Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can insurance stop gun violence?

+2
PBulldog2
A View
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

A View

Who do I go to when a criminal commits a crime with a firearm? Seems like an end run around my right to own firearms. Infringement?

They are trying to make insurance a requirement if you have a permit in PA. So whatever you think it will be coming to you or a State near you in the future, and who knows what else the Gov will require you to get insurance to cover.

By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

Monday, February 4, 2013

Posted: 2 pm ET

Legislators in Massachusetts invited insurance into the discussion last month when they proposed a state law that would require gun owners to purchase liability insurance in the event one of their firearms should cause injury or death.

The proposal, believed to be the first of its kind, comes in the wake of the December slayings of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Such mandatory insurance coverage could include incentive discounts for gun owners who take firearms safety courses and store their weapons properly.

In addition, the bill would enable insurance companies to do what law enforcement agents cannot under current Massachusetts law: enter a person's home to verify that guns are secured. That's a step that could be taken before a liability policy is issued.

The proposed gun insurance law does not address how much liability insurance would be required or whether coverage under a homeowners insurance policy would be sufficient. But it does state that those found to be in possession of an uninsured gun would face a fine of between $500 and $5,000 or up to a year in jail.

Rep. David Linsky, the bill's sponsor, says there are ample precedents that insurance used for the public good can save countless lives.

"Insurance companies were able to discourage smoking through the marketplace and make cars safer through the marketplace," he observed.

Gun rights activists have been quick to denounce the bill as what they call another misguided attempt to saddle law-abiding gun owners with unnecessary regulation. They maintain that such a law would penalize those who buy and own guns legally while having little impact on those who acquire weapons illegally.

"Now we're going to have insurance companies telling us how we are supposed to be trained and where we are going to store our guns?" asked Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League in Massachusetts.

But in the wake of the Sandy Hook slayings, the idea of inviting insurance into the discussion was welcomed by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, who co-chairs Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and new Massachusetts senior Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

"It's time that we think about alternative ways that we can effectively deal with gun violence," Warren said. "We need better research. We need better understanding. We need to try different approaches to protect our children."

What are your thoughts? Would a gun liability insurance law stem gun violence in America?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Oh, yeah. By all means, let's have insurance companies and the states profit from the Sandy Hook tragedy. After all, profit is the American way.

While we're at it, let's ignore the solutions that cost money, such as treatment for those who have serious mental illnesses.

I'm not crazy about the idea of them coming into your home to inspect your gun safety.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think we are all insurance poor....we don't need more.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Can insurance stop house fires and car wrecks ? Evil or Very Mad

Can insurance stop gun violence? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTijIStjk4y5RDVlmLmtlkNVIJYJlvvvtBrvEp7qJbKrwUFq-H9

I must need to start my own insurance company. That way I can charge money to everyone else so I can live nicely. Then when a incident happens I can declare bankruptcy or demand a bailout. If I have to fold the business then I can start something else with the cash I took out or keep on going if I am bailed out. Just like the bankers did when they got their bailouts.

I'm thinking that coverage on knives, bats, axes, shards of glass, etc... might be necessary... Of course these will all have to be covered under separate policies.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

Smile

This thread is useless.

Joanimaroni wrote:I think we are all insurance poor....we don't need more.

Agreed.

Markle

Markle

Insurance? Yeah, that sounds like a winner. I wonder how much the murder count would have gone down in Chicago had the Mexican Drug gangs been required to have insurance on their guns.

The common thread running through all the shooters is either a twisted mind or critical mental disorders known by at least some or many people surrounding these individuals.

Problem is, there are good privacy laws which prevent those problems being made public. Figure out a fair way to settle those issues and we'll make headway.

Asinine.

Ain't nobody coming inside my house to inspect my gun.

Gun? I ain't got no gun. Hurricane destroyed them.

Yomama wrote:Asinine.

the few in my name fell in the ocean while i was fishing.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Ironsights wrote:
Yomama wrote:Asinine.

the few in my name fell in the ocean while i was fishing.

My dog ate mine.

Yella

Yella

A View wrote:Who do I go to when a criminal commits a crime with a firearm? Seems like an end run around my right to own firearms. Infringement?

They are trying to make insurance a requirement if you have a permit in PA. So whatever you think it will be coming to you or a State near you in the future, and who knows what else the Gov will require you to get insurance to cover.

By Jay MacDonald · Bankrate.com

Monday, February 4, 2013

Posted: 2 pm ET

Legislators in Massachusetts invited insurance into the discussion last month when they proposed a state law that would require gun owners to purchase liability insurance in the event one of their firearms should cause injury or death.

The proposal, believed to be the first of its kind, comes in the wake of the December slayings of 26 children and adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Such mandatory insurance coverage could include incentive discounts for gun owners who take firearms safety courses and store their weapons properly.

In addition, the bill would enable insurance companies to do what law enforcement agents cannot under current Massachusetts law: enter a person's home to verify that guns are secured. That's a step that could be taken before a liability policy is issued.

The proposed gun insurance law does not address how much liability insurance would be required or whether coverage under a homeowners insurance policy would be sufficient. But it does state that those found to be in possession of an uninsured gun would face a fine of between $500 and $5,000 or up to a year in jail.

Rep. David Linsky, the bill's sponsor, says there are ample precedents that insurance used for the public good can save countless lives.

"Insurance companies were able to discourage smoking through the marketplace and make cars safer through the marketplace," he observed.

Gun rights activists have been quick to denounce the bill as what they call another misguided attempt to saddle law-abiding gun owners with unnecessary regulation. They maintain that such a law would penalize those who buy and own guns legally while having little impact on those who acquire weapons illegally.

"Now we're going to have insurance companies telling us how we are supposed to be trained and where we are going to store our guns?" asked Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League in Massachusetts.

But in the wake of the Sandy Hook slayings, the idea of inviting insurance into the discussion was welcomed by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, who co-chairs Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and new Massachusetts senior Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

"It's time that we think about alternative ways that we can effectively deal with gun violence," Warren said. "We need better research. We need better understanding. We need to try different approaches to protect our children."

What are your thoughts? Would a gun liability insurance law stem gun violence in America?

Damn straight!

Trodante walks up to De Shaun and says, "You're selling coke on MY corner if you don't get gone I'm gonna waste you with my Glock!"
To which Trodante says with a sneering laugh,
"Ha! Try it. I've got American Beauty Insurance!"

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum