Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A fifty mile chase.......was it really necessary

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130126/NEWS01/301260021/High-speed-chase-Navarre-man-covers-50-miles-injures-2-deputies

I guess I thought this was ok after I read the PNJ article. Then I read a pretty persuasive comment left by the PNJ reader which basically raised some pretty important questions why the general public should be at risk over an alleged argument and the person has no criminal history and appears to emotionally charged.....The person complained that when he started crossing lanes and putting families at risk why this chase was not called off. It ended up with a deputy almost losing his life, and the idiot becoming dog food for K-9. What say you on chase policy?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well the dude hurt a cop..he's gonna pay. In Illinois a woman video taped a cop and a meter man installing a smart meter and she was arrested and they are seeking life in prison...cops are very special people they can keep their guns when they retire they are the new royalty law doesn't apply to the nobility...they have been knighted by Feinstine.

2seaoat wrote:http://www.pnj.com/article/20130126/NEWS01/301260021/High-speed-chase-Navarre-man-covers-50-miles-injures-2-deputies

I guess I thought this was ok after I read the PNJ article. Then I read a pretty persuasive comment left by the PNJ reader which basically raised some pretty important questions why the general public should be at risk over an alleged argument and the person has no criminal history and appears to emotionally charged.....The person complained that when he started crossing lanes and putting families at risk why this chase was not called off. It ended up with a deputy almost losing his life, and the idiot becoming dog food for K-9. What say you on chase policy?

Even if the cops call off the chase the perp continues on his reckless driving binge, therefore still putting John Q Public in jeopardy.

What leads you to believe that the general welfare of the general public is of any real concern to the govt?

I simply see the rouse at a justification for control.

2seaoat

Even if the cops call off the chase the perp continues on his reckless driving binge, therefore still putting John Q Public in jeopardy.

When I ran as a kid in a vehicle....sadly it was not the cops.....once I had lost those who were pursuing me, I would become incognito.......sure some would continue to be reckless.....but why if the source of the chase was gone? I really had no problem with this story when I read it, but the comments got me thinking....an argument with your girlfriend....a text message during the chase.....unless this guy had a criminal record of violence and was an immediate threat....like the guy said on the comments...the chase probably should have been broken up......I know they run those commercials about low T.....but these chases often get the testosterone pumping and the brain quits working.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Also you know when you stop the cops are going to beat the snot out of you...Rodney King style...so there is an incentive to run...

2seaoat

In this case they set the k-9 on the guy because he was "resisting"...he was treated for dog bites.......simple answer is do not run.....but when people are temporarily insane with emotion.....how about letting the situation defuse if there is no immediate threat to the public......we simply have become too much like a police state. This guy is going to be spending years in jail, a family could be dead, and a K9 dog is getting the taste of blood.....great....the mailman is going to skip that deputy's house......

Resistance is futile.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

A domestic violence incident following a recent divorce can turn ugly. I'm sure his ex is glad he is in jail. The guy has to be an idiot to run and rack up more serious charges while destroying a Lexus.

Markle

Markle

Joanimaroni wrote:A domestic violence incident following a recent divorce can turn ugly. I'm sure his ex is glad he is in jail. The guy has to be an idiot to run and rack up more serious charges while destroying a Lexus.

Seems that everyone always loves to play the Monday Morning Quarterback.

No one here, from the article, knows what brought about the domestic violence call. Following a recent divorce. It doesn't seem to be that high speed of a chase. They covered fifty miles in nearly an hour.

Since we're all expert Monday Morning Quarterback's here, I wonder what would be the rants here had the perpetrator been let go, got lost, came back the next night and stabbed her or crushed her head against a kitchen counter?

May God Bless our law enforcement officers. They can seldom ever win but EVERYONE is always looking for a way for them to lose.

2seaoat

May God Bless our law enforcement officers. They can seldom ever win but EVERYONE is always looking for a way for them to lose.

Hardly....did you read the article, or the comments.....the man was crossing over into incoming traffic, not once but constantly. Most departments have an automatic rule to shut it off if there is no imminent threat to the officers or the public. Once people are reporting the rabbit going across lanes and endangering the public.....the chase in most departments is mandated to stop. An armed bank robber, a child abduction, or a history of violent crime....different animal....no prior arrests in the state of Florida, a text after he has left ......nope.....and I know you would not want a family killed unnecessarily, but to suggest that there are not viable avoidance routines in Domestic Violence situations is really not allowing the risks to be modulated. You assume that there are no safe places for the lady to go until the perp is apprehended .......the perp if the search was called off would probably just return home figuring as they always do....that they had done nothing wrong. No the person who left the comments on the article had valid points.

The fact is if you hurt one of their own they are going to pursue you until the end of time. It becomes personal. It doesn't really matter if the guy had a record before.Plenty of people go off the wall and kill someone in domestic violence cases that never had a record before. The fact that this guy was so crazed he tried to run over a cop would beget them getting him. I'm glad they did. He may have tried to return to kill her.

2seaoat

He may have tried to return to kill her.

Yes, he could. He also could have peaceably surrendered in the driveway, went before a judge, sentenced to six months of jail, and when released calmly go over and kill the woman. Speculation is easy. It takes no speculation to understand that a perp driving into oncoming traffic is a danger to innocent families. So as policy, will a police department allow a risky chase to continue which results in danger to the public, an officer being injured, and a dog attack, or will they call the chase off as the risks escalate. I am certainly not saying there is a right answer here because none of us know how risky this chase was or what had happened for the lady to call the police.....in the end, it is always a healthy discussion, because the next time it could be a dead officer, a dead family, and all of those risks were in the control of the police department, and any illusion that police action will relieve the risk to the woman down the road....well my daughter spent two years on felony domestic violence....she dealt with nothing but second offenders who came back and hurt people....so that risk is very....very real, but it does not get eliminated by this type of chase....and the societal risks are two fold.....the risks to officers and the general public, and the cost of escalating what probably was a misdemeanor into long jail time........child support probably now not being made, and one more self induced fail in an all to common over reaction chase.

" or what had happened for the lady to call the police...."

Oh... we do know he threatened her and said the police would not stop him. Him driving against traffic is enough for me to know this guy was very dangerous and needed to be stopped.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:May God Bless our law enforcement officers. They can seldom ever win but EVERYONE is always looking for a way for them to lose.

Hardly....did you read the article, or the comments.....the man was crossing over into incoming traffic, not once but constantly. Most departments have an automatic rule to shut it off if there is no imminent threat to the officers or the public. Once people are reporting the rabbit going across lanes and endangering the public.....the chase in most departments is mandated to stop. An armed bank robber, a child abduction, or a history of violent crime....different animal....no prior arrests in the state of Florida, a text after he has left ......nope.....and I know you would not want a family killed unnecessarily, but to suggest that there are not viable avoidance routines in Domestic Violence situations is really not allowing the risks to be modulated. You assume that there are no safe places for the lady to go until the perp is apprehended .......the perp if the search was called off would probably just return home figuring as they always do....that they had done nothing wrong. No the person who left the comments on the article had valid points.

Like I said before: May God Bless our law enforcement officers. They can seldom ever win but EVERYONE is always looking for a way for them to lose.

Even a blank sheet of paper has two sides. We've heard one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum