Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida's School-to-Prison Pipeline is Largest in the Nation

+3
gulfbeachbandit
TEOTWAWKI
Floridatexan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.alternet.org/education/floridas-school-prison-pipeline-largest-nation

"It used to be that getting in a schoolyard fight meant a trip to the principal’s office—detention, maybe. But in Florida, more than any other state, that schoolyard fight can lead to the student’s arrest and even felony charges. Last year 12,000 students were arrested 13,870 times in Florida public schools, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The arrests are meted out unevenly. Black students are just 21 percent of Florida youth, but make up 46 percent of all school-related referrals to law enforcement, according to the Sun Sentinel.

The majority of the arrests, 67 percent, were for infractions like fist fights, dress-code violations, and talking back—schoolyard misbehavior that, in Florida and elsewhere, increasngly results in misdemeanor criminal charges. “The vast majority of children being arrested in schools are not committing criminal acts,” Wansley Walters, secretary of the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, told the Orlando Sentinel..."

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://inweekly.net/wordpress/?p=13753

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Prison is a fricken business that thrives on cheap labor...They were just given the contract to produce military uniforms....welcome to China....

I think it's time that we begin to view prisoners not as a scourge on society... but as members of society that have simply chosen a different career path and lifestyle. Crime is just another vocation and prisons are just a community outreach program.

I can't remember where I was going with this... carry on.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.alternet.org/education/floridas-school-prison-pipeline-largest-nation

"It used to be that getting in a schoolyard fight meant a trip to the principal’s office—detention, maybe. But in Florida, more than any other state, that schoolyard fight can lead to the student’s arrest and even felony charges. Last year 12,000 students were arrested 13,870 times in Florida public schools, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The arrests are meted out unevenly. Black students are just 21 percent of Florida youth, but make up 46 percent of all school-related referrals to law enforcement, according to the Sun Sentinel.

The majority of the arrests, 67 percent, were for infractions like fist fights, dress-code violations, and talking back—schoolyard misbehavior that, in Florida and elsewhere, increasngly results in misdemeanor criminal charges. “The vast majority of children being arrested in schools are not committing criminal acts,” Wansley Walters, secretary of the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, told the Orlando Sentinel..."

Any info on the race of the majority that were arrested?
Minorities in public are usually majorities in jail. Why is that?
Unless there is a sale on Nike's.

PkrBum wrote:I think it's time that we begin to view prisoners not as a scourge on society... but as members of society that have simply chosen a different career path and lifestyle. Crime is just another vocation and prisons are just a community outreach program.

LOL!

Ghandi wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

White people like you who beat up people for cutting in lines don't get arrested,do they? Doesn't matter. A criminal is a criminal whether they get arrested or not.

Floridatexan wrote:

So whats the problem? The school is not allowed to discipline kids, parents obviously do not give a shit about the kids behavior. So should we put all the kids at risk by allowing kids who obviously have violent behavior issues to remain in the class room. Do we just wait for one of these violent kids to bring a gun to school and murder someone before we decide maybe they have a problem. I know maybe those poor kids just need a hug, that will fix it.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:

Simple, schools and teachers are no longer allowed discipline. If they do, there's a lawsuit. If a kid gets kicked out of school, there's a lawsuit. No one can be held back, it might damage their self esteem. Therefore, teachers have to teach to the lowest denominator in the class. In many cities and school districts, minority students who work hard and do well are ridiculed and bullied.

It is a shift in cultures caused by the Progressives and their desperate need to reward bad behavior and punish good behavior.

Slicef18

Slicef18

But just think about all the jobs that are created by making these things illegal.

Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Simple, schools and teachers are no longer allowed discipline. If they do, there's a lawsuit. If a kid gets kicked out of school, there's a lawsuit. No one can be held back, it might damage their self esteem. Therefore, teachers have to teach to the lowest denominator in the class. In many cities and school districts, minority students who work hard and do well are ridiculed and bullied.

It is a shift in cultures caused by the Progressives and their desperate need to reward bad behavior and punish good behavior.

Thank you

Also; anyone else ever notie FT will post stories and links andnever give commentary? troll

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Chrissy wrote:
Markle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Thank you

Also; anyone else ever notie FT will post stories and links andnever give commentary? troll

Here's a comment for you...I'm actually sorry for you because you're such a hateful, vile, disgusting excuse for a human being.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Ghandi wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

RACIAL PROFILING.

Next question?

PkrBum wrote:I think it's time that we begin to view prisoners not as a scourge on society... but as members of society that have simply chosen a different career path and lifestyle. Crime is just another vocation and prisons are just a community outreach program.

Florida's School-to-Prison Pipeline is Largest in the Nation Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB2kS-nzTUoGYB1FPVMxJ3-akj4-T6zFBSg3uDttwz2UXoVLHYFg

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFU8fYkqDg

Very Happy

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
Ghandi wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

RACIAL PROFILING.

Next question?

How?

16Florida's School-to-Prison Pipeline is Largest in the Nation Empty Pretzel logic? 2/18/2013, 5:25 pm

Slicef18 wrote:But just think about all the jobs that are created by making these things illegal.

Using this logic someone could break all the windows in the neighborhood, and say "look at all the jobs created to replace the windows". Kinda twisted, isn't it?

NaNook

NaNook

The reporter didn't research application laws and Fed Regs. It is illegal to ask an applicant if they have ever been arrested, period. Only if they have been convicted. It's been the law since the 70s. Young offenders don't go to prison, they go to boot-camps. There is one close by and their record is cleared of minor charges.

Remember, catch them while they are young.!!!

Isn't that what state education does? Obama wants em earlier too... who needs parents?

NaNook

NaNook

PkrBum wrote:Isn't that what state education does? Obama wants em earlier too... who needs parents?

BUM,

For low income children, "parents" is a fantasy. Always has been always will be........some races are better at trying to remain intact as a family unit. Other races, not so much. It's the scourge of modern society...unaborted children born for the purpose of collecting more Federal/State benefits. The same children discarded....unto the care of taxpayers.

We need a minimum 5% income flat tax with no-deductions. Everyone pays something...it's FAIR. We need a Federal Sales Tax to teach people to save. The next 10-20 years are going to be eye-openers. The Boomers are going to be disappointed with the transfer of wealth. It's already starting.....

Margin Call

Margin Call

NaNook wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Isn't that what state education does? Obama wants em earlier too... who needs parents?

BUM,

For low income children, "parents" is a fantasy. Always has been always will be........some races are better at trying to remain intact as a family unit. Other races, not so much. It's the scourge of modern society...unaborted children born for the purpose of collecting more Federal/State benefits. The same children discarded....unto the care of taxpayers.

We need a minimum 5% income flat tax with no-deductions. Everyone pays something...it's FAIR. We need a Federal Sales Tax to teach people to save. The next 10-20 years are going to be eye-openers. The Boomers are going to be disappointed with the transfer of wealth. It's already starting.....

So many boomers in a financial situation very far removed from what they envisioned retirement to be. Lot of millionaires have been busted in the last 3-4 years.

More social engineering... what could go wrong? I like the idea of putting skin in the game... some natural selection and real examination of results might help too. Bad ideas fail.

NaNook

NaNook

Margin Call wrote:
NaNook wrote:

BUM,

So many boomers in a financial situation very far removed from what they envisioned retirement to be. Lot of millionaires have been busted in the last 3-4 years.

Margin,

I come from a family of five children. One of us plowed the ground while the other four waited to reap the rewards of the harvest. It was a great harvest, split 5 ways not as great as the 4 thought. I never thought at the age of 60 I would see people complain about only receiving 400k in assets.

Then again, at the age of 60, I had my own assets. Now I'm 62, and have increased my assets. I do receive postcards from all over the world from my sisters. I throw them in the trash and wonder what their kids expect from them on their deaths bed.

I love making money, I hate spending money. I am working on it.....

Margin Call

Margin Call

NaNook wrote:
Margin Call wrote:
NaNook wrote:

BUM,

Margin,

I come from a family of five children. One of us plowed the ground while the other four waited to reap the rewards of the harvest. It was a great harvest, split 5 ways not as great as the 4 thought. I never thought at the age of 60 I would see people complain about only receiving 400k in assets.

Then again, at the age of 60, I had my own assets. Now I'm 62, and have increased my assets. I do receive postcards from all over the world from my sisters. I throw them in the trash and wonder what their kids expect from them on their deaths bed.

I love making money, I hate spending money. I am working on it.....

I see the the same within many families. Two or three are still rich....one is broke after receiving an amazing gift. Just an observation; not my problem. I would commend you, but I would do the same thing and don't see it as something extraordinary....like you, I don't understand some people.

Floridatexan wrote:

Bring back discipline in the schools. Let teachers teach. Judges force kids back into school while on probation, but do not make it to where the student has to perform, just attend. When you get a kid back from DJJ, they are a hero to their peers and there is no longer a punishment that the school can give which is meaningful to the thug.
I know what the ADA and Public Law 94-142 says about educating kids with disabilities in the least restrictive environment, but when the needs of the FEW outweigh the needs of the MANY to get a good education, that is when the dog is not wagging the tail, but the tail is wagging the dog and it is asinine.
With the new push of total inclusion of all kids with disabilities in gen ed classrooms last year, this year and now forever (unless alternately assessed for FCAT), kids not normally in your Algebra II class are going to be there just because the JUDGE says so and not because they really belong. We've really went too far with this now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/florida-atlantic-football-stadium_n_2720223.html?utm_hp_ref=email_share

There's big money in prisons.. I think we should make more things illegal, Putting alcohol and tobacco on the list will bring in big profits.. after that we can add caffeine and sugar.. Then we'll be raking it in.. What a Face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum