Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

EBT card fraud

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1EBT card fraud Empty EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:31 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/it_on_y22owkLpsldSAjDVC9isjM?fb_action_ids=197072363788977&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%22197072363788977%22%3A685872858105286}&action_type_map={%22197072363788977%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

2EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:37 pm

Sal

Sal

The poor will always be among us, as will the swindlers and cheats.

So what is your solution?

Do we allow more innocent poor children to go hungry because of the actions of criminal adults, or do we hire thousands more investigators and regulators to arrest the fraud?

3EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:41 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Maybe bring back free peanut butter, cheese, etc like they used to do? What's awful is that deterring criminals always make things harder for law abiding citizens.

4EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:45 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Rupert Murdoch's sensationalist rag. Figures you'd like it...the National Enquirer has more credibiity.

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?p=8358

EBT card fraud Delonas-cartoon

EBT card fraud Delonas-stimulus

Typical NYP fare for the 2012 election...you must be so proud...even Goebbels would be envious.

5EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:47 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I like the conspiracy theory news sites much better. They're much more credible.

6EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:54 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sal wrote:The poor will always be among us, as will the swindlers and cheats.

So what is your solution?

Do we allow more innocent poor children to go hungry because of the actions of criminal adults, or do we hire thousands more investigators and regulators to arrest the fraud?

I doubt the veracity of that article, Sal. There are ways to abuse that system...I've witnessed a couple of them...but I doubt this is a widespread problem. Consider the source.

7EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 12:59 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Right. If you see it on a 911 conspiracy site or on Daily Kos, then you'll know it's true.

8EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 1:09 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:I like the conspiracy theory news sites much better.  They're much more credible.

No comment on the above content, Neko, or has the cat got your tongue?

9EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 1:12 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:I like the conspiracy theory news sites much better.  They're much more credible.

EBT fraud--what more is there to say? It doesn't cost that much to ship containers by ship. I'm not that surprised. Let me know when you can verify the story on one of your approved websites.

10EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 1:31 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

http://money.msn.com/now/post--how-food-stamps-can-end-up-feeding-people-abroad

11EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 3:48 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

EBT fraud--what more is there to say?   It doesn't cost that much to ship containers by ship.  I'm not that surprised.  Let me know when you can verify the story on one of your approved websites.

Nothing on the content of those cartoons? You don't find them reprehensible? You trust this rag? Think it's funny? We just can't let these good for nothing freeloaders save up their mac & cheese to send home, but we have to honor the oligarchs, no matter whether they're torturing, thieving, mass murdering, neocon psychopaths, right? You're such a mark...

12EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:00 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

EBT fraud--what more is there to say?   It doesn't cost that much to ship containers by ship.  I'm not that surprised.  Let me know when you can verify the story on one of your approved websites.

Nothing on the content of those cartoons?  You don't find them reprehensible?  You trust this rag?  Think it's funny?  We just can't let these good for nothing freeloaders save up their mac & cheese to send home, but we have to honor the oligarchs, no matter whether they're torturing, thieving, mass murdering, neocon psychopaths, right?  You're such a mark...

And you have a selective sense of reprehensibleness.

13EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:04 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The EBT cards are given to people so they can feed themselves and their children not ship food elsewhere. The US sends over $522 million in food aid to the Caribbean...

14EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:07 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:The EBT cards are given to people so they can feed themselves and their children not ship food elsewhere. The US sends over $522 million in food aid to the Caribbean...

Don't confuse Miss Reprehensible with facts!

15EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:21 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://money.msn.com/now/post--how-food-stamps-can-end-up-feeding-people-abroad

Mr. and Mrs. Alderson Muncy of West Virginia made history in 1961 when they became the country's first food stamp recipients by using $95 in benefits to buy groceries for their 15-person family.

More than 50 years later, the food stamp program has changed in ways that the Muncy family probably wouldn't recognize. For one, the program now provides debit cards. Second, it has swelled into a $75 billion federal program. It's so big now that critics say it's simply too huge and is prone to abuse.

Now comes a newspaper story that won't do much to convince critics the program helps only people in need. Some families in New York City are reportedly using their benefits to buy food that they then ship to relatives in less affluent countries, such as the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Haiti, the New York Post reports.

Transplants from the Caribbean and other island countries often send home barrels packed with food, a practice so common that sites are devoted to helping ship barrels, which may end up stocked with grocery favorites such as Kraft (KRFT +1.09%) BBQ sauce and Heinz ketchup.

But using food stamps to purchase food that's shipped abroad isn't kosher, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture told the Post. Only households like the Muncy home -- where people buy and prepare food together -- are supposed to use the benefit. States that catch recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) shipping food abroad should intervene, the spokeswoman said.

"The purpose of this program is to help Americans who don't have enough to eat. This is not intended as a form of foreign aid," Michael Tanner, a senior fellow at the libertarian Cato Institute, told the publication.

The revelation will only add to the debate over the SNAP program, as it's part of the almost $1 trillion farm bill that's embroiled in a political fight. While the bill provides government subsidies to farmers, it also includes funding for the food stamp program. Earlier this month, House Republicans passed a version of the bill without SNAP funding. It marks the first time in 40 years that food stamps haven't been in the farm bill, The New York Times points out.

While food stamps could still end up in the final bill, the debate will likely continue for years.

16EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:29 pm

Sal

Sal

A lot of bitching, but not much in the way of solutions in this thread ...

... well, except for Neko's helpful suggestion of peanut butter and cheese.

lmao

17EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:30 pm

Hunger used to motivate people to work.

18EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:31 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Hunger used to motivate people to work.

Yep, we need more hungry toddlers on the assembly lines ...

... this is how we return America to greatness.

lmao

19EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:32 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:A lot of bitching, but not much in the way of solutions in this thread ...

lmao

What's so funny about it? That program helped feed a lot of people back years ago.

20EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:37 pm

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:
Sal wrote:A lot of bitching, but not much in the way of solutions in this thread ...

lmao

What's so funny about it?  That program helped feed a lot of people back years ago.  

Who's gonna pay for all the laxatives it's going to take to make a peanut butter and cheese diet work?

21EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:39 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

lmao

What's so funny about it?  That program helped feed a lot of people back years ago.  

Who's gonna pay for all the laxatives it's going to take to make a peanut butter and cheese diet work?

There was more than just peanut butter and cheese. And the program could be expanded today to feed people.

22EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:41 pm

Sal

Sal

"Let the peasants eat peanut butter and cheese sammiches", sayeth Neko Anoinette.

lmao

23EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:42 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Here y'all go, from a source you cannot whine about..

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x3094473

(This was brought to my mind by the thread on the proposed cuts in the food stamp programs.)

For those who don't remember this, it was a program wherein those who qualified could go to a food distribution center and receive food products such as milk, cheese, potatoes, apples, flour, etc., that had been identified as agricultural surplus - i.e., the farmers produced more than they could sell for a reasonable profit. The government paid a fair price to the farmers, took the surplus off their hands, and distributed the food to the needy.

The program was a win-win for the farmers, the government, and especially the needy, who got fresh, wholesome foods free of charge or at a very nominal charge (ours were usually free). However, the large supermarket chains and the big food companies like General Mills, Kraft, et al., took a look at that and said, "hey, we want a cut!"

Over the course of several decades, the government surplus food programs got gradually switched over to food stamps. The propaganda that was used was that it was "undignified" and "humiliating" for poor folks to have to stand in lines for the surplus food, and food stamps would "restore their dignity."

The net result was that poor folks ended up getting less food for their benefit, because it's easier to buy prepackaged, prepared foods than to buy fresh foods - and it's generally cheaper, too. So the diets of those on public benefits declined in quality. Farmers no longer had an outlet for their surplus produce, which now rotted in the fields or had to be sold for a loss. The government had to spend a great deal of money administering the food stamp program. But the big food companies and supermarket chains were happy - their profits were up, as they sold soda, chips, and candy bars to the needy.

Oh, and the dignity of the poor? What, precisely, is less humiliating about using food stamps? Everyone can see that you're using them, and everyone then feels entitled to critique your food choices.

Last edited by Nekochan on 7/22/2013, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

24EBT card fraud Empty Re: EBT card fraud 7/22/2013, 4:42 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I know a guy that gets a small VA disability check and he gets food stamps......he only gets $16.00 a month for food.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum