Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bowden: Building would spoil the bayfront(LOL No Joke)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

For the past few years all we have heard is how great Studers Stadium will be and how big of a financial boom it will be for the City. Of course much of the financial income will appear to have to come from the 7 building sites next to Stooderville.
Now we have this BS from the PNJ. Duh!!!!
Get out the KY. Looks like Studer needs another go at us.

Since the 1960s, I’ve pushed Pensacola’s bayfront human-scale redevelopment, seeing an unused economic and cultural public asset bask in Florida’s sun, drenched in myth and misplaced nostalgia for pine-forest revival.

So far, no high towers warehouse plush apartments where dwellers stand and empty martini glassware as shadows streak toward Gulf Breeze. No wall-to-wall building clutter forbids the public from Pensacola Bay’s serene natural beauty.

Pensacola’s bayfront — from Bruce Beach to the Pensacola Bay Bridge — has for 50 years and more remained the hidden magnet for continued inner-city revitalization with modest success. Bayfront Parkway, or cross-city speedway originally mapped along Main Street to Barrancas Avenue, curtailed overbuilding fears yet the limited access artery fit the idea of human-scale atmospherics near water’s edge.

Fortunately bayfront building heights within the Seville Square Historic District are limited to 35 feet, increasing in upland acreage. Given the flood-prone landscape, and our fears rejuvenated when storms are near, the remaining bayfront should be left open for wide-spread public use. No need further walling off scenic vistas.

The Bayfront Auditorium demolition opened a vista with sunset popularity of Tristan de Luna Plaza; we ejected the Main Street residency of “Old Smelly,” the wastewater treatment plant, opening 19 public acres that could be a more aesthetic location for Quint Studer’s proposed four- or five-story office building, rather than jammed up next to the Blue Wahoos baseball stadium, blocking the wonderful aesthetic realignment of the Main Street frontage.

Despite agonies of building the misnamed Community Maritime Park, another of our endless bayfront squabbles, the attractive Blue Wahoos baseball stadium and bayfront amphitheater now provide a true valued aesthetic with the bridge entrance and landscaped Main Street, despite the annoying, and out-of-place palm trees.

Rarely have Pensacolians rallied with high spirits as they cheered the award-winning stadium and Double-A baseball’s charter season. The first-year excitement further buried the long past dreams of the overly ambitious Florida State Maritime Museum, cruise ship piers, major hotel, a multicultural museum and a ring of privately financed shops and restaurants on the 27½-acre, onetime petroleum depot, the last open expanse.

With the first private investment are we beginning the building crowdedness that too often blocks access to water’s edge?

Studer’s kept promise of a $12 million office complex far outshines the many missteps in public financing. But his location as the future headquarters for The Studer Group will block the view from Main street. Surely even Quint Studer, who graciously puts his money where Pensacolians in this fresh new era need to grow and prosper, would agree that better siting within the park or across Main Street that would equally serve his major business enterprises and required parking space.

Out of old feuds and misadventures Studer and other visionaries have helped created another popular place along the bayfront. Build across Main Street; let all enjoy the open pleasantries of a natural and historic bayfront.

Bluebonnet

This stupid office building has been the biggest thorn in my side over this project.

I guess Lamar and the developer will duke it out over where to place the massive blinding LED signs to be installed. Will it be Quint's office or Rishy's Olyve Oil signs win the day?

I have been against any private structure being built at the CMP property. Now that we have a baseball stadium, we need to make best use of it.

I don't want any OTHER structures being built at the CMP... unless they're picnic shelters, bathrooms, boat docks and stuff that might enhance public access and quality of life for public usage.

That property was purchased by the City of Pensacola for public use as a park. I view private residences and offices as abominations on publicly-owned waterfront property.

We got plundered and screwed by Russenberger at the foot of Palafox Street. (http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Ray_Russenberger) It seems that the City of Pensacola goes out of it's way to enrich a few connected individuals.

Yella

Yella

Money will win this battle. Bribery will get the permits to build a monstrosity here and probably a high rise hotel next door. The goal will be to build a replica of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Yomama wrote:I have been against any private structure being built at the CMP property. Now that we have a baseball stadium, we need to make best use of it.

I don't want any OTHER structures being built at the CMP... unless they're picnic shelters, bathrooms, boat docks and stuff that might enhance public access and quality of life for public usage.

That property was purchased by the City of Pensacola for public use as a park. I view private residences and offices as abominations on publicly-owned waterfront property.

We got plundered and screwed by Russenberger at the foot of Palafox Street. (http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Ray_Russenberger) It seems that the City of Pensacola goes out of it's way to enrich a few connected individuals.

You don't want the office buildings and private condo's that were part of the secondary phase? You also must remember it was stated, boat docks would be private use only for residents and office owners.

We got plundered and screwed by Russenberger at the foot of Palafox Street. (http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Ray_Russenberger) It seems that the City of Pensacola goes out of it's way to enrich a few connected individuals. Good Post.........

It will only get worse for the public.. Just remember the deal with Port Poyal.
The only good thing is that they are almost out of stuff to steal. I am not sure what it is but I expect big news very soon about some new "improvement"

The Bayfront Auditorium demolition opened a vista with sunset popularity of Tristan de Luna Plaza; we ejected the Main Street residency of “Old Smelly,” the wastewater treatment plant, opening 19 public acres that could be a more aesthetic location for Quint Studer’s proposed four- or five-story office building, rather than jammed up next to the Blue Wahoos baseball stadium, blocking the wonderful aesthetic realignment of the Main Street frontage.

I dont understand any of this. Maybe Earl is off his meds?

hallmarkgrad wrote:The Bayfront Auditorium demolition opened a vista with sunset popularity of Tristan de Luna Plaza; we ejected the Main Street residency of “Old Smelly,” the wastewater treatment plant, opening 19 public acres that could be a more aesthetic location for Quint Studer’s proposed four- or five-story office building, rather than jammed up next to the Blue Wahoos baseball stadium, blocking the wonderful aesthetic realignment of the Main Street frontage.

I dont understand any of this. Maybe Earl is off his meds?

Earl is saying that it would be a better idea for Studer to build his office at the old wastewater plant, rather than block the view of the stadium and waterfront with a mid or high-rise at the CMP. At least that's what I interpreted it to say.

Isnt it a little late to be thinking about that? The old shoot plant would have been the perfect place for the Ball Park or they could have made Stooderville out of glass. Like I said before, there maybe a major issue that we do not know about. Something is in the wind.

It is all Bull shit. Why did they even do this if they were not going to build ?.

Studer Negotiations
Blue Wahoos owner Quint Studer met with officials from the city of Pensacola and the Community Maritime Park Association this morning in an attempt to hammer out a lease for a parcel of property located at the Maritime Park.

“We’re close,” said CMPA Chairman Collier Merrill at the end of the meeting.

Studer is attempting to lease a parcel of land at the park in order to construct a $12 million office complex. After initial talks with Mayor Ashton Hayward’s office were unsuccessful, it was announced that the CMPA would act as an agent of the city in the negotiations with Studer; both Merrill and Studer today referred to the arrangement as “unusual.”

Before today’s meeting, Studer and the city were unable to agree on the length of the lease, as well as the annual rate that would be paid. Hayward was pushing for a shorter lease with the annual fee based on a higher percentage of the property’s appraised value, and Studer preferred a longer lease and a lower percentage.

“We’ll come up with some terms that I think everybody can live with and go forward from there,” Merrill said this morning.

Negotiations are usually held behind closed doors, but today’s meeting was held in public because the Pensacola City Council triggered the Sunshine law when it decided to put Councilman Larry Johnson (also a CMPA member) at the table. While Hayward was not present during today’s meeting—he’s apparently in New York, speaking with media outlets—the mayor did relay his thoughts via text messages to Merrill and Studer.

“His response is ‘I’m so excited about this deal, we need this deal,’” Andrew Rothfeder, a Studer representative, read from the mayor’s text message.

What Hayward is not excited about is Studer’s proposal to increase the annual lease rate by five percent every five years. The mayor apparently wants an increase of two to three percent each year. That issue was left undecided this morning.

Terms that were agreed upon included a lease length of 55 years and an annual fee amounting to 7.25 percent of the property’s appraised value. Another negotiation meeting was scheduled for next week to hammer out specifics on the adjustment rate and the amount of CAM (Common Area Maintenance) fees Studer should pay.

Another factor still undecided is the exact size of the parcel of land, and thus its appraised value—the property’s size likely falls somewhere between 69,000 and 80,000 square feet, and it’s value between $1.4 and $1.6 million. Those factors will impact the lease fee number, but the parties agreed to a minimum of $20 per square foot.

Councilman Johnson said this morning that he was anxious to reach an agreement, pointing out that the development would be good for the city’s and the CRA’s tax revenue. He also said the process needed to move quickly to meet a September deadline laid out in an earlier agreement with Studer.

“I’m ready to see some ground pushed around across the street,” Johnson said.

Councilwoman Sherri Myers—who is also the newest council appointee to the CMPA, replacing Councilman Brian Spencer—noted that the terms of the lease did not require the mayor’s approval. She said that it was up to city council to eventually approve the terms.

“It kind of concerns me to hear you say you have to run something by the mayor,” Myers told Merrill.

Merrill replied that he wished the “CMPA wasn’t in this negotiation” and that the “only reason the mayor’s involved” was because Studer had earlier stated that he sought Hayward’s approval.

“I think the mayor has a responsibility for economic development,” Studer said today. “So, you certainly want a project that the mayor supports.”

Merrill noted that Studer also wanted the mayor’s approval because the city would be involved in various aspects pertaining to the property in the future. Moving ahead without Hayward’s nod, he said, could make logistics difficult for Studer down the road.

“It’s not a box he wants to be in,” Merrill said.

The involved parties will meet again Aug. 7 to work out the remaining details of the lease. That negotiation meeting will be held at 9 a.m. at Pensacola City Hall.

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Isnt it a little late to be thinking about that? The old shoot plant would have been the perfect place for the Ball Park or they could have made Stooderville out of glass. Like I said before, there maybe a major issue that we do not know about. Something is in the wind.

What is in the wind is the smell of a rat.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Yella wrote:
hallmarkgrad wrote:Isnt it a little late to be thinking about that? The old shoot plant would have been the perfect place for the Ball Park or they could have made Stooderville out of glass. Like I said before, there maybe a major issue that we do not know about. Something is in the wind.

What is in the wind is the smell of a rat.

Bowden: Building would spoil the bayfront(LOL No Joke) Flash-as-a-rat-with-a-gold_thumb1.thumbnail

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum