Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stone Cold Killers

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stone Cold Killers Empty Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:13 am

Sal

Sal

Stone Cold Killers Machine-gun-cat-animation

Holy crap!

14.7 BILLION kills!

In a report that scaled up local surveys and pilot studies to national dimensions, scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that domestic cats in the United States — both the pet Fluffies that spend part of the day outdoors and the unnamed strays and ferals that never leave it — kill a median of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals a year, most of them native mammals like shrews, chipmunks and voles rather than introduced pests like the Norway rat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html

2Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:17 am

My cat is always bringing a kill in to show us through the pet door. It is irritating as hades. When we first put that pet door in, the cat would not go through. It was mainly for the dog to be able to take care of business when we're away from the house. Dang CAT...and the cat wonders why it can't come in to the main part of the house!! LOL...well that and my allergies to cats...ex-wife tried to kill me with cats years ago.

3Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:39 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yes, cats are killers. I have 3 of them, but they are inside cats (all are "rescue" cats, one from Japan and two from Huntsville). It's the feral cats doing the most damage and I am in favor of trapping and spaying them. I won't say to euthanize them...cause I am a cat lover and I just cannot say that Crying or Very sad ....But in reality, kitties are doing a lot of damage out there.

Yesterday was warm here. I put bird seed out for the birds and chipmunks and I opened the glass doors on both ends of the sun room. The cats spent all afternoon watching the chipmunks and birds. Well, two of them did, the other cat doesn't care what's outside, lol.

4Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:44 am

Yella

Yella

PACEDOG#1 wrote:My cat is always bringing a kill in to show us through the pet door. It is irritating as hades. When we first put that pet door in, the cat would not go through. It was mainly for the dog to be able to take care of business when we're away from the house. Dang CAT...and the cat wonders why it can't come in to the main part of the house!! LOL...well that and my allergies to cats...ex-wife tried to kill me with cats years ago.

It is interesting, PACEDOG, every cat I have ever had has done this. I have never had a dog that displayed kills but all cats do it. Why? They like to kill snakes as well as rodents and birds.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

5Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:47 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yella wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:My cat is always bringing a kill in to show us through the pet door. It is irritating as hades. When we first put that pet door in, the cat would not go through. It was mainly for the dog to be able to take care of business when we're away from the house. Dang CAT...and the cat wonders why it can't come in to the main part of the house!! LOL...well that and my allergies to cats...ex-wife tried to kill me with cats years ago.

It is interesting, PACEDOG, every cat I have ever had has done this. I have never had a dog that displayed kills but all cats do it. Why? They like to kill snakes as well as rodents and birds.

It's like them bringing you a present--"Look, see what I brought you!". That's what I have read, anyway.

I know there are dog people and cat people and I know that some people aren't fond of cats. But I have found cats to be very affectionate. I don't find them cold and aloof like some people do. Our Japanese cat used to wait for my daughter to come home from school every day. The cat was so happy to see her. The cat slept all day, but in the afternoon, she would come downstairs and sit on the windowsill and wait from my daughter to get off the bus. You could see the bus stop from our living room window. The cat would meet my daughter at the front door when she saw her walking towards the house.

6Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:51 am

Sal wrote:Stone Cold Killers Machine-gun-cat-animation

Holy crap!

14.7 BILLION kills!

In a report that scaled up local surveys and pilot studies to national dimensions, scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that domestic cats in the United States — both the pet Fluffies that spend part of the day outdoors and the unnamed strays and ferals that never leave it — kill a median of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals a year, most of them native mammals like shrews, chipmunks and voles rather than introduced pests like the Norway rat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html

Congress to hold hearings to ban killer cats.....

7Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 10:55 am

Sal

Sal

Yella wrote:

I stood at my kitchen window a few years back and watched my husky sunbathing on the patio, while a squirrel ate out of his food bowl some ten feet away.

The dog just laid there and watched, never moved a muscle.

8Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:00 am

Good topic. Last night i happen to look under the desk where my dog was scuffling around. She had put a damn big dead RAT at my feet. . Ugh. She has done it before. [img]Stone Cold Killers F4eccp[/img]

9Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:02 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Your dog catches rats? That's a good thing, isn't it? Smile

10Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:11 am

She catches and kills anything small. Kittens, small squirrels, rats, all the same to her. Yet she was a great Mom and is a very gentle dog. Just hates rats and such. Perfect dog for the West side.

11Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:12 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

She kills KITTENS? NOOOOOO!

12Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:16 am

We have had some long talks about that.

13Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:19 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

hallmarkgrad wrote:We have had some long talks about that.

cat

14Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:31 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yella wrote:

I have one cat I call Diana the Huntress. She will kill and then bring us most anything, including dragging a huge dove through the cat door one day (and our cat door is elevated, so she had to pick the bird up to bring it through the door. The bird was twice her size.

Then, she loves to walk around the house in a queenly manner, holding her catch in front for all to see, all the while being wildly shooed by those with whom she deigns to live. After the parade, she runs outside and eats it. All of it. I don't know how it fits sometimes, and I used to worry about her diet,but dhe's healthy as heck!

I call our other fat cat, Bruno, the Lazy Hunter. His crimes are all of opportunity only. If he sees a lizard or a large cypress roach outside, he'll jump on them and put them in a pile. I've never seen him eat one.

15Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:36 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

hallmarkgrad wrote:Good topic. Last night i happen to look under the desk where my dog was scuffling around. She had put a damn big dead RAT at my feet. . Ugh. She has done it before. [img]Stone Cold Killers F4eccp[/img]

Belle has been known to drag those huge East Hill river rats into our computer room. She puts them under the table, until we realized they are (which happens quickly!) Then she either starts muncihing and crunching out of our reach or picks it up and runs outside.

One night, when our little dog Mikey had to spent the night at the vet's office, Belle brought a huge rat and put it right in Mikey's bed. It was as if she was trying to get him to come home and eat. It was a sweet and sour touch, for sure! [Mikey never got his rat.)

16Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 11:46 am

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Good topic. Last night i happen to look under the desk where my dog was scuffling around. She had put a damn big dead RAT at my feet. . Ugh. She has done it before. [img]Stone Cold Killers F4eccp[/img]

Hallmark,your dog is some kind of terrier. It is in their genes to kill small animals. Rats were a huge problem in our past and terriers were bred to kill them.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

17Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 12:53 pm

Stone Cold Killers Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRptdaqf5YRW0h99lG01RkZjqbzRZyVW-zs5DLPDnmgJ0l16iwchg

Funny... It tastes like chicken with fur.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

Smile

18Stone Cold Killers Empty Re: Stone Cold Killers 1/30/2013, 2:40 pm

Yella wrote:

Hallmark,your dog is some kind of terrier. It is in their genes to kill small animals. Rats were a huge problem in our past and terriers were bred to kill them.

Correct Mr Yella. It is in her genes. Not long ago she cornered something out side in the rain but she would not come in. I had to go get her and bring her inside and shut the dog door. She was muddy and wet and she was mad that I brought her in. She doesn't play when it comes to rodents.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum