Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NRA news conference

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1NRA news conference Empty NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 2:46 pm

2seaoat

Let me preface my remarks by saying the NRA was an important part of my early life. My father was an avid sportsman and hunter and belonged to two gun clubs where as a family we would target shoot each weekend. I became quite proficient and when I was in scouting I competed in NRA sponsored competition and went through their training and guidance. They helped me understand gun safety and they were very supportive of the same.

Somewhere from then to today, the lobbyist role and the dollar and cents have caused this organization to stray from its simple and straightforward support for sportsmen and hunters into a shill for manufacturing and special interests who profit on guns. That element was always present, but the stench of the same was too overpowering for me this morning to even feign anything than utter contempt for the NRA.

First, I agree that the OPTION should be given to every school in America to allow one of the EXISTING staff to be trained in school security and a locked and stored weapon should be available in every school in America. I do not want armed police officers in schools, and I do not want armed teachers. I do believe the threat of an armed response by a trained person in a school environment does provide deterrence. However, we are bankrupt because our answer for the last 30 years is to add more armed police, and to what policy end? Are we more secure? Is every boy scout, church, soccer game, and preschool going to have an armed on duty policeman? Insanity

Second, I found the timing and political content of the NRA response repulsive. Simply repulsive. A citizen of Britain has 30 times less chance of being involved in a gun crime than an American. In Japan even less. Yet, those countries helped develop violent video games, and their children watch the same.....and there is not the carnage. In Australia in the 1990s after repeated mass killings with assault weapons.....they simply banned them all.....no exceptions, and nobody got to keep them....period. 15 years and basically there has not been a mass killing. Of course the eloquent NRA CEO blamed the media for creating copycat killers.....like the media should not have broadcast the news.....like we should censor the 1st amendment right of citizens to hear the news, so that this perverted interpretation of the 2nd amendment can bring more profits to gun manufactures and 1 million dollar a day sales can be pocketed. You bet the NRA is going to stand up and say.....the only way to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun....... I think another saying might work today.....the only way to stop a bad person with a gun is for good people to improve gun safety and make it more difficult for bad people to do bad things....without taking folks guns.

There is sane middle ground. The far left is attacking having trained and qualified staff in schools who can go to the gun locker and retrieve a gun. As much as the current NRA sickens me, this is sound policy. It is not sound policy spending more taxpayer dollars to create an armed state where the NRA profits and America goes bankrupt. A stipend and increased pay for those school personnel who want to take the training would work. My wife would get extra pay for bus duty. This was where a teacher after school would stand and watch the children until all students had left the school. She would spend an extra half hour after the school day and she was compensated. We could easily have safety duty, and pay teachers during their training in the summer, and then give them a stipend on their designated days. Those on call or duty would rotate among volunteer teachers who wanted to take the courses and become qualified. Not every school would need to have a qualified safety person, rather the deterrence works by the knowledge that there may be multiple trained individuals in every school in America who have access to weapons and can respond.

So before we just condemn the idea of an armed response in schools......let us simply add it to the conversation, and I say that totally disgusted with what the NRA has become.

2NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 2:48 pm

Sal

Sal

When it comes to concern for the safety and well-being of America's children, the NRA has about as much credibility as NAMBLA.

3NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 2:58 pm

2seaoat

When it comes to concern for the safety and well-being of America's children, the NRA has about as much credibility as NAMBLA.

Agreed......what they have become disgusts me.....but, if deterrence of mass shootings in school environments is a legitimate goal, then I think the discussion of voluntary training and locked gun storage lockers must be part of the discussion of Gun safety.

The NRA makes many valid points when sportsman and hunters are actively involved in the organization, but their collective voices have been drowned in the money from manufacturers who profit on guns, and who with their proposal have a great business plan to expand their profitability with this idea of hiring more armed police and having the taxpayers pay for the same.

The liquor industry has stopped ignition interlocks for now. They have made dram shop limits almost a joke, but yet their lobby effectively has bought legislators like the gun lobby. We need to have the moral strength to address vehicle and gun safety despite these purveyors of death's self serving profit motives. We need responsible sportsmen to get involved and put pressure on these purveyors of death. We need impaired drivers not to be able to drive in America.........but the lobbyist and folks like MADD will increase our criminal justice budget by 500% and guns and alcohol still are killing our children.........there are real solutions.

4NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 3:25 pm

Sal wrote:When it comes to concern for the safety and well-being of America's children, the NRA has about as much credibility as NAMBLA.

Quite a reach. NRA represents law abiding citizens and the other organization, well I am sure you are probably very familiar with your proclivities.

5NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 4:37 pm

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:NRA represents law abiding citizens

Nope.

They quit that gig many years ago.

Now, they represent gun manufacturers and their interests.

6NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 6:50 pm

Sal wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:NRA represents law abiding citizens

Nope.

They quit that gig many years ago.

Now, they represent gun manufacturers and their interests.

....and as usual, like WTM, you are FOS.

7NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 7:22 pm

Why can't we be armed in your safe zone? Seems like a dangerous place.

8NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 7:34 pm

PkrBum wrote:Why can't we be armed in your safe zone? Seems like a dangerous place.

Hell yeah, the safe zone sounds like the DMZ on Korea.

9NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 8:20 pm

no stress

no stress

2seaoat wrote:When it comes to concern for the safety and well-being of America's children, the NRA has about as much credibility as NAMBLA.

Agreed......what they have become disgusts me.....but, if deterrence of mass shootings in school environments is a legitimate goal, then I think the discussion of voluntary training and locked gun storage lockers must be part of the discussion of Gun safety.

The NRA makes many valid points when sportsman and hunters are actively involved in the organization, but their collective voices have been drowned in the money from manufacturers who profit on guns, and who with their proposal have a great business plan to expand their profitability with this idea of hiring more armed police and having the taxpayers pay for the same.

The liquor industry has stopped ignition interlocks for now. They have made dram shop limits almost a joke, but yet their lobby effectively has bought legislators like the gun lobby. We need to have the moral strength to address vehicle and gun safety despite these purveyors of death's self serving profit motives. We need responsible sportsmen to get involved and put pressure on these purveyors of death. We need impaired drivers not to be able to drive in America.........but the lobbyist and folks like MADD will increase our criminal justice budget by 500% and guns and alcohol still are killing our children.........there are real solutions.

Seaoat, you seem to believe that having law abiding citizens freedoms encroached on is the only solution to gun crime. I'm gonna suggest to you that you may have tunnel vision on the issue and you should think outside the box. After 9-11 we all gave up some of our rights and I think we are at our limits on giving up rights.

10NRA news conference Empty today game over 12/21/2012, 9:16 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Today ended the NRA as a viable political action group,

or any role whatsoever as a credible proponent of second
amendment rights.

You can argue on this board all you want but that is the simple
truth from an independent's view.

Game over save your donations the NRA is over. It is now seen
as a splinter radical group out of touch with reality. The speech
by its president was an embarrassment on every level you could
possibly embarrass yourself.

11NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 10:38 pm

no stress

no stress

surfnrg wrote:Today ended the NRA as a viable political action group,

amendment rights.

Are you done? LOL

12NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/21/2012, 11:06 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

William Burroughs: "After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it."

13NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 12:45 am

2seaoat

William Burroughs: "After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it."

I am sure the mother of the shooter agreed completely with that conclusion.

14NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 12:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

15NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 12:49 pm

surfnrg wrote:Today ended the NRA as a viable political action group,

amendment rights.

I am not a fan of the NRA and am a 2nd Amendment proponent, but I do not think that you should be counting the NRA down and out just yet. They are a very powerful lobby with tons of money.

16NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 12:58 pm

2seaoat

Anybody who saw that press conference is going to vote just the opposite of what the NRA suggests. I am a former member, was active in their programs as a child, and do not recognize the organization today. It is a force of evil, and not a force to support gun owners and sportsmen. It is simply a money grubbing shill for manufacturers who want to make a buck. I believe in my freedom to drink alcohol, but I understand that the sale of alcohol must be restricted, and that it does cause harm. Prohibition did not work, and prohibition on guns would not work for constitutional and personal choices people would make......however reasonable regulations which are constantly fought by the NRA no longer makes this organization relevant in my opinion.

When they take the lead in gun safety again....they will have my respect and support, but as shills for every weapon somebody can make a buck off.....they are vermin.

17NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 1:22 pm

no stress

no stress

here again, you are demonizing those that make guns and a pro gun organization. Gun manufactures make an item, crazy criminal Americans use said item in crimes and somehow it is the gun makers fault. Incredible

18NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 1:53 pm

2seaoat wrote:Anybody who saw that press conference is going to vote just the opposite of what the NRA suggests. I am a former member, was active in their programs as a child, and do not recognize the organization today. It is a force of evil, and not a force to support gun owners and sportsmen. It is simply a money grubbing shill for manufacturers who want to make a buck. I believe in my freedom to drink alcohol, but I understand that the sale of alcohol must be restricted, and that it does cause harm. Prohibition did not work, and prohibition on guns would not work for constitutional and personal choices people would make......however reasonable regulations which are constantly fought by the NRA no longer makes this organization relevant in my opinion.

When they take the lead in gun safety again....they will have my respect and support, but as shills for every weapon somebody can make a buck off.....they are vermin.

Do you want to ban matches as well? Arson exists moreso than gun violence.

19NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 1:55 pm

no stress

no stress

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Anybody who saw that press conference is going to vote just the opposite of what the NRA suggests. I am a former member, was active in their programs as a child, and do not recognize the organization today. It is a force of evil, and not a force to support gun owners and sportsmen. It is simply a money grubbing shill for manufacturers who want to make a buck. I believe in my freedom to drink alcohol, but I understand that the sale of alcohol must be restricted, and that it does cause harm. Prohibition did not work, and prohibition on guns would not work for constitutional and personal choices people would make......however reasonable regulations which are constantly fought by the NRA no longer makes this organization relevant in my opinion.

Do you want to ban matches as well? Arson exists moreso than gun violence.

That would make my job easier

20NRA news conference Empty Re: NRA news conference 12/22/2012, 2:02 pm

Sal

Sal

When the NRA speaks, it is speaking to a very specific audience ...

"Seig Heil!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum