Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toll on the New Bay Bridge

+4
Yella
TEOTWAWKI
Hospital Bob
The Viking
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 10:17 am

The lead PNJ article is that the DOT will be making a major announcement for the area... and they're guessing that the 3-Mile Bridge is going to be replaced with a toll bridge.

I hate toll bridges, but at least the people using them are paying for them.

So, are you fer or agin it?

2Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 11:11 am

The Viking

The Viking

Yomama wrote:The lead PNJ article is that the DOT will be making a major announcement for the area... and they're guessing that the 3-Mile Bridge is going to be replaced with a toll bridge.

I hate toll bridges, but at least the people using them are paying for them.

So, are you fer or agin it?

Well...a toll system we had in Houston required a pre-paid pass displayed on your windshield. No toll-takers present, no change accepted. That would damn sure keep traffic flowing, but then again, Houston's a bit bigger than Pensacola. I won't commute to work when I live there, so if I did use a toll bridge, it would probably be for a recreational reason & I wouldn't mind it too bad...

3Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 11:19 am

I think the WASP community of Gulf Breeze will be impacted the most. Many of them commute across the bridge to work in P'cola.

4Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 11:23 am

I'm surprised they didn't put in toll booths on the 3 mile as it is now..

5Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 11:46 am

Lurch wrote:I'm surprised they didn't put in toll booths on the 3 mile as it is now..

They had a $1 toll on the current bridge's two-lane precursor. Implemented in 1931, I believe.

6Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 12:29 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If it was up to me this is where I would locate the new bridge.

Toll on the New Bay Bridge Bridge11

It would require that the connector be built on the edge of the federal land but personally I have no objection to that.
The benefit of it is that it would eliminate the traffic congestion on 98 in Gulf Breeze proper BOTH for the Gulf Breeze residents AND for all the rest of us going to the beach.
And if you put the bridge where it's at now you're still gonna have to spend a fortune to upgrade 98 between the bridge and the beach turnoff. Could do it easier and cheaper on the western edge of that federal property which is just vacant land.

Last edited by Bob on 1/29/2013, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 12:47 pm

Now that Pensacola has rebuilt a portion of the fishing bridge (in the location of the old two-lane bridge), I guess it is time to tear it down and put in a modern 6-lane there.

8Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 12:57 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yes Pensacola needs more bridges......we are such a thriving community.....we got money to burn and give to Politically connected cronies....Don't we need a Ferry system also ? Perhaps a high speed train between Brewton and Navarre......Why not a spaceport for lunar excursions....

9Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 1:44 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Yes Pensacola needs more bridges......we are such a thriving community.....we got money to burn and give to Politically connected cronies....Don't we need a Ferry system also ? Perhaps a high speed train between Brewton and Navarre......Why not a spaceport for lunar excursions....

lol! lol!

on the other hand. GB toll will reduce the riff raff for GB.

10Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 1:46 pm

Chrissy wrote:on the other hand. GB toll will reduce the riff raff for GB.

Chrissy, I'm surprised that Ghandi doesn't live in Gulf Breeze.

11Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 1:55 pm

Yomama wrote:

I dont know where he lives. but if he doesnt maybe thats why he is the way he is. Embarassed

However, I live behind a toll now. My point isnt to be mean. But people simply will not take as many sunday drives over a paid toll. And many people will not move to an area where they have to pay a toll. A toll does keep out a certain group of people. Not specific to any race either. Razz

12Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 2:41 pm

Yella

Yella

Yomama wrote:

Wouldn't Ghandi be the type to live under a bridge?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

13Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 3:01 pm

Since I don't got to Pensacola Beach that often, a toll won't affect me. It won't stop me from going to Flounders on Sundays after church.

I do feel for the teachers that will having to pay that toll 10 months per year though.

14Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 3:06 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:If it was up to me this is where I would locate the new bridge.

It would require that the connector be built on the edge of the federal land but personally I have no objection to that.
The benefit of it is that it would eliminate the traffic congestion on 98 in Gulf Breeze proper BOTH for the Gulf Breeze residents AND for all the rest of us going to the beach.
And if you put the bridge where it's at now you're still gonna have to spend a fortune to upgrade 98 between the bridge and the beach turnoff. Could do it easier and cheaper on the western edge of that federal property which is just vacant land.

The Garcon Point bridge should never have been built....they should have built a bridge where you proposed.

15Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 3:13 pm

Bob wrote:If it was up to me this is where I would locate the new bridge.

Government never makes any sense and that is why they won't do this, but why don't you forward this to the powers that be and see what they say?

16Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 3:28 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Don't Escambia and Santa Rosa have a big payoff coming from BP? I can't think of a better use for those dollars.

17Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 3:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:Don't Escambia and Santa Rosa have a big payoff coming from BP? I can't think of a better use for those dollars.

Wash your mouth out....that money is for "fluff-stuff" not necessities.

18Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 4:28 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:Don't Escambia and Santa Rosa have a big payoff coming from BP? I can't think of a better use for those dollars.

It's actually not enough...only $100-200 million per county, but it's a good start. We already have a bed tax for tourist advertising; we already have a penny sales tax for infrastructure. I don't know why I'm paying for stormwater runoff at Bayou Texar...doesn't appear that anything is being done.

I personally believe the new bridge should connect Pensacola to Pensacola Beach, with two exits to GB, one at each end.

19Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 4:29 pm

Will it be enough to cover the cost?

20Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 5:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

It's actually not enough...only $100-200 million per county, but it's a good start. We already have a bed tax for tourist advertising; we already have a penny sales tax for infrastructure. I don't know why I'm paying for stormwater runoff at Bayou Texar...doesn't appear that anything is being done.

I personally believe the new bridge should connect Pensacola to Pensacola Beach, with two exits to GB, one at each end.

Just watch...it will be like FEMA money. All the GOB will jump for joy with the chance to spend "free-money".

21Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 5:12 pm

"Just watch...it will be like FEMA money. All the GOB will jump for joy with the chance to spend "free-money"."

A/C and a dome for the ballpark...

22Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 5:18 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Lurch wrote:"Just watch...it will be like FEMA money. All the GOB will jump for joy with the chance to spend "free-money"."

A/C and a dome for the ballpark...

That shouldn't increase the hurricane insurance.

23Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 6:02 pm

bizguy

Yomama wrote:I think the WASP community of Gulf Breeze will be impacted the most. Many of them commute across the bridge to work in P'cola.

I think you'll see many folks from Pensacola that commute to GB to work at the fast food places and other minimum wage jobs affected.

24Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 6:38 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bizguy wrote:

I think you'll see many folks from Pensacola that commute to GB to work at the fast food places and other minimum wage jobs affected.
They could help the pain with that if they want to.

The Garcon Point Bridge is associated with the Florida "Sun Pass". But all that does is give regular commuters a 50% discount. And if you travel the bridge every day to work and back that's still expensive as shit.

But in Pinellas County (St. Pete), an annual pass for all three toll "bayways" can be had for $50/year with unlimited toll crossings. Which is affordable for daily commuters.

25Toll on the New Bay Bridge Empty Re: Toll on the New Bay Bridge 1/29/2013, 6:45 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Government never makes any sense and that is why they won't do this, but why don't you forward this to the powers that be and see what they say?
This replacement Bay Bridge proposal got started about 5 years ago when the FDOT first said the bridge was gonna have to be replaced.
At that time I wrote a viewpoint piece for the PNJ outlining the same idea and they published that Viewpoint.
But they don't pay any attention to what private citizens suggest.
With my proposal it will all come down to how much clout those Hgwy 98 merchants in Gulf Breeze have to influence the politicians to keep the existing route for the new bridge. AND whether or not the laws even allow using that National Park land for something like this (and I doubt it).
Things like this are not always determined by what makes sense. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum