Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Always thought I was decent at guitar...until I saw this kid...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Don't see any reason to play anymore. This kid is holding it down.

Slicef18

Slicef18

boards of FL wrote:Don't see any reason to play anymore. This kid is holding it down.

What is the name of that song? I suspect the boy has this one style of playing and couldn't play Yankee Doodle Dixie or other recognizable songs.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's phenomenal skill. But slice could be right. If so it would be like Rodrigo Sanchez. Mastery of a unique personal style of playing.

This kid started appearing w/ Buddy Guy when he was 7-8yo. He's 13 on this one.

Quinn Sullivan: Kid's got style...early Clapton-ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZoGLZvmVAw

When he was 7yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_JKQSV_CQ

When he was 5...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdt0XVcdiI

I have made several purchases of his stuff on iTunes...someone to watch mature. He's already got the soul of folk 10X his age.

He's got stage awareness in spades...style and technique...taste....and, yes, he sings.

And he will continue to be overshadowed by the bieber's for obvious reasons.

2seaoat

kid has talent.

2seaoat wrote:kid has talent.

Yes he is talented for his style of play, but he has a long way to go to rank up there with the Eric Clapton's, David Gilmour, Dick Dale, Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray Vaughn's of the guitar world.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Yes he is talented for his style of play, but he has a long way to go to rank up there with the Eric Clapton's, David Gilmour, Dick Dale, Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray Vaughn's of the guitar world.

Dude. He's 13.

Roddy wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dude. He's 13.

I understand that, he is now 17(actually according to his Facebook page he is 19) and his playing style is still the same. FYI, Stevie Ray Vaughn formed his first band when he was only 10. A guitarist is defined by their style of play. If a guitarist is good then he should be compared to others. Now believe me I am not at all detracting from his talent, just comparing him to some of the greats that started young.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dude. He's 13.

I understand that, he is now 17(actually according to his Facebook page he is 19) and his playing style is still the same. FYI, Stevie Ray Vaughn formed his first band when he was only 10. A guitarist is defined by their style of play. If a guitarist is good then he should be compared to others. Now believe me I am not at all detracting from his talent, just comparing him to some of the greats that started young.

"(actually according to his Facebook page he is 19) and his playing style is still the same."

Still playing the same without broadening his musical pallet is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm thinking of Leo Kottke who make a living playing a similar style. However it's the Les Pauls, Glen Campbell and Chet Atkins's who are the masters of their craft Not to mention Andrés Segovia and other classical guitar players.

Slicef18 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dude. He's 13.

"(actually according to his Facebook page he is 19) and his playing style is still the same."

Still playing the same without broadening his musical pallet is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm thinking of Leo Kottke who make a living playing a similar style. However it's the Les Pauls, Glen Campbell and Chet Atkins's who are the masters of their craft Not to mention Andrés Segovia and other classical guitar players.

I'm not saying that broadening a style is not a good thing. He seems to be doing damn well with what he is doing. Recorded his first album at 14 and his second at 17. I honestly could not play the style that he does.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dude. He's 13.

I'm not saying that broadening a style is not a good thing. He seems to be doing damn well with what he is doing. Recorded his first album at 14 and his second at 17. I honestly could not play the style that he does.

Nor would I want to. It's all notes and no melody.

Slicef18 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Roddy wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Dude. He's 13.

Nor would I want to. It's all notes and no melody.

I saw where his type of music is considered "New Wave", maybe that's why I am not a fan of his(talented yes, fan no). I have not lost any love at all for New Wave.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum