeV7k

Smile 

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:
Yes, what a lame excuse indeed. Do people usually associate the term "rant" with terms of endearment? I think not.

As for all of us white folks (I'm assuming here)chiming in on the use of the N word and how it effects others...that strikes me as a tad odd. It would be like asking a skinny person how it feels to be discriminated against because you are morbidly obese. No thin person can truly get that situation.

I just think we need equality in the workplace. A boss shouldn't say anything to a white employee that he/she wouldn't say to a black employee and vise-verse.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Nekochan wrote:I don't know Teo...the federal thought police are probably listening to your thoughts though!  

Give em an inch they will take your life...culturally acceptable term of love and endearment Kislya10
Is that real picture,Teo?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

I just think we need equality in the workplace.   A boss shouldn't say anything to a white employee that he/she wouldn't say to a black employee and vise-verse.
That would work. In this particular situation I just think it is folly for white people to try and sound as if they have an educated opinion.  It was a black/black encounter in a employment agency setting. He may have thought he was offering her his tough love advice re how she was dressed but went too far even for that.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dreamsglore wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Is that real picture,Teo?
Yes it was NAZIS hanging protesters...

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

I just think we need equality in the workplace.   A boss shouldn't say anything to a white employee that he/she wouldn't say to a black employee and vise-verse.
That would work. In this particular situation I just think it is folly for white people to try and sound as if they have an educated opinion.  It was a black/black encounter in a employment agency setting. He may have thought he was offering her his tough love advice re how she was dressed but went too far even for that.
I am not speaking as to how the boss' words made the employee "feel". I am speaking as to equality in the work place and in treating EVERY employee of every color with decency. You can't have different rules about speech used because of an employee's (or boss') race or color.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It was in 1981 in Mobile, Alabama that the last known lynching of a black man took place in this country. This is just unbelievable to me but true it is. Read this short article if you're interested in a bit of local(ish) history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Donald

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:It was in 1981 in Mobile, Alabama that the last known lynching of a black man took place in this country. This is just unbelievable to me but true it is. Read this short article if you're interested in a bit of local(ish) history.

I remember that case. Purely disgusting and evil.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:It was in 1981 in Mobile, Alabama that the last known lynching of a black man took place in this country. This is just unbelievable to me but true it is. Read this short article if you're interested in a bit of local(ish) history.

I remember that case.  Purely disgusting and evil.
I was living in Arkansas at the time but my husband and I were trying to remember the date of that lynching and were guessing the 1960's which would have been horrifying enough but to think it was 1981, well, good grief. And the crazy men just picked someone at random.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum