Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is a 501(c)(4), anyway?

+2
2seaoat
knothead
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 11:33 am

knothead

knothead

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/05/13/what-is-a-501c4-anyway/

The promotion of social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office. However, a section 501(c)(4) social welfare organization may engage in some political activities, so long as that is not its primary activity. However, any expenditure it makes for political activities may be subject to tax under section 527(f). For further information regarding political and lobbying activities of section 501(c) organizations, see Election Year Issues, Political Campaign and Lobbying Activities of IRC 501(c)(4), (c)(5), and (c)(6) Organizations, and Revenue Ruling 2004-6.

2What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 11:41 am

2seaoat

The Wall Street Journal would give you the best path to understanding what they are and what has been the issues associated with the same:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324031404578481451628392008.html

3What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 11:43 am

Sal

Sal

Thank you, Citizens United!

4What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 11:53 am

2seaoat

Thank you, Citizens United!

Bingo.....cause and effect.

5What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 11:57 am

knothead

knothead

I couldn't access the WSJ article Gordon Geiko has me firewalled. Instead of a Opinion piece I posted the IRS rules but it does leave a lot of unanswered questions. If these entities have an established track record of improprieties inconsistent with the IRS statue it could very well be the IRS was closing in these political action groups posing as non profit entity(s). I just heard a story on the news that the only political entity that has had their 501(c)(4) revoked and it was a Democratic entity operating outside the scope of what is permissible under the statue. Maybe it's not as political as it initially appears.

6What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 12:03 pm

bizguy

Sal wrote:Thank you, Citizens United!

501(C)4 organizations were able to spend unlimited amounts of undisclosed money to influence elections long before CU was decided by the SCOTUS.

7What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 12:08 pm

Margin Call

Margin Call

knothead wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/05/13/what-is-a-501c4-anyway/

The promotion of social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office. However, a section 501(c)(4) social welfare organization may engage in some political activities, so long as that is not its primary activity. However, any expenditure it makes for political activities may be subject to tax under section 527(f). For further information regarding political and lobbying activities of section 501(c) organizations, see Election Year Issues, Political Campaign and Lobbying Activities of IRC 501(c)(4), (c)(5), and (c)(6) Organizations, and Revenue Ruling 2004-6.

They can't openly endorse a candidate, but there are ways around that restriction. For instance, the "Fire Obama" signs you saw all over Pensacola were paid for by a c4.

8What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 12:16 pm

knothead

knothead

Margin Call wrote:
knothead wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/05/13/what-is-a-501c4-anyway/

They can't openly endorse a candidate, but there are ways around that restriction. For instance, the "Fire Obama" signs you saw all over Pensacola were paid for by a c4.

Thanks MC, I also 'heard' that there is a like 50% rule that these entities are not supposed to exceed when advocating whatever their cause.

2seaoat

501(C)4 organizations were able to spend unlimited amounts of undisclosed money to influence elections long before CU was decided by the SCOTUS.

Yes, that is true, but Congress under their constitutional powers to regulate elections put limitations on corporations on their contributions. The wall street article talks about the rapid increase in contributions and formations of these conduits for the now unrestricted funding. I think Sal nailed this. Also, the link to the article is blocked, but all a person has to do is google the 501 c 4 and I am sure with this being a recent article you can get direct access off of the google reference......sorry about the restricted link.

10What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 1:15 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:501(C)4 organizations were able to spend unlimited amounts of undisclosed money to influence elections long before CU was decided by the SCOTUS.

Yes, that is true, but Congress under their constitutional powers to regulate elections put limitations on corporations on their contributions. The wall street article talks about the rapid increase in contributions and formations of these conduits for the now unrestricted funding. I think Sal nailed this. Also, the link to the article is blocked, but all a person has to do is google the 501 c 4 and I am sure with this being a recent article you can get direct access off of the google reference......sorry about the restricted link.

I've noticed in previous searches when trying to access the Washington Post that sometimes you have to click twice to get in...so try it again. OK, I'll try it.

Edit: I didn't have a problem getting to the WaPo site.

Colbert is on the site with attorney Trevor Potter explaining the nature of a 501(c)4...according to Mr. Potter...the designation allows donors to contribute to political campaigns while remaining anonymous, as opposed to PAC's, which have strict disclosure requirements...and here's the kicker...they don't have to disclose their status to the IRS until AFTER THE ELECTION...OMG...I had no idea these "legal entities" didn't have to apply for and receive their designation beforehand. This is completely ridiculous.

Also, I read elsewhere that there were approximately 300 investigations, of which only 75 were associated with "tea party" entities...or approximately 25%. That doesn't even sound like these particular inquiries were targeted at a specific group.

So, this is the GOP's version of pile on...an attempt to divert and subvert the power of the President by creating a whole host of side issues which appear damning on their surface, but are in fact...trumped up...hence the preoccupation with the Libyan incident...

This also reminds me of the stupidity of masses of people after 9/11 who were willing to buy into whatever explanation was given for the tragedy...after 20 months of stonewalling and an attempt to have the committee headed by Henry Kissinger...and still the mass hysteria persisted...the hyperpartisanship...

It's like a horrible parody of governance...this all or nothing struggle for power while Rome burns.

What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 126529403_f78e8ae437

11What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 3:26 pm

bizguy

but Congress under their constitutional powers to regulate elections put limitations on corporations on their contributions

Before I comment I just want to make sure you are referring to Article 1, Section 4; the Times, Places and Manner clause.

12What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 4:49 pm

Free speech isn't exactly free these days. How many people do you know that can afford to produce a message and buy air time? An organization that represents your opinions is simply a tool for like minded individuals... like a union, aarp, naacp, nra, peta... etc.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be common sense boundaries... but the leftist spin is not an objective look at this issue.

This is really just a trick and distraction from real solutions that would target and hold the candidates and parties accountable.

13What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 6:42 pm

Sal

Sal

The Repukes in Congress gave the IRS the absurd task of determining what constitutes "political activity", and when the IRS inevitably botched the job, the Repukes set their hair on fire.

Go figure.

14What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 7:43 pm

I love liberal logic... I really do.... It reminds me of the comic books of my youth. I do wonder what you will consider your (an individuals) recourse when the edicts adversely affect you? Along the lines of the occupy movement? Perhaps a media explosion?

For every progressive idea your side supports... the right has one to match. At some point it is authoritarian.

You may have faith in that pattern... I do not.

Don't tread on me has a protection for you... liberty is a level playing field.

15What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 7:59 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

See the thread I just posted...Chris Hayes puts things in context.

Everyone talks campaign finance reform while we move in the exact opposite direction.

16What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 8:07 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:I love liberal logic... I really do.... It reminds me of the comic books of my youth. I do wonder what you will consider your (an individuals) recourse when the edicts adversely affect you? Along the lines of the occupy movement? Perhaps a media explosion?

For every progressive idea your side supports... the right has one to match. At some point it is authoritarian.

Glibertarianism at its best

Welcome to Earth.

17What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 8:15 pm

You are not willing to examine the facts... why don't you just say that and save us the time?

If you want to control things... the representatives are the way. I think you just advance the authoritarian directive.

18What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 8:17 pm

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I love liberal logic... I really do.... It reminds me of the comic books of my youth. I do wonder what you will consider your (an individuals) recourse when the edicts adversely affect you? Along the lines of the occupy movement? Perhaps a media explosion?

Welcome to Earth.

You have no perspective... bendover bitch.

19What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? Empty Re: What is a 501(c)(4), anyway? 5/14/2013, 8:48 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:

Welcome to Earth.

You have no perspective... bendover bitch.

You're reality's bitch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum