Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I received OFFICIAL confirmation that the PNJ forum will die a cruel death on or about Aug 1. Sorry!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The email I received from PNJ Publisher Kevin Doyle today. Word for word:

John: Here is your answer. Sorry it took so long, but the decision was just announced to us.

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:21 PM
To: Doyle, Kevin
Subject: RE: Pay Wall

The forums are going away because Pluck is going away on or about Aug. 1. Pluck is our platform that empowers the forums, but when we flip the paywall switch, or shortly after, they’re gone.

Richard A. Schneider
Executive Editor / Director of
Content and Readership Development
Pensacola News Journal and pnj.com
101 E. Romana St., Pensacola FL 32502
850.435.8514 (office) 850.435.8633 (fax)
dschneider@pnj.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PNJ Moderator wrote:The email I received from PNJ Publisher Kevin Doyle today. Word for word:

John: Here is your answer. Sorry it took so long, but the decision was just announced to us.

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:21 PM
To: Doyle, Kevin
Subject: RE: Pay Wall

The forums are going away because Pluck is going away on or about Aug. 1. Pluck is our platform that empowers the forums, but when we flip the paywall switch, or shortly after, they’re gone.

Richard A. Schneider
Executive Editor / Director of
Content and Readership Development
Pensacola News Journal and pnj.com
101 E. Romana St., Pensacola FL 32502
850.435.8514 (office) 850.435.8633 (fax)
dschneider@pnj.com

What Schneider may or may not yet know is that once they "flip the paywall switch", yes the forum will immediatley disappear, but it's just a matter of time before the newspaper disappears with it. It may not be this year or next year or five years. But if I was a wall street gambler (and I am) I wouldn't be going long on Gannett stock. Not unless Gannett can quickly diversify into fast food chains or tire stores or something there will still be a demand for. The handwriting is on the wall for newspapers. Schneider's only hope is that his job can outlast the handwriting until he retires.

Last edited by ButtMan on 7/19/2012, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

It wont be much of a lost to the community, except maybe for Car City lol.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PNJ Moderator wrote:It wont be much of a lost to the community, except maybe for Car City lol.
I hate to be argumentative but I have to part company with you on this one.
Well maybe at least. If we're going to lose a source of information about what is happening with local government that's not a good thing, PNJ Moderator.
Right now all we have is the daily newspaper, the weekly tabloid which is purely opinion driven, the local tv station news department and some local radio news. But even if you think the daily newspaper is a "liberal rag" or advertiser biased or whatever else, it still provides the most comprehensive coverage of local government.
If we lose it I hope that void will be filled with something else. But right now I don't envision a web based entity doing that because nothing so far has the resources. northescambia.com is very limited. Hopefully if the newspaper disappears that will lead to something which can replace it. Time will tell.

We could have a great paper but the emphasis has been on paid advertisements. I understand the paper needs to generate $ but the emphasis has been to make as much as they can on ads. I like reading a newspaper but I want balance, not heavy ads on every page.

Killing the forum, is a dumbass stupid move. I think it will come back and bite em hard. Plenty of anonymous whistle blower info has been posted on that forum. Do u think an anonymous individual is going reveal his identity posting such info on a pnj FB comment section. No. All local politicians are damn happy the forum wont be around to expose their shenanigans anymore.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It appears that the forum is completely gone. Mike is looking lonely in the Conversations area with his survey on the Mayor's ad campaign for the City.

I just don't see the PNJ surviving this. What a terrible shame for the few good people they haven't fired. And it really will be a loss for the community when the inevitable happens. It's just a matter of time.

Floridatexan wrote:
It appears that the forum is completely gone. Mike is looking lonely in the Conversations area with his survey on the Mayor's ad campaign for the City.

I just don't see the PNJ surviving this. What a terrible shame for the few good people they haven't fired. And it really will be a loss for the community when the inevitable happens. It's just a matter of time.
With out going into details, I worked from a company that used to buy a Lot of PNJ ad space. Their attitude and other reasons cost them the account. After the dust settled from the fall out they came back wanting to talk but it was too late. They can blame corporate management but they enjoy much of the blame themselves.

"It appears that the forum is completely gone. Mike is looking lonely in the Conversations area with his survey on the Mayor's ad campaign for the City. "

Its still open presently. I was over collecting the skeletons in the closet earlier. Bob is right that newspapers are suffering but Gannett has repeatedly mucked their INC up. High management salaries, Hired to many employees once upon a time, laid off an massive amount of employees, Paying their CEO's hundreds of millions of dollars. Unreal.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?plckForumPage=ForumCategories&category=PluckForum

"It appears that the forum is completely gone. Mike is looking lonely in the Conversations area with his survey on the Mayor's ad campaign for the City."

Mike hasn't posted in quite awhile. I guess i'll contact him and see if he'd drop by for at least one more ass chewing from (BP) lol. Those two do not get along. Double lol.

I received OFFICIAL confirmation that the PNJ forum will die a cruel death on or about Aug 1. Sorry! Ce0cf010

NaNook

NaNook

I sent Dick an email back in 2008 asking why the paper would endorse Obama. I explained the endorsement of Obama would piss-off 60+% of his readers. Not to mention advertizers, who would move to another advertizing medium.

Newspapers should present the facts. Not tell people how to vote. He made his choice, now he can retire.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum