Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Medal For Armchair Drone Pilots Will Outrank Bronze Star

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

WTF??

The Pentagon is creating a new high-level military medal that will recognize drone pilots and, in a controversial twist, giving it added clout by placing it above some traditional combat valor medals in the military’s “order of precedence.”

The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to pilots of unmanned aircraft, offensive cyber war experts or others who are directly involved in combat operations but who are not physically in theater and facing the physical risks that warfare historically entails.

The new medal will rank just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It will have precedence over — and be worn on a uniform above — the Bronze Star with Valor device, a medal awarded to troops for specific heroic acts performed under fire in combat.

The new medal is a brass pendant, nearly two inches tall, with a laurel wreath that circles a globe. An eagle is in the center. The ribbon has blue, red and white stripes.

The order of precedence came as a surprise to Doug Sterner, a military medals expert and the curator of the Military Times Hall of Valor, the largest database of military medal recipients.

“It’s got me puzzled,” Sterner said in an interview Wednesday. “I understand the need to recognize the guys at the console who are doing some pretty important things. But to see it ranking above the Bronze Star [with] V?”

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/02/mct-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/

Perhaps everyone should just get a green participant ribbon. There are way too many feelings at stake here.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well you could get burned trying to drink coffee while blowing up a wedding party......keep it up idiots hell's a waitin.

PkrBum wrote:Perhaps everyone should just get a green participant ribbon. There are way too many feelings at stake here.

Sorta like the Grenada day camp and old time tent revival meetin' where Reagan exorcized the DoD demon and made it cool to once again be the world's police force.

Everybody got a medal.

This is beyond rediculous.

How demoralizing for those serving on the ground in harms way.

This is disgusting.

Sal

Sal

Their medals should look like these ...

New Medal For Armchair Drone Pilots Will Outrank Bronze Star 94601_original

They're gamers, not heroes.

Sal wrote:WTF??

The Pentagon is creating a new high-level military medal that will recognize drone pilots and, in a controversial twist, giving it added clout by placing it above some traditional combat valor medals in the military’s “order of precedence.”

The Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to pilots of unmanned aircraft, offensive cyber war experts or others who are directly involved in combat operations but who are not physically in theater and facing the physical risks that warfare historically entails.

The new medal will rank just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. It will have precedence over — and be worn on a uniform above — the Bronze Star with Valor device, a medal awarded to troops for specific heroic acts performed under fire in combat.

The new medal is a brass pendant, nearly two inches tall, with a laurel wreath that circles a globe. An eagle is in the center. The ribbon has blue, red and white stripes.

The order of precedence came as a surprise to Doug Sterner, a military medals expert and the curator of the Military Times Hall of Valor, the largest database of military medal recipients.

“It’s got me puzzled,” Sterner said in an interview Wednesday. “I understand the need to recognize the guys at the console who are doing some pretty important things. But to see it ranking above the Bronze Star [with] V?”

[url=http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/02/mct-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/02/mct-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/[/quote[/url]]

Since you have no clue as to how this career field works and how commissioned Os are being left behind promotionwise after having been forced into this AFSC, I'd shut up while you are ahead.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Since you have no clue as to how this career field works and how commissioned Os are being left behind promotionwise after having been forced into this AFSC, I'd shut up while you are ahead.

I guess this guy probably should as well...

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Sal wrote:WTF??

[url=http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/02/mct-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/02/mct-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313/[/quote[/url]]

Since you have no clue as to how this career field works and how commissioned Os are being left behind promotionwise after having been forced into this AFSC, I'd shut up while you are ahead.

Stupid commies at the Marine Corps Times.

lol

Pilots and sensor operators of drones have probably saved more lives than posts you have made on these forums.
A MIC can see exactly what is happening around the corner, over the next hill, and on the next street in the dark when the folks on the ground are asking for some SA during their ops. They line up supporting fire from drones, the gunships, artillery and other entities to make sure the guys on the ground aren't walking into traps. You guys only see and read what the MSM gives you. There's a larger picture out there than most of you can comprehend or even imagine. These medals were needed. It is especially true when trying to make rank being compared to the guy who you just did support for when he earned "X" medals for said op and you only are able to get 1/2 of what he just earned. This will be for Pred and Reaper crews only. It is about time.

NaNook

NaNook

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Pilots and sensor operators of drones have probably saved more lives than posts you have made on these forums.
A MIC can see exactly what is happening around the corner, over the next hill, and on the next street in the dark when the folks on the ground are asking for some SA during their ops. They line up supporting fire from drones, the gunships, artillery and other entities to make sure the guys on the ground aren't walking into traps. You guys only see and read what the MSM gives you. There's a larger picture out there than most of you can comprehend or even imagine. These medals were needed. It is especially true when trying to make rank being compared to the guy who you just did support for when he earned "X" medals for said op and you only are able to get 1/2 of what he just earned. This will be for Pred and Reaper crews only. It is about time.

No offense, I'll remind myself as my son is deployed from BRU to AFG on FEB25. Obama brags about pulling people out, then why is my son going in? He has done 4 tours since 2005. When will the combat Women and Gays take the front lines? Now is the time, isn't it?

If not, why not????

NaNook wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Pilots and sensor operators of drones have probably saved more lives than posts you have made on these forums.

No offense, I'll remind myself as my son is deployed from BRU to AFG on FEB25. Obama brags about pulling people out, then why is my son going in? He has done 4 tours since 2005. When will the combat Women and Gays take the front lines? Now is the time, isn't it?

If not, why not????

People are assigned to deploy by ULNs, not sexual preference. Why are you such a bigot? BTW, I have SEVEN trips across the pond since 9-11. The people running the drone missions are the EYES of every TIP of the SPEAR. They are generally on station before even the SOF guys arrive. The intel they provide is priceless and there would be more casualties and KIAs without their valuable assistance.

Is saving an American soldier not worth a medal? Hell, the BS is not what it used to be anyhow as the AF is awarding them to people working in FINANCE for some freaking reason.
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/04/air-force-tech-sergeants-take-heat-bronze-stars-041612/

Without compromising Natl Sec, here is a scenario for you Sally:
You're on the ground in the Kornegal Valley with as a SEAL team member looking for an HVT. My Pred or Reaper is overhead scouting out the ground ahead of you and making sure you have some SA (situational awareness) of what is coming your way.

I notice, as you enter a small 'ville, that there are four guys armed with what looks to be AKs and RPGs hiding behind a building to the northeast of your approach to said 'ville.
Is that info worth your life?

Is it something you want to know before you send your fellow team members into a building that the aforementioned tangos are covering as a security detail?

What if I notice too, that on your route to the 'ville, that I see a couple of guys on a ridge with an overlook position that could lead to an ambush of your team that could wind up killing all of your folks? Is that worth your life?

*More often than not, the insurgents in Astan ALWAYS seem to have the high ground with that overlook position. Ask Marcus Lattrell author of LONE SURVIVOR. He would have been greatful for a drone when his team was getting sliced up in Astan.

Is that info not worth a medal that lets your team create a plan to deal with said enemy so that you don't end up having to write that letter home to someone's parents? Maybe you don't care?

Pred and Reaper crews are over the heads of every mission. They are the eyes and ears of our folks on the ground kicking in doors. They coordinate the support needed to ensure that said people make it home each night to the FOB or MOB.

I'd describe more, but it would violate OPSEC. While it may be a BORING mission to you, said DOORKICKERS often request specific units to back them up on missions. They ask for them by name based on reputation. If they were doing something substandard and not worthwhile this would not occur, but because it does, there is obviously a value to what they do. You don't know because people like you:

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand
ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum