Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Feds take over New Orleans' Police Department

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A court-backed plan to excise corruption, discrimination and a frequent use of deadly force from the long-troubled New Orleans Police Department will last at least four years and likely cost the financially strapped city $11 million annually.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu called for Justice Department help in reforming the department when he took office in May 2010.

VIDEO (2 min): http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7416040n&tag=mncol;lst;4

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78954.html

Yomama wrote:NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A court-backed plan to excise corruption, discrimination and a frequent use of deadly force from the long-troubled New Orleans Police Department will last at least four years and likely cost the financially strapped city $11 million annually.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu called for Justice Department help in reforming the department when he took office in May 2010.

VIDEO (2 min): http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7416040n&tag=mncol;lst;4

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78954.html

LEMME GET THIS STRAIGHT.....ERIC HOLDER WILL CLEAN UP CORRUPTION!.....

Newsfan wrote: LEMME GET THIS STRAIGHT.....ERIC HOLDER WILL CLEAN UP CORRUPTION!.....

Eric Holder is a bureaucrat. He won't be doing shit but claiming credit if it goes well.

Yomama wrote:
Newsfan wrote: LEMME GET THIS STRAIGHT.....ERIC HOLDER WILL CLEAN UP CORRUPTION!.....

Eric Holder is a bureaucrat. He won't be doing shit but claiming credit if it goes well.

Perhaps the AG will set up another Fast and Furious type operation to help New Orleans offset that government tab!...Hasn't this city been through enough?....

Amazing! The ONLY AG to be found in criminal and civil contempt of Congress is taking the lead on "cleaning up a mess" in a police department. Holder, the AG that is so incompetent he claims he didn't know about a massive gun running operation and then lied about it in testimony. The AG who obstructed justice in a congressional investigation. I suppose he is just following his boss Oblamers lead with all the lying and deception but it is still hard to believe any city would want Holders dirty hands pawing over programs.

nochain wrote:Amazing! The ONLY AG to be found in criminal and civil contempt of Congress is taking the lead on "cleaning up a mess" in a police department. Holder, the AG that is so incompetent he claims he didn't know about a massive gun running operation and then lied about it in testimony. The AG who obstructed justice in a congressional investigation. I suppose he is just following his boss Oblamers lead with all the lying and deception but it is still hard to believe any city would want Holders dirty hands pawing over programs.
Wonder if he called Count Chocula for advice or at least to borrow the sacred knight medal!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

New Orleans police were shooting at people indiscriminately after Katrina. If you've ever spent any time in NO, you know the police, not just in the city proper, but surrounding parishes, have a reputation for being dangerous to the general public.

Yomama wrote:

The other given is if it falls apart into disaster he will have a sudden case of memory loss. That is the only function he is capable of managing.

I can hear the obstructionist now: "I never be approve anytin wit Nawleans, don be talkin that trash to me peeples. I is goin up da hill ta see my daddy rabbit Oblamer an he be straitin dis out."

Slicef18

Slicef18

Newsfan wrote:
nochain wrote:Amazing! The ONLY AG to be found in criminal and civil contempt of Congress is taking the lead on "cleaning up a mess" in a police department. Holder, the AG that is so incompetent he claims he didn't know about a massive gun running operation and then lied about it in testimony. The AG who obstructed justice in a congressional investigation. I suppose he is just following his boss Oblamers lead with all the lying and deception but it is still hard to believe any city would want Holders dirty hands pawing over programs.
Wonder if he called Count Chocula for advice or at least to borrow the sacred knight medal!

What he should have done is call Gunny Hartman. Now there's a man that knows what he's doing and why he's doing it.

I guess it is okay for New Orleans PD to not investigate Rape, Domestic Violence, inadequately investigate in-custody deaths or not investigate at all, routinely use excessive force, and use Race and Sex discrimination.

During one 17-month period, the NO PD fired their weapons at 27 people... all or them were black.

What should have been done? Nothing?

Additional training, Cameras in cars, etc. should be good things. If not, why?

Yomama wrote:I guess it is okay for New Orleans PD to not investigate Rape, Domestic Violence, inadequately investigate in-custody deaths or not investigate at all, routinely use excessive force, and use Race and Sex discrimination.

During one 17-month period, the NO PD fired their weapons at 27 people... all or them were black.

The concept is sound - use of the current DOJ is not. When an agency is as dysfunctional as Holders DOJ has proven to be how can there be any improvement elsewhere? I worked as a consultant in N.O. for 4 months so I am familiar with the issues. The place is not so much a city as a war zone. The antics of the locals before and after Katrina explains a lot.

But, this is the only Department of Justice we have. If not them, who should take the lead?

I know we're not happy with Holder and "Fast and Furious", but isn't there SOMETHING they can do right?

Yomama wrote:But, this is the only Department of Justice we have. If not them, who should take the lead?

Is the mayor not capable of doing it. If it is that out of control where they need the DOJ to step in to fix the NOPD maybe we should institute marshal law and send in the national guard.

alecto wrote:
Yomama wrote:But, this is the only Department of Justice we have. If not them, who should take the lead?

Is the mayor not capable of doing it. If it is that out of control where they need the DOJ to step in to fix the NOPD maybe we should institute marshal law and send in the national guard.

Of course when the entire state is full of corruption any change is hard. They need to find a similar size city with a functional and successful police department and use it as a model. The DOJ will just waste all those millions on administrative bungling.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

UT oh we got trouble in Chocolate City.....better get the peanut butter.

I'm against this no matter what their problems are.

I dont like it when federal Gov suceeds state.

Im going to be a conspirist and say that this is the GOV's first step at installing the BIG BROTHER TAKE OVER.

Chrissy8 wrote:I'm against this no matter what their problems are.

You gotta understand that the mayor ASKED for Federal help. And the city agreed to a consent decree.

Frankly, I have no idea how much the NOPD is behind it (doubt it), but something has to give.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I'd like to know how many out of the 27 shot at had jobs and were they breaking the law when they were shot at. I'll bet 0 for jobs and 27 for breaking the law at the time they were shot at.

Yomama wrote:I guess it is okay for New Orleans PD to not investigate Rape, Domestic Violence, inadequately investigate in-custody deaths or not investigate at all, routinely use excessive force, and use Race and Sex discrimination.

Yomama wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:I'm against this no matter what their problems are.

You gotta understand that the mayor ASKED for Federal help. And the city agreed to a consent decree.

Frankly, I have no idea how much the NOPD is behind it (doubt it), but something has to give.

well, it sounds like an excuse to me. and a bad idea and really this should be agaisnt our constitution.

27 cops fired at citizens in NO. well really, nO is pretty bad.

seems to me this mayor is acting like one of those people who just want the GOV to solve everything for them. < and I dont even know his party, who cares>

why dont he investigate? do his job? use cameras like other places. etc.

people are so damn down on cops these days its going to be the shit when we dont have em. cause we got a lot of crazy crooks just waiting for that to happen.

if I was a cop, id prolly shoot some of those people in NO too.

NaNook

NaNook

Chicago had 6 people shot within 15 minutes Monday. I would take my chances in N.O. before Chicago.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

obama hasn't had his way with NO yet.

NaNook wrote:Chicago had 6 people shot within 15 minutes Monday. I would take my chances in N.O. before Chicago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum