Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Don't Hate On Al Gore for His $30 Million Apple Score

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.forbes.com/sites/igorgreenwald/2013/01/18/dont-hate-on-al-gore-for-his-big-apple-score/

An interesting snippet from the article...

What makes Al Gore talented? Well, the cream of Silicon Valley repeatedly sought his counsel. And Gore didn’t just show up to get paid. By all accounts, he rolled up his sleeves and dove into business strategy the way he used to geek out on the minutiae of public policy.

And guess what? He made his millions fair and square—which is to say as fairly as the next guy. He was brought onto Apple’s board by Steve Jobs—the man who gave Gore the options to buy the stock at its price at the time, the same man who then turned that piffle into a vast fortune.

Gore was there for the run from $7 a share to $700 a share—in fact those options had to be exercised in March by the 10th anniversary of his arrival.

And Jobs loved the guy, was inspired by him. Urged him to run for president long after the political establishment and Gore himself had written off his chances. “We have dug ourselves into a 20-foot hole, and we need somebody who knows how to build a ladder. Al’s the guy,” Jobs told Time magazine in 2007. “Like many others, I have tried my best to convince him.”

Gore didn’t just make the guy who boosted the share price a hundred-fold comfortable. He handled tricky assignments like investigating the backdating of executive options, so Jobs could concentrate on iThings.

And while doing that he found the time to push global warming way up the political agenda, advise Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) and join Kleiner Perkins as a venture capitalist. And, of course, to turn his little cable TV channel into a $100 million payday.

So yeah, Al Gore knows something about capitalism.

You’d think the notion that public servants aren’t good managers would have died the night a certain community organizer from Chicago checkmated a certified business genius from Boston. But no, the conceit is still around. It doesn’t seem to matter that community organizing, and politics in general, is perhaps more of a managerial proving ground than buying out companies and leveraging them out of existence.

Bravo...!!!

There are folk who still believe he said he "invented the internet". He never said that, but he sure helped jump-start what we know of as the WWW. I was using a portion of it on a daily basis in '79. It was a military application.

Good for Mr. Gore.

Why do neo-cons resent liberals who succeed w/out victimizing people in the process...and cheer for the Gordon Geckos...?

Margin Call

Margin Call

AAPL reports earnings next Thursday. I know I'd be glued to the screen if I had 60,000 shares! Even us pikers will we watching. Long Feb 13 550 calls @ $6.75.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Ouch.

Don't Hate On Al Gore for His $30 Million Apple Score Captur16

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:Ouch.

Don't Hate On Al Gore for His $30 Million Apple Score Captur16

I've been long BRCM for a few weeks now. It's not fairing well as a result of the AAPL earnings.

Margin Call

Margin Call

AAPL: A growing company that made $13.8Billion in profit in 3 months and has $137Billion in cash is getting crushed....and they say the passion for money is never fickle.

Oh well, I doubt Al Gore even flinched.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum