Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Feds loosen up on weed

+6
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
othershoe1030
2seaoat
Sal
boards of FL
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Feds loosen up on weed Empty Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 4:53 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/politics/holder-marijuana-laws/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Washington (CNN) -- The Justice Department said it won't try to block state laws that legalize marijuana and issued loosened enforcement guidelines for federal prosecutors intended to focus on serious trafficking cases.

Attorney General Eric Holder, in a conference call Thursday morning, notified the governors of Colorado and Washington that the department, for now, will not seek to pre-empt those states' laws, which followed voters' approval of ballot measures that legalized recreational marijuana use.

Marijuana will remain illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. But the attorney general issued a memo to federal prosecutors in all states tightening federal marijuana prosecution standards.

Under the guidelines, federal prosecutors are required to focus on eight enforcement priorities, including preventing marijuana distribution to minors, preventing drugged driving, stopping drug trafficking by gangs and cartels, and forbidding the cultivation of marijuana on public lands.

The new guidelines have been months in the making and took on some urgency after citizens in Colorado and Washington approved the ballot measures last fall. Nineteen states and the District of Columbia allow some legal use of marijuana, primarily for medicinal purposes.

The attorney general told the Washington and Colorado governors that the Justice Department will work with the states to craft regulations that fall in line with the federal priorities, and reserves the right to try to block the laws if federal authorities find repeated violations.

The memo to prosecutors also seeks to address one common complaint from medicinal marijuana dispensaries in some states, which have been subject to raids by federal agents because they were deemed too big or profitable.

The size and profitability of marijuana businesses will still be a factor prosecutors can consider, but there also must be additional illegal activities for prosecutors to take action.

The new guidelines don't change federal money laundering rules, meaning that some large banks may still be leery of doing business with marijuana producers and sellers. However, Justice Department officials said there is some leeway for banks to provide services to such businesses, so long as they don't violate the eight priorities being assigned to federal prosecutors.

2Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 4:54 pm

Sal

Sal

Finally, a solid step back from the disastrous war on drugs.

cheers 

3Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 6:51 pm

2seaoat

It cannot happen fast enough.

4Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 9:22 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Is there a chance that those in prison for non-violent drug offenses might hope to have their sentences reviewed and lessened? That would be justified but I know, unlikely.

5Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 10:31 pm

Boards said:

preventing drugged driving

Where is the test for that? I know many cops in the area and there is none for DRUGGED driving.

6Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 10:51 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You don't have to be drugged or drunk, cops can arrest and jail you for reckless driving anytime.

7Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 10:57 pm

2seaoat

If an officer has probable cause, they can get a warrant for a blood draw. Most blood draws will pick up most drugs. Since March of this year with the surprising coalition of conservatives and liberals......it appears the Supremes are reclaiming the fourth amendment, and once this silly drug war is over......T is right.....we will stop wild goose chases searching vehicles, and start basing citations and arrests on actual reckless behavior.

8Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 11:00 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Boards said:

preventing drugged driving

Where is the test for that? I know many cops in the area and there is none for DRUGGED driving.
Many states make use of a blood test to detect the presence of THC in the bloodstream to get a DUI conviction,  even if there is no evidence that the presence of THC caused any impairment to driving.

Read this...

http://www.mpp.org/media/op-eds/blood-test-for-marijuana-1.html

9Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 11:06 pm

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:Finally, a solid step back from the disastrous war on drugs.

cheers 
Just what we need, more kids stoned, dropping out of school, beating and killing other kids.

Yep, sounds like a great plan!

10Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/29/2013, 11:09 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

[quote="Markle"]
Sal wrote:Finally, a solid step back from the disastrous war on drugs.

cheers 
Just what we need, more kids stoned, dropping out of school, beating and killing other kids.

Yep, sounds like a great plan!
[/quote

All the stoners I ever met were too lazy to beat up on anyone.

11Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 2:02 am

Feds loosen up on weed Th?id=H.4578517884732984&pid=1

Boards is on weed?????

That explains why he keeps taking a...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgRtPtfSegI

Laughing 

12Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 9:19 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

othershoe1030 wrote:Is there a chance that those in prison for non-violent drug offenses might hope to have their sentences reviewed and lessened? That would be justified but I know, unlikely.
I believe that's already happened in states where marijuana has been legalized for medical use.

13Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 9:54 am

knothead

knothead

First, it's about damn time,
Second, I hope this will encourage other states to take common sense legislative steps to de-criminalize mary jo . . . . . should have happened years ago!

14Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 2:56 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

You can grow it and smoke it in North Korea.

http://www.vice.com/read/north-korea-is-stoned-all-the-time-which-explains-a-lot

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

15Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 4:25 pm

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:Is there a chance that those in prison for non-violent drug offenses might hope to have their sentences reviewed and lessened? That would be justified but I know, unlikely.
What is a non-violent drug offense which would result in prison time?

16Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 4:29 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:You can grow it and smoke it in North Korea.

Progressives find another great nation for us to emulate.

17Feds loosen up on weed Empty Re: Feds loosen up on weed 8/30/2013, 5:05 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
What is a non-violent drug offense which would result in prison time?

Possession of a large quantity?  Selling? Growing?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum