This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Whats a BOT?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Whats a BOT?  Empty Whats a BOT? on 8/18/2010, 8:22 am

Guest


Guest
I see in the users section we have 1 BOT online, a Google Bot.

what the hell is that?

2Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 8/18/2010, 3:57 pm

I think it's some sort of automatic program that runs...and does stuff...

View user profile

3Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 8/18/2010, 5:14 pm

Guest


Guest
A bot (short for "robot") is a program that operates as an agent for a user or another program or simulates a human activity. On the Internet, the most ubiquitous bots are the programs, also called spiders or crawlers, that access Web sites and gather their content for search engine indexes.

4Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 8/18/2010, 6:29 pm

Guest


Guest
RetiredAF wrote:A bot (short for "robot") is a program that operates as an agent for a user or another program or simulates a human activity. On the Internet, the most ubiquitous bots are the programs, also called spiders or crawlers, that access Web sites and gather their content for search engine indexes.

Wow. that sounds all star treky.

So what you're saying is I got here just time this morning to catch the google bot archiving our info.

awsome.........

and you sound like a very smart computer fella. Yes, I just gave you a compliment. Very Happy

5Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 8/18/2010, 6:33 pm

Guest


Guest
Chrissy8 wrote:
RetiredAF wrote:A bot (short for "robot") is a program that operates as an agent for a user or another program or simulates a human activity. On the Internet, the most ubiquitous bots are the programs, also called spiders or crawlers, that access Web sites and gather their content for search engine indexes.

Wow. that sounds all star treky.

So what you're saying is I got here just time this morning to catch the google bot archiving our info.

awsome.........

and you sound like a very smart computer fella. Yes, I just gave you a compliment. Very Happy


WOW, Chrissy passing on a compliment. Better check the weather in hell, it may be under a freeze warning. lol!

6Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 8/18/2010, 7:00 pm

Guest


Guest
RetiredAF wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:
RetiredAF wrote:A bot (short for "robot") is a program that operates as an agent for a user or another program or simulates a human activity. On the Internet, the most ubiquitous bots are the programs, also called spiders or crawlers, that access Web sites and gather their content for search engine indexes.

Wow. that sounds all star treky.

So what you're saying is I got here just time this morning to catch the google bot archiving our info.

awsome.........

and you sound like a very smart computer fella. Yes, I just gave you a compliment. Very Happy


WOW, Chrissy passing on a compliment. Better check the weather in hell, it may be under a freeze warning. lol!

Twisted Evil Laughing Razz

7Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 6/25/2012, 8:34 pm

Guest


Guest
Its a baby robot.

8Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 6/26/2012, 1:59 pm

Guest


Guest
When I was doing websites, in the "head", I used to include language something like "robots=" and put a timeframe for how often a site like Google should come back and check for new content (daily, weekly, monthly, etc).

At the top of websites, there is a section called a "Head" that people don't ordinarily see and it contains all kinds of information like what kind of software created the page, the type of language is used, and all sorts of things.

On a web page, the "body" is where stuff is put to display to the viewers. If you right-click on a page, your browser will usually give you a "view page source" choice. If you follow that link a bunch of (technical term here) gobbledygook displays. This is what your computer sees and converts to what you see on your screen.

9Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 6/26/2012, 9:18 pm

Yomama wrote:When I was doing websites, in the "head", I used to include language something like "robots=" and put a timeframe for how often a site like Google should come back and check for new content (daily, weekly, monthly, etc).

At the top of websites, there is a section called a "Head" that people don't ordinarily see and it contains all kinds of information like what kind of software created the page, the type of language is used, and all sorts of things.

On a web page, the "body" is where stuff is put to display to the viewers. If you right-click on a page, your browser will usually give you a "view page source" choice. If you follow that link a bunch of (technical term here) gobbledygook displays. This is what your computer sees and converts to what you see on your screen.

You got me on that, Eric! You talking about metadata too? I had a website for my articles but ol' Yahoo shut it down so I lost it all. Still have the articles but ticked because it took me a long time to set up that website.
I think I used to put stuff in my metadata (is that what it is called?). I'm not good with html and only know a teeny bit.

View user profile

10Whats a BOT?  Empty Re: Whats a BOT? on 6/27/2012, 11:53 am

Guest


Guest
Azadeh wrote:
You got me on that, Eric! You talking about metadata too? I had a website for my articles but ol' Yahoo shut it down so I lost it all. Still have the articles but ticked because it took me a long time to set up that website.
I think I used to put stuff in my metadata (is that what it is called?).
I'm not good with html and only know a teeny bit. I'm not good at it either, Az. Your metadata, title, keywords and a bunch of stuff can go in the Head.

I'm still using Microsoft's discontinued FrontPage to edit the two websites I currently edit. It's archaic but I'm used to it.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum