Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

For all you technogeeks out there. I bet you didn't know the "Gorilla glass" on your smartphone or tablet was invented in the 1960's.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I didn't either until I ran across this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass#History

Smokey, you will remember that my first iPad screen broke all the way across.

The silver lining to that was that I had to replace it with one of the new ones... Yay!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:Smokey, you will remember that my first iPad screen broke all the way across.

The silver lining to that was that I had to replace it with one of the new ones... Yay!
Is it that the replacement is Gorilla Glass but the original was not?

Ive always thought it was fascinating that when you look at programs such as star trek, all those gadgets are now invented.

They had cell phones, ipads and all kinds of technology on that program.

Its been said that what we know about technology is at least 50 years behind what we really have.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I have a book written by Isaac Asimov, who most people know as a sci-fi writer, called The New Intelligent Man's Guide to Science. I believe he originally published it in 1959, but had so much material to add that it had to be republished in 1960. It is fascinating to look back and realize that many of the things we take for granted now were cutting edge 52 years ago. If only we advanced in the humanities the way we improve technology...

Floridatexan wrote:
I have a book written by Isaac Asimov, who most people know as a sci-fi writer, called The New Intelligent Man's Guide to Science. I believe he originally published it in 1959, but had so much material to add that it had to be republished in 1960. It is fascinating to look back and realize that many of the things we take for granted now were cutting edge 52 years ago. If only we advanced in the humanities the way we improve technology...

sounds like a interesting book.

I think the more technology based our society becomes, the less socially developed we will be. We are becoming detached from human emotions.

in some ways technology has hurt humans. I expect it will be the end of us. perhaps thats happened many times on this planet before? hmmm

ButtMan wrote:Is it that the replacement is Gorilla Glass but the original was not?

Corning trademarked their aluminosilicate glass product as "Gorilla Glass".

Stolen from another website:

"The basic answer is that only people at Apple and Corning know for sure if Gorilla Glass is part of the iPad line of products. While Corning lists several manufacturers as clients on its Gorilla Glass Web page, you won't find Apple among the names. Should a company wish to keep its components secret -- a practice for which Apple is famous -- Corning won't list its name on the Gorilla Glass site. Just because Apple is nowhere to be found on the site isn't enough evidence to draw conclusions.

Other companies also produce aluminosilicate glass."

The iPad 1 had glass that was 37% thicker, so the feeling is that subsequent generations had thinner but stronger Gorilla Glass.

You CANNOT use it for a bathroom scale. Razz

For all you technogeeks out there.  I bet you didn't know the "Gorilla glass" on your smartphone or tablet was invented in the 1960's. Scale-10

Yomama wrote:
ButtMan wrote:Is it that the replacement is Gorilla Glass but the original was not?

Corning trademarked their aluminosilicate glass product as "Gorilla Glass".

Stolen from another website:

"The basic answer is that only people at Apple and Corning know for sure if Gorilla Glass is part of the iPad line of products. While Corning lists several manufacturers as clients on its Gorilla Glass Web page, you won't find Apple among the names. Should a company wish to keep its components secret -- a practice for which Apple is famous -- Corning won't list its name on the Gorilla Glass site. Just because Apple is nowhere to be found on the site isn't enough evidence to draw conclusions.

Other companies also produce aluminosilicate glass."

The iPad 1 had glass that was 37% thicker, so the feeling is that subsequent generations had thinner but stronger Gorilla Glass.

You CANNOT use it for a bathroom scale. Razz

For all you technogeeks out there.  I bet you didn't know the "Gorilla glass" on your smartphone or tablet was invented in the 1960's. Scale-10

my toes look like that persons toes Neutral

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum