Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yes Virginia, Santa Claus is real and Paula Dean Isn't a Racist

+7
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
Ghost Rider
Nekochan
Floridatexan
PBulldog2
Wordslinger
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/07/25/paula-deens-longtime-chef-says-she-was-told-dress-aunt-jemima-150592?utm_source=taboola

"On the Public Television show, I want you to dress like Aunt Jemima." And, "When we are ready to serve dinner, go out on the street and hold up and ring a dinner bell."

Let's see, does referring to African-Americans as Niggers, and telling your black employees to dress like slaves for various occasions indicate white racism?

Really? LOL

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

The woman who sued Paula Dean is white, and a manager. She sued both Paula Dean and her brother, Bubba Hiers, on behalf of the black employees she managed. She did not sue related to racism on her own behalf.

She also sued for sexual harassment. According to her, she was sexually harassed by Bubba Hiers.

I read the documents related to this suit. I'm sure they are still available online.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I didn't know she paid her employees "slave wages", but I'm not surprised.

Nekochan

Nekochan

What are "slave wages" in 2013? Less than $15 an hour?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:What are "slave wages" in 2013?  Less than $15 an hour?
Did you read the post? $6/hr. for years with no raises.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Did you read the post?  $6/hr. for years with no raises.
I read that this is what someone claimed.  Is there some proof shown that Deen ever paid less than min wage?  Do you believe every claim that someone makes?

Here is a news article which states that the white woman suing Deen admitted in a deposition that she never heard Deen use a racist term and that she is unaware of Deen discriminating against anyone based on gender.

http://savannahnow.com/news/2013-06-22/paula-deen-and-n-word#.UhdkVxusjlU

In Jackson’s deposition taken Feb. 11, she recounts how Dora Childs, an employee at The Lady & Sons, told her “probably sometime in 2010” that she felt discriminated against when a white male kitchen manager was promoted over her, adding, “and that Paula made racist comments.”

Deans’ attorney, Franklin, asked Jackson: “You have never heard Paula make a racist remark, have you?”

“Not heard it,” Jackson replied.

“You have never known Paula to discriminate against a person based on gender, have you?”

“I’m not aware.”

“And you have never known Paula to sexually harass anyone, have you?”

“Not me.”

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
I read that this is what someone claimed.  Is there some proof shown that Deen ever paid less than min wage?  Do you believe every claim that someone makes?

Here is a news article which states that the white woman suing Deen admitted in a deposition that she never heard Deen use a racist term and that she is unaware of Deen discriminating against anyone based on gender.

In Jackson’s deposition taken Feb. 11, she recounts how Dora Childs, an employee at The Lady & Sons, told her “probably sometime in 2010” that she felt discriminated against when a white male kitchen manager was promoted over her, adding, “and that Paula made racist comments.”

Deans’ attorney, Franklin, asked Jackson: “You have never heard Paula make a racist remark, have you?”

“You have never known Paula to discriminate against a person based on gender, have you?”

“I’m not aware.”

“Not me.”

It was her brother who was accused of sexual harassment, not her. And racism wasn't the basis of the lawsuit. But statements Paul Deen made under oath revealed more than she intended.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

“I’m not aware.”

“Not me.”

It was her brother who was accused of sexual harassment, not her.  And racism wasn't the basis of the lawsuit.  But statements Paul Deen made under oath revealed more than she intended.  
Again, is there any proof provided that Deen ever paid less than min wage?

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Floridatexan wrote:
It was her brother who was accused of sexual harassment, not her.  And racism wasn't the basis of the lawsuit.  But statements Paul Deen made under oath revealed more than she intended.  

FT if the basis for Jackson's lawsuit against Deen was not racism, then why did Judge Moore dismiss the racial claims against Deen and Heirs that were brought about by Jackson.

Judge Moore wrote in his findings that;

U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore Jr. ruled in a 20-page opinion that Jackson had no basis to sue Deen and her brother for racial discrimination because she is in fact white herself. The sexual harassment claims are still open.

It appears to me that the basis for the lawsuit was racial as well as sexual.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

http://stitchesndishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/willie-smith-facebook-post.png

Interesting take on FT claim regarding low pay for Deen employees.

Nekochan

Nekochan

When you have someone who is being stomped on, you always have some who come out to participate in the stomping. There is a lot of jealousy held by some for a woman who has achieved what Deen has accomplished in her life. Fortunately, there are also some who will come out and tell the truth about their experiences working for the person.

I find it hard to believe that Deen ever paid her employees (non wait/tip employees) less than min wage. If Deen broke the min wage laws, I would like to see some evidence. Maybe the woman who made the claim that she was paid $6 an hour is talking about her pay from years ago or maybe she's not being completely truthful. The questions would be --what does the law require and what is typical pay for other restaurants in the area? There are plenty of restaurants in Savannah and good kitchen and wait staff should not have a problem finding a job in that city rather than continuing to work under "slave wages".

12Yes Virginia, Santa Claus is real and Paula Dean Isn't a Racist Empty The issue isn't wages ... 8/23/2013, 4:58 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Why is Nekochan and others here ignoring the fact that Dean ordered her black cook employee to dress like Aunt Jemima and ring a dinner bell on the street outside her restaurant?

The issue is blatant racism by Ms. Dean, not a lawsuit with a white employee or a wage dispute.

And why does Nekochan so stridently defend Ms. Dean?

2seaoat

OOOOOH OOOOOOOH Mr. Kotter.......could it be that those who consistently and by that I mean 100% consistently argue that racism is overstated and not really relevant in 2013, and but for the race baiters and folks going after innocent Ms. Dean, there would be no problems with race in America.......but I would just be guessing.......every thread on this and the PNJ might tell another story.......then again it may not.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Wordslinger wrote:Why is Nekochan and others here ignoring the fact that Dean ordered her black cook employee to dress like Aunt Jemima and ring a dinner bell on the street outside her restaurant?

The issue is blatant racism by Ms. Dean, not a lawsuit with a white employee or a wage dispute.

Why are you judging Deen when there is absolutely no proof. It is just one woman, Dora Charles', word against Deen's. If these allegations are true, then why haven't more employees or ex-employees come forward to off some tidbit of confirmation. I have been under the impression all my life that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. You however are acting as judge, jury and executioner of Deen without all the facts being known.

So the question to you is, why are you accusing her so ardently?

Sal

Sal

Ghost Rider wrote:
Why are you judging Deen when there is absolutely no proof. It is just one woman, Dora Charles', word against Deen's. If these allegations are true, then why haven't more employees or ex-employees come forward to off some tidbit of confirmation. I have been under the impression all my life that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. You however are acting as judge, jury and executioner of Deen without all the facts being known.

So the question to you is, why are you accusing her so ardently?

She admitted saying some rather unsavory things in her deposition, Ghost.

And, publicly apologized for saying them.

2seaoat

She admitted saying some rather unsavory things in her deposition, Ghost.

And, publicly apologized for saying them.

In addition, I heard some radio tape recordings of her talking to a black person in the audience, and after listening to that tape, it left no question that she was a flaming racist.......which like Ghost says.....who cares.....I am not the judge and jury.....I never watched her show.....never bought her products, but I certainly understand why some folks would not want her to be a spokesperson for their network.

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/06/22/us/100000002296089/paula-deen-on-race-in-2012-timestalk.html

Skip forward to 1:30.

2seaoat

That is the piece I heard on the radio........incredible if any person is uncertain why this person might not be a first choice as a spokesperson for anything. This was the conversation I remember at the kitchen table in North Birmingham when the boycott of merchants was going on.......it was outside agitators upsetting the colored who loved their situation but for the agitators.......the same basic argument I see on these forums ad nauseam......as the modern aunt or uncle on this forum will focus on black crime.....as the guiding light that the only racism left is black racism......Paula could be my Aunt Elizabeth......if I put a bag over my head I would swear my aunt was talking.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

All of this is now a moot point since the case has been resolved. According to ABC News the resolution contains no monetary amount from either side. It also says that Ms Jackson and Ms Deen have nothing but admirable respect for each other.

Ms Jackson states: The Paula Deen I have known for more than 8 years, is a woman of compassion and kindness and will never tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind toward anyone. I now know that the workplace environment issues that I raised are being reviewed and will in the future no longer be at issue.

Those of you that think that her comment at 1:30 is racist are completely delusional. If it was racist, would the audiencce have laughed at it? If it were racist, would he have bent down and gave her a kiss? Not very likely. There has to be some laughter in life, we cannot be stuffed shirts all the damn time.

Last edited by Ghost Rider on 8/23/2013, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Ghost Rider wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
FT if the basis for Jackson's lawsuit against Deen was not racism, then why did Judge Moore dismiss the racial claims against Deen and Heirs that were brought about by Jackson.

U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore Jr. ruled in a 20-page opinion that Jackson had no basis to sue Deen and her brother for racial discrimination because she is in fact white herself. The sexual harassment claims are still open.

You're right...I didn't recall from the complaint that there was a racial element, although I read it at the time. But I just came across Paula Deen's deposition.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/06/entertainment/deen-deposition/

I think you should read it and draw your own conclusions.

flower 

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Floridatexan wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

You're right...I didn't recall from the complaint that there was a racial element, although I read it at the time.  But I just came across Paula Deen's deposition.  

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/06/entertainment/deen-deposition/

I think you should read it and draw your own conclusions.

flower 
But as I said previously, it is now a moot point since it was resolved today.

Sal

Sal

The damage has been done to the public perception of her character and her brand. 

The legal resolution will do little to fix that. 

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Sal wrote:The damage has been done to the public perception of her character and her brand. 

But with the amount of money she has at her disposal that she is really sweating the small stuff. Her restaurant is still crowded from opening to closing. I have a friend that was in Savannah for 3 days on business and he could not even get a reservation to Lady & Sons for the 3 days he was there. She really has not lost anything except for some sponsorships. Her cookware is still selling like hot cakes. She will survive and I believe a better person from it.

Sal

Sal

Ghost Rider wrote:
Sal wrote:The damage has been done to the public perception of her character and her brand. 

But with the amount of money she has at her disposal that she is really sweating the small stuff. Her restaurant is still crowded from opening to closing. I have a friend that was in Savannah for 3 days on business and he could not even get a reservation to Lady & Sons for the 3 days he was there. She really has not lost anything except for some sponsorships. Her cookware is still selling like hot cakes. She will survive and I believe a better person from it.
Well, I said damaged, not destroyed. 

I'm sure she'll be fine. 

She'll lose a lot of customers, but she'll pick up some too.

Joanie and Neko have said they'll patronize her because she's a bigot. 

lol

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

Well, I said damaged, not destroyed. 

I'm sure she'll be fine. 

She'll lose a lot of customers, but she'll pick up some too.

Joanie and Neko have said they'll patronize her because she's a bigot. 

lol

Bigot.....LOL.  I think a better word would be remarkable!

You have to hand it to Paula.....A divorced mother of 2, financially broke suffering from depression, severe panic attacks, and agoraphobia forced herself to get out and support her children. ( no welfare freeloader here) She started small and worked her ass off to get where she is today......the head of a $17 million dollar empire. You think some people are jealous....you are damn right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum