Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen on sensors in the US

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.iris.edu/spudservice/data/1066761 This is a 17-meg MP4 video showing wave after wave hitting seismic sensors from 7,000 miles away. This is the earthquake that spawned a Tsunami with resultant deaths.

Good video... worth watching. The graphic below is not the video. The video is at the top of this post.

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen on sensors in the US Earthq10

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I have no idea what it was but measuring the aves of that quake, I mean what kind of waves was it measuring and what does it mean?

I'm in a little bit of a silly mood today the waves reminded me of hair standing on end lol

Chrissy wrote:That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I have no idea what it was but measuring the aves of that quake, I mean what kind of waves was it measuring and what does it mean?

I'm in a little bit of a silly mood today the waves reminded me of hair standing on end lol

There was a short article on Popular Science's website. Here's the text of the article.

Nobody in the American midwest felt the massive magnitude 8 earthquake that shook the Solomon Islands, 7000 miles away, and sent a tsunami wave crashing into villages yesterday, but waves of seismic energy did travel through the ground below their feet, and a series of sudden ripples did move the whole country up and down several times before the tremor's vast energy faded away and died.

Those ripples were recorded in beautiful detail by a dense grid of seismic stations that has been migrating across the country since 2005, and currently spans a 300-mile wide belt that extents from Florida in the south to Minnesota and Michigan:

Here is a link to the Earthquake info. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/06/solomon-islands-earthquake-triggers-tsunami

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum