Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ten years ago this week the US invaded Iraq

+3
ZVUGKTUBM
KarlRove
othershoe1030
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Gallup poll shows most Americans think the Iraq War was a mistake.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/161399/10th-anniversary-iraq-war-mistake.aspx

Ten years ago this week the US invaded Iraq Jhd-j510

KarlRove

KarlRove

WHo is MOST? Stats? Links? I think it was FUN.

I hope the war criminals are charged for their crimes..

KarlRove

KarlRove

saddam paid the price...he brought that on himself.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

On the positive side, oil production in Iraq has skyrocketed since we deposed Saddam.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

We cut and run before the job was done. Shoulda stayed a hundred years like McCain said.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Here's an article from MOTHER JONES that appeared in 2003:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2003/03/thirty-year-itch

-------------------

A little nostalgia for the DA that calls himself KarlRove. You are a sickening POS.

KarlRove wrote:saddam paid the price...he brought that on himself.

Geez ....there you go again blaming the person that controlled the situation responsible!...

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/03/19-10

The US Invasion of Iraq Was a Crime and Its Perpetrators Are Murderers
On the criminology of the Iraq War on its tenth anniversary

by Paul Savoy

"...What did the President know and when did he know it? Wrong question. The proper question is: What should a reasonably prudent president have known about the legal justification for invading Iraq and why didn't the President know it?

We are so used to war and the threat of war as a legitimate adjunct of foreign policy that we easily lose sight of the reality that war consists of acts which, if performed by a private citizen or organization, would constitute serious felonies: mass murder, assaults with deadly weapons, maiming, arson, kidnapping, and the malicious destruction of property. The law immunizes political leaders from criminal liability so long as the war is legally justified. As a matter of international law, this generally means in compliance with the U.N. Charter. In terms of domestic law, it means in compliance with the U.S. Consitution, which requires either a declaration of war or a congressional authorization for the use of military force.

A careful reading of the Authorization for the Use of Force adopted by large bipartisan majorities in both the House and Senate shows the congressional authorization was hardly the "blank check" the news media portrayed it as. Congress limited the President's use of military force against Iraq by authorizing war only to:

(1) defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq, and

(2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq."
The use of the word "and" after the first paragraph is critical. While Congress did not require an imminent or immediate threat, it was not prepared to authorize the President to go to war over a violation of a Security Council Resolution involving WMDs unless there was also some likelihood that if left unchecked, Saddam would present a "continuing threat" of using those weapons against the United States in the foreseeable future.

In fact, there was no continuing threat because Saddam did not actually possess any WMDs. Nor were there reasonable grounds to believe at the time of the invasion that Saddam Hussein presented such a threat. The October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate (pdf), prepared for the President by the CIA and other intelligence agencies and made available to him five months before the invasion, made clear that while there were reasonable grounds to believe that "Baghdad has chemical and biological weapons," Saddam would not use them against the United States unless Iraq were attacked by us or threatened with an "imminent or unavoidable" attack.

The NIE, originally classified as Top Secret and released to the public in July 2003, contained this Key Judgment: "Baghdad for now appears to be drawing a line short of conducting terrorist attacks with conventional or CBW [chemical and biological warfare] against the United States, fearing that exposure of Iraq involvement would provide Washington a stronger case for making war. Iraq probably would attempt clandestine attacks against the US Homeland if Baghdad feared [that] an attack that threatened the survival of the regime were imminent or unavoidable, or possibly for revenge."

In other words, a reasonably prudent president would have known from reading the NIE that as long as the United States did not attack or threaten to attack, Iraq posed no continuing threat to the United States, as the congressional authorization required. A reasonable president therefore would have known that invading Iraq would have been unconstitutional.

If President Bush knew he had no constitutional authority to go to war, then he knowingly broke the law and a properly instructed jury would have little difficulty in finding him guilty of murder. Even if he was not conscious of any wrongdoing, which seems more likely, a jury would still be warranted in finding him guilty, at the very least, of criminally negligent homicide if it found that his ignorance constituted a failure to perform the duties of his office with due diligence..."

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! The little missive presented above this post is contradictory and misleading since the "author" doesn't seem to think chemical and biological weapons are WMDs. They are and the referenced NIE stated there was credible evidence SH had them (which he did). What a bunch of backward looking armchair quarterbacks.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/03/19-10

The US Invasion of Iraq Was a Crime and Its Perpetrators Are Murderers
On the criminology of the Iraq War on its tenth anniversary

by Paul Savoy

"...What did the President know and when did he know it? Wrong question. The proper question is: What should a reasonably prudent president have known about the legal justification for invading Iraq and why didn't the President know it?

We are so used to war and the threat of war as a legitimate adjunct of foreign policy that we easily lose sight of the reality that war consists of acts which, if performed by a private citizen or organization, would constitute serious felonies: mass murder, assaults with deadly weapons, maiming, arson, kidnapping, and the malicious destruction of property. The law immunizes political leaders from criminal liability so long as the war is legally justified. As a matter of international law, this generally means in compliance with the U.N. Charter. In terms of domestic law, it means in compliance with the U.S. Consitution, which requires either a declaration of war or a congressional authorization for the use of military force.

A careful reading of the Authorization for the Use of Force adopted by large bipartisan majorities in both the House and Senate shows the congressional authorization was hardly the "blank check" the news media portrayed it as. Congress limited the President's use of military force against Iraq by authorizing war only to:

(1) defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq, and

(2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq."
The use of the word "and" after the first paragraph is critical. While Congress did not require an imminent or immediate threat, it was not prepared to authorize the President to go to war over a violation of a Security Council Resolution involving WMDs unless there was also some likelihood that if left unchecked, Saddam would present a "continuing threat" of using those weapons against the United States in the foreseeable future.

In fact, there was no continuing threat because Saddam did not actually possess any WMDs. Nor were there reasonable grounds to believe at the time of the invasion that Saddam Hussein presented such a threat. The October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate (pdf), prepared for the President by the CIA and other intelligence agencies and made available to him five months before the invasion, made clear that while there were reasonable grounds to believe that "Baghdad has chemical and biological weapons," Saddam would not use them against the United States unless Iraq were attacked by us or threatened with an "imminent or unavoidable" attack.

The NIE, originally classified as Top Secret and released to the public in July 2003, contained this Key Judgment: "Baghdad for now appears to be drawing a line short of conducting terrorist attacks with conventional or CBW [chemical and biological warfare] against the United States, fearing that exposure of Iraq involvement would provide Washington a stronger case for making war. Iraq probably would attempt clandestine attacks against the US Homeland if Baghdad feared [that] an attack that threatened the survival of the regime were imminent or unavoidable, or possibly for revenge."

In other words, a reasonably prudent president would have known from reading the NIE that as long as the United States did not attack or threaten to attack, Iraq posed no continuing threat to the United States, as the congressional authorization required. A reasonable president therefore would have known that invading Iraq would have been unconstitutional.

If President Bush knew he had no constitutional authority to go to war, then he knowingly broke the law and a properly instructed jury would have little difficulty in finding him guilty of murder. Even if he was not conscious of any wrongdoing, which seems more likely, a jury would still be warranted in finding him guilty, at the very least, of criminally negligent homicide if it found that his ignorance constituted a failure to perform the duties of his office with due diligence..."

The fact that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield, and Wolfowitz don't dare travel out of the country speaks volumes.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

KarlRove wrote:WHo is MOST? Stats? Links? I think it was FUN.

FUN?

Gallup posted a breakdown of respondents. Actually, the only year shown re Iraq is from 2003, which just goes to show how evident the mistake was relatively early on in the Democrats' camp (73%). At the same point in time, only 30% of 'slow to catch on' Republicans had a clue that it was a mistake.

Ten years ago this week the US invaded Iraq V6q-9i10

To NoChain, good point about 20/20 hind sight, however the polling for the Iraq War is from 2003, the year Bush went in. I can't tell from the Gallup site if this was before or after the actual invasion but 2003 is not much of 'hind sight'.

nochain wrote:20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! The little missive presented above this post is contradictory and misleading since the "author" doesn't seem to think chemical and biological weapons are WMDs. They are and the referenced NIE stated there was credible evidence SH had them (which he did). What a bunch of backward looking armchair quarterbacks.

Wonder with the allegations in Syria whether chemical and/or biological weapons use will be considered WMDs...Strange that today if a country posses these weapons they have 'crossed the line' yet there was clear evidence that Sadaam (may he remain rotting) used them against his own people...

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Lurch wrote:I hope the war criminals are charged for their crimes..

Public hanging would be too good for these slimeballs.

othershoe1030 wrote:

FUN?

Gallup posted a breakdown of respondents. Actually, the only year shown re Iraq is from 2003, which just goes to show how evident the mistake was relatively early on in the Democrats' camp (73%). At the same point in time, only 30% of 'slow to catch on' Republicans had a clue that it was a mistake.

To NoChain, good point about 20/20 hind sight, however the polling for the Iraq War is from 2003, the year Bush went in. I can't tell from the Gallup site if this was before or after the actual invasion but 2003 is not much of 'hind sight'.

"FUN?" pd is a "Christian" and he thinks killin is fun..go figure..

[quote="othershoe1030"]

FUN?

To NoChain, good point about 20/20 hind sight, however the polling for the Iraq War is from 2003, the year Bush went in. I can't tell from the Gallup site if this was before or after the actual invasion but 2003 is not much of 'hind sight'.[/quot

Is there polling from the politicans that supported/authorized the use of military force then retreated from their own opinions/votes...That's the wonderful thing about armchair quarterbacks they change and their accountability is forgotten over the leaders that have to make a decision based on the information at that time and are accountable for their actions...

Floridatexan wrote:

I guess you would advocate your hero BHO to be part of that crowd then, after all drone attacks against U.S. citizens (the terrorist kind) sort of falls in line with your thinking. He has also involved us in African countries that are substantially less of a threat to us than Iraq was. What about Libya? BHO can use the military, drones, assassins, nuclear warheads or whatever to whack all the terrorists he wants as far as I am concerned since those actions are not any less "legal" than those of the crew who took this country back to Iraq. It's easy to look back and say "that was wrong" but your ilk conveniently forgets all the runup to the action, including concurrence of intelligence analysis by other nation states, some of whom also supplied troops there, not to mention the bipartisan majority support of Congress. Were they all wrong? Are they all "criminals"? By your thinking and that of your ultraliberal opinion writers the only answer must be yes.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

nochain wrote:20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! The little missive presented above this post is contradictory and misleading since the "author" doesn't seem to think chemical and biological weapons are WMDs. They are and the referenced NIE stated there was credible evidence SH had them (which he did). What a bunch of backward looking armchair quarterbacks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who knew Bush was lying AT THE TIME. This ain't 20-20 hindsight. This is the so-called leaders of our country using the media, the military, and the intelligence community to further their political and economic interests and their quest for power. How is it that so many people couldn't seem to grasp at the time that they were telling lies?

And this is one reason why I don't believe that 9/11 was perpetrated by a bunch of rogue Arabs with boxcutters and hijacked airliners...because not only does it fit the PNAC "new Pearl Harbor" scenario; it fits exactly with the desires of a certain segment of our "leadership" that wanted to secure the vast oil riches of the entire region...AT ANY COST.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

newswatcher wrote:

Wonder with the allegations in Syria whether chemical and/or biological weapons use will be considered WMDs...Strange that today if a country posses these weapons they have 'crossed the line' yet there was clear evidence that Sadaam (may he remain rotting) used them against his own people...

The latest news on Syria and chemical and/or biological weapons is that the reports can't be verified and it is doubtful if they've been used. We will have to wait and see on this one. (NPR top of the hour news that I was half listening to).

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

nochain wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I guess you would advocate your hero BHO to be part of that crowd then, after all drone attacks against U.S. citizens (the terrorist kind) sort of falls in line with your thinking. He has also involved us in African countries that are substantially less of a threat to us than Iraq was. What about Libya? BHO can use the military, drones, assassins, nuclear warheads or whatever to whack all the terrorists he wants as far as I am concerned since those actions are not any less "legal" than those of the crew who took this country back to Iraq. It's easy to look back and say "that was wrong" but your ilk conveniently forgets all the runup to the action, including concurrence of intelligence analysis by other nation states, some of whom also supplied troops there, not to mention the bipartisan majority support of Congress. Were they all wrong? Are they all "criminals"? By your thinking and that of your ultraliberal opinion writers the only answer must be yes.

If by "other nation-states" you're referring to Tony Blair and the Brits, they're still doing their own investigations. My viewpoint over time has not changed one iota. I knew Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and their cohorts were lying through their teeth then, just as I know it now. Many of these same people were cheerleaders for the Vietnam War, and when Bush the Idiot gained the presidency through a sham election, these chickenhawks were back in full force, this time with the complete backing of those holding the highest offices in the land.

[quote="othershoe1030"]
newswatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:20-20 .

The latest news on Syria and chemical and/or biological weapons is that the reports can't be verified and it is doubtful if they've been used. We will have to wait and see on this one. (NPR top of the hour news that I was half listening to).

Not a picture perfect case but in all likelihood someone popped off a chemical weapon of some sort - I have seen an earlier report stating it may have been chlorine - if so it's likely "insurgents" did it to try and force an international response. It's a mess.

"On Tuesday night, U.S. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers told CNN there was a "high probability to believe that chemical weapons were used." And in the same interview, Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Diane Feinstein said "the White House has to make a decision in this. I think the days are becoming more desperate."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/20/world/meast/israel-syria-chemical-weapons/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Margin Call

Margin Call

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:On the positive side, oil production in Iraq has skyrocketed since we deposed Saddam.

Aren't they producing about the same since 9/11?

and we still have people there.

and we have been picking fights all over and sending troops all over to die.

Lurch wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

FUN?

"FUN?" pd is a "Christian" and he thinks killin is fun..go figure..

Read Ecclesiastes....there is a season for everthing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum