Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zimmerman defense team takes tactical risk

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/30/17987796-zimmerman-gambles-by-waiving-stand-your-ground-hearing-before-trial?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=2

I do not understand this choice. The Defense could make a pretrial motion which asks that the result of the stand your ground hearing to be kept in a sealed file until Jury selection because of the fear of prejudice. This is really strange because the court must remain open, and the media must have access, but the judge could have released his ruling after jury selection.

I simply do not know the facts, but this does not look like a confident defense right now.

I don't get it either... unless they are reserving some procedure or right.

He can still request the immunity hearing after prosecutors have presented their case. He may just be waiting to see how strong the case against him is before using the Stand Your Ground option. I think he'd rather be declared innocent by a jury than be declared immune from prosecution by a judge. That will look better for the book he's bound to write later on.

2seaoat

That still is taking a great deal of Risk. If you get a ruling, and immediately stop the risk to your client as a matter of law.....who cares how this thing goes away. Everybody is going to make money on books if he is acquitted by jury or by judge. Do you think the folks who hate this guy are going to hate him any less because a judge let him walk?

Also, the risk is that another witness could come forward in the interim, or a key defense witness could die.......if you can put a wooden stake in the heart of your opponent.....you do not dick around.

It's not a risk at all. They are trying to prevent Zimmerman from taking the stand. They can always invoke the stand your ground after the prosecution presents their case. Very smart.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Dreamsglore wrote:It's not a risk at all. They are trying to prevent Zimmerman from taking the stand. They can always invoke the stand your ground after the prosecution presents their case. Very smart.

Why wouldn't they want Zimmerman to testify? Please answer this for me, Dreams, because I would really like to hear your answer.

Floridatexan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:It's not a risk at all. They are trying to prevent Zimmerman from taking the stand. They can always invoke the stand your ground after the prosecution presents their case. Very smart.

Why wouldn't they want Zimmerman to testify? Please answer this for me, Dreams, because I would really like to hear your answer.

Some people or their representatives may not be able to stem the tide of state... imagine it in a few generations.

Floridatexan wrote:

He's probably not a good witness. Some people are not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum