Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anybody done tuna fishing in the Gulf?

+2
knothead
2seaoat
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

For many years, no one much ate Trigger fish. Do you know why they call them "Trigger fish? They sold cheap. You were lucky to get a dime a pound for them.
Then a chef for the Town and Country Motel on Cervantes(nice place back then) got messed up with a stripper at Traders. He got got drinking and goofing around and lost his job. So he set up a small Kitchen right inside the door at Traders. He sold Fish sandwiches and baked beans. 50 cents I think. At lunch he had people standing in line to buy his stuff. Damn they were really good. But people could not figure out the type of fish he was using. He only lasted a few months but before he left he told his secret. Trigger fish. For us the word was out and trigger commanded a decent price. So says I.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The fish I like to eat, in order of preference:

Scamp

Grouper

Flounder

Mahi-mahi

Seafood I will not eat:

Crab

Shrimp

Lobster

Any shellfish

Why don't you eat shellfish, Z?

Is it a religious thing?

No, not a religious thing. I love fish, absolutely, but don't like any other seafood. I have this old saying: "...If it is a fish, I will eat it, but if it lives in a shell or crawls on the bottom, I won't eat it..." That goes for octopus and squid, too. Calamari and shrimp are good for bait, though, to catch fish with.

I won't eat crawfish, either--though I have tried them.

I like most freshwater fish. I like catfish, perch, and especially red-ear sunfish. I don't care for largemouth bass, though.

I like salmon and trout, but I won't eat salmon that is farmed in Norway, harvested, frozen whole, shipped to China, partially defrosted, cleaned and portioned, re-frozen, and then shipped to America. That farmed salmon is also treated with chemicals to color the meat right (makes it pink so it appears natural).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:No list of best tasting fish worth it's salt leaves pompano off.

I have never eaten pompano, but I would like to try it some day.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PkrBum wrote:No list of best tasting fish worth it's salt leaves pompano off.

I have never eaten pompano, but I would like to try it some day.

If it means anything Pompano is Frank Pattis favorite fish to eat.

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

No, not a religious thing. I love fish, absolutely, but don't like any other seafood. I have this old saying: "...If it is a fish, I will eat it, but if it lives in a shell or crawls on the bottom, I won't eat it..." That goes for octopus and squid, too. Calamari and shrimp are good for bait, though, to catch fish with.

I won't eat crawfish, either--though I have tried them.

I like most freshwater fish. I like catfish, perch, and especially red-ear sunfish. I don't care for largemouth bass, though.

I like salmon and trout, but I won't eat salmon that is farmed in Norway, harvested, frozen whole, shipped to China, partially defrosted, cleaned and portioned, re-frozen, and then shipped to America. That farmed salmon is also treated with chemicals to color the meat right (makes it pink so it appears natural).

I agree with you on the farm raised salmon.

If you have a problem with bottom-dwellers, you might want to rethink the catfish. Nasty scavengers that'll eat damn near anything. I won't touch 'em.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I have fished offshore for red snapper...my personal favorite. Back in Texas, my ex procured a gill net off the bottom of the Gulf...1,000 ft. It was a challenge to get it out there, and sometimes we got nothing, but sometimes...OMG. I've stayed up half the night after fishing all day just cleaning fish...mostly trout and reds. Then left the entrails in a garbage can, which had to be set on fire to kill the maggots. Those were the days.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Oh, and I don't eat sushi, or shashimi either--nothing raw for me. No roe, either. I would likely just use caviar for bait to catch fish on. Oysters? Nope. Mussles/clams?-more fish bait.

My daughter and granddaughter love sushi--but you would never see me dip anything edible into wassabe mustard!

Floridatexan wrote:
I have fished offshore for red snapper...my personal favorite. Back in Texas, my ex procured a gill net off the bottom of the Gulf...1,000 ft. It was a challenge to get it out there, and sometimes we got nothing, but sometimes...OMG. I've stayed up half the night after fishing all day just cleaning fish...mostly trout and reds. Then left the entrails in a garbage can, which had to be set on fire to kill the maggots. Those were the days.

Gill net + School of cat fish=Long day and ruined net.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum