Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Messiah Will Now Be Called Martin

+4
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
nadalfan
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

(WBIR-Newport) A Newport mother is appealing a court's decision after a judge ordered her son's name be changed from "Messiah."

Jaleesa Martin and the father of Messiah could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday.

That is when the first name came into question.

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew serves the 4th Judicial District of Tenn. including the following counties: Cocke, Grainger, Jefferson, and Sevier.

The name change was part of Judge Ballew's case; however, the parents did not think the first name would be changed.

Judge Ballew ordered the 7-month-old's name be "Martin DeShawn McCullough." It includes both parent's last names but leaves out Messiah.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," Judge Ballew said.

Martin responded saying, "I was shocked. I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs."

According to Judge Ballew, it is the first time she has ordered a first name change. She said the decision is best for the child, especially while growing up in a county with a large Christian population.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/283997/2/Judge-orders-babys-name-be-changed-from-Messiah

The problem with naming him "Messiah" is that when you call him for dinner, he never comes.

nadalfan

God help this self righteous idiot!
What the hell is she doing on the bench?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

666 Martin would have been better.

2seaoat

God help this self righteous idiot!

First, he is a she. Second, all across America everyday in divorce courts judges are intruding in folks life, and somebody is unhappy. Third, it will be overturned on appeal. Fourth, why do parents screw up their kids with narcissist names which have much more to do with ME than being a good parent. Fifth, I would have summarily sentenced the person who named that child to wear a placard for a week........I thought it was cool to name my child the Messiah.........

nadalfan

2seaoat wrote:God help this self righteous idiot!

First, he is a she.  Second, all across America everyday in divorce courts judges are intruding in folks life, and somebody is unhappy.  Third, it will be overturned on appeal.   Fourth, why do parents screw up their kids with narcissist names which have much more to do with ME than being a good parent.   Fifth, I would have summarily sentenced the person who named that child to wear a placard for a week........I thought it was cool to name my child the Messiah.........
I did write "she"
I certainly hope this is turned on appeal.
Surely this judge knows that she cannot impose her religious beliefs in a court of law.
Parents have a right to name their kids whatever they want to; who is anyone to judge what is an acceptable name.

I'm assuming you are just playing devil's advocate.

They could have just called him Johnson..

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I have seen some outlandish names imposed on little ones.....they make Messiah appear to be a normal name. Makes you wonder what some of the parents are smoking....too bad no one step in regarding other bad choices.

2seaoat

I'm assuming you are just playing devil's advocate.
That is my role.....sometimes I just do not do a very good job.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I'm assuming you are just playing devil's advocate.
 How about the name Nightcry or Burntember?

They are all stupid. nothing new here.

One of the names that is very prominent in my own family history is Emmanuel. Several of my ancestors carried that name, and I considered it for my son when he was born. I guess that one would offend the judge too, since it means "God with us."
There are Mannys all over the world. I certainly wouldn't see any problem with a child named Messiah, except for whatever his nickname might be.
"Messy" just isn't fair to saddle a child with unless he really is that way.

[b]I guess the Judge dosent know any Mexicans.   Changing the names all the "Jesus" folks is going to be a hell of a job LOL

Jesus (name)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Jesus (disambiguation).
Jesus
Pronunciation /ˈdʒiːzəs/
Gender Male
Look up Jesus in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
The proper name Jesus /ˈdʒiːzəs/ used in the English language originates from the Latin form of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous), a rendition of the Hebrew Yeshua (ישוע), also having the variants Joshua or Jeshua.[1][2] In a religious context the name refers to Jesus, the central figure of Christianity.

Jesús is a popular personal name in the Hispanic Christian sphere of influence

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 8/12/2013, 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

knothead

knothead

I believe the judge was out of order myself . . . . . is Messiah a good name? None of my business whatsoever . . . . . they could have named him something far more offensive or out of bounds but who am I to judge! It is simply a non issue for me . . . .

Nekochan

Nekochan

The judge was out of line.

But what if it were the name "Satan" or something like that?  That might be a kind of child abuse?

knothead

knothead

Nekochan wrote:The judge was out of line.

But what if it were the name "Satan" or something like that?  That might be a kind of child abuse?

You are being judgmental neko . . . . . . it's not your business and it's not mine . . . . what difference does it make, please! It's like the gay marriage thing . . . . do I like it? Not really but when I ask myself the question 'What business of this belongs to me or what does it matter' I am left with the same answer . . . . it's none of my business, period! The same analogy applies here.

I think some of the names the celebrities name the kids are horrible like Apple and Homer and Blue Ivy.

nadalfan

2seaoat wrote:I'm assuming you are just playing devil's advocate.
haha, no, you do a good job...always enjoy reading your "take" on things

Nekochan

Nekochan

knothead wrote:

You are being judgmental neko . . . . . . it's not your business and it's not mine . . . . what difference does it make, please! It's like the gay marriage thing . . . . do I like it? Not really but when I ask myself the question 'What business of this belongs to me or what does it matter' I am left with the same answer . . . . it's none of my business, period! The same analogy applies here.

Really?  You're not ever judgmental?  You never look at people's actions or words and make a judgement?

I asked it as a question because I'm  undecided about if the court should ever step in.  But IF it is child abuse (I said IF), then it is society's business.

Anyway,  I certainly am free to speak my opinion and I think it would be very wrong to name a baby "Satan" and you can call that judgmental or whatever. As far as if the court should step in and change a name like "Satan", that is a different thing than just me not liking the name or me being judgmental.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:I think some of the names the celebrities name the kids are horrible like Apple and Homer and Blue Ivy.
Some names are truly horrible. When naming their babies, people should remember that a name is very important. People do form opinions based on a person's name. Oftentimes, a name is seen before a person is even met...for example for a job interview. But I guess if your parent is a celebrity or famous then maybe a horrible name doesn't have as much of an adverse effect.

I think there's probably a different pronunciation of Satan , softening the "A's" that would not be so easily noticed. I don't have much of a problem with what parents name their offspring. That's their right and I can't imagine why the government or the courts should step in.

The post that says that Joshua is a form of Jeshua and therefore also Jesus is interesting. There are a lot of Joshuas here in the USA. There may not be as many Joshuas as there are children named Jesus or Emmanuel in Hispanic cultures but it's all the same difference.

Deville is also a prominent Hispanic last name and that's close to being called Devil.

I think it's important to remember that "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Names don't really mean much.

BTW,in the British culture, John Thomas would be a terrible name for a child. It refers to a man's penis.
It's all in where you're from and how you see things.
And it honestly never matters.

Messiah Will Now Be Called Martin Th?id=H.4586704090760893&pid=1

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4SurKqVAAI

Smile 

Nekochan

Nekochan

A baby doesn't know anything about long a's or short a's or pronunciation when his parents call him by his name, Satan, and it's pronounced to mean the devil's name. When that child goes to school and the teacher asks him "what's your name?" or "how do you say your name?" the child is going to say Satan in the same way that his parents have been calling him since birth.

Of course when the child grows up, he can choose to change his name, but he's already been called "Satan" a million times up until then.

The judge did mention American custom (being religion in this case) when she made her ruling. I am still undecided about this as far as any court making a decision. I don't like the government telling parents what they can feed their kids and I don't like the government telling parents what they can name their kids. But I do think that Satan would be a cruel name for a child in the USA.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:A baby doesn't know anything about long a's or short a's or pronunciation when  his parents call him by his name,

Messiahs never come when they're called.

Unless it's fish and bread for dinner, and then they want to bring the whole neighborhood.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:
knothead wrote:

Really?  You're not ever judgmental?  You never look at people's actions or words and make a judgement?    

I asked it as a question because I'm  undecided about if the court should ever step in.  But IF it is child abuse (I said IF), then it is society's business.

Anyway,  I certainly am free to speak my opinion and I think it would be very wrong to name a baby "Satan" and you can call that judgmental or whatever. As far as if the court should step in and change a name like "Satan", that is a different thing than just me not liking the name or me being judgmental.

How on earth do you reconcile the belief that it is perfectly OK to feed a child garbage - on par with dog or cat food - that has been shown to lead to all sorts of long term health consequences with this new found idea that naming a kid "Satan" - something that has zero long term consequences and can be easily changed by the child at the age of 18 - is bordering on some form of child abuse that may need government intervention? Really interested in hearing your explanation for that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum