Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP Jimmy O'Neill. Who, you say?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I used to think the old Buffalo Springfield song, For What It's Worth,

...was an antiwar song and referred to Kent State like CSN's Four Dead in Ohio. But that's not the case.

From an article on BoingBoing: http://boingboing.net/2013/01/22/jimmy-oneill-rip-rememberi.html
Last week, deejay Jimmy O'Neill died at his home in West Hollywood at age 73. O'Neill was a central figure in hippie culture, and he got a pretty raw deal from The Man for his efforts. O'Neill was host of the enormously popular teen music show Shindig!, then used his clout to open a nightclub called Pandora's Box on the Sunset Strip and book his favorite acts. This led to massive throngs of teens and traffic on the strip, and soon the killjoys descended. The city hastily enacted a series of loitering and curfew laws targeting teenagers. The footage in this clip from November 12, 1966 shows what happened next.

In what would become a template for youth resistance, young people gathered at Pandora's Box to defy the 10pm curfew. The riots kept growing, and the panicked L.A. City Council quickly moved to condemn and demolish Pandora's Box, which they ultimately did in 1967. The incident inspired many songs, including Buffalo Springfield's anthem “For What It's Worth," often interpreted as an anti-war song. The young people who witnessed this injustice, including Peter Fonda, Phil Proctor, and Jack Nicholson, came away with renewed resolve to fight even bigger political battes.

Buffalo Springfield is one of my all-time favorite bands... they just don't make 'em like they used to, do they?

Thanks for the re-education regarding For What It's Worth... I'd read that somewhere before, but it has since been erased from my memory banks.

My favorite Buffalo Springfield song is Kind Woman, which an ex-boyfriend of mine used to play for me all the time. We shared a love for all-things Neil Young and Stephen Stills.

A beautiful song... Kind Woman; Buffalo Springfield:

Rest in Peace, Jimmy O'Neill.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum