Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LionFish invasion. Perdido Pass

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1LionFish  invasion.  Perdido Pass Empty LionFish invasion. Perdido Pass 12/11/2012, 11:59 pm

LionFish  invasion.  Perdido Pass 11976784-large

The lionfish invasion continues.
From AL.com
I shot a small lionfish Saturday afternoon during a scuba dive along the jetties at Perdido Pass in Orange Beach.

State biologists said it was the first confirmed sighting they knew of in shallow water along the Alabama Coast.

The lionfish was holding against a large boulder in about 14 feet of water. Since their arrival in the Gulf about two years ago, the fish have become increasingly common along the reefs and wrecks five to 15 miles offshore. Scientists said it was only a matter of time before they showed up near shore.

I've seen lionfish on every dive I've made since August. In once case, I found five living on the wreck of a small tug boat in about 60 feet of water. I also found one living amongst the roots of one of the trees in the underwater cypress forest off Fort Morgan.

Bob Shipp, head of marine sciences at the University of South Alabama, said the discovery of a lionfish so close to shore signals a new and worrisome development in the spread of the species.

"Wow. I think this is just the beginning. I suspect within the next decade red lionfish will be as plentiful on our jetties and nearshore hard bottom as our native scorpionfishes or seabasses," Shipp said. "But of course, they will be much more evident because of the gaudy regalia. Our local chefs need to gin up some tasty lionfish entrees, and our local fishmongers need to become adept at handling those venomous spines."

Lionfish are native to the Pacific Ocean. They were discovered in deepwater along the North Carolina coast around 2002. Over the last decade, the creatures have spread throughout the Caribbean and the Florida Keys.

This large lionfish, about a foot long, was found nestled in the roots of an ancient cypress tree off the Alabama coast. Since their arrival two years ago, lionfish have spread quickly. I saw lionfish on every dive made between August and December this year. (Ben Raines/braines@al.com)
Ben Raines | braines@al.com

"We have no way of knowing what kind of impact they may have at this point. They don't have any natural predators that we know of," said Karon Aplin, a biologist with the Alabama Division of Marine Resources. In the Caribbean, lionfish are believed to have reduced some native fish populations by 50 to 75 percent on coral reefs.

"They eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Fish, shrimp, whatever. They're eating machines. They hang out around their structure and they eat. That's the majority of their activity," Aplin said. "They are tasty. They've got a nice, fine white meat."

I cooked one over the summer. It was delicious. But, cleaning a lionfish is a little trickier than cleaning most fish. A jab from the venomous spines can mean a trip to the hospital. Watch the video here for a primer on how to clean one.

The arrival of the creatures in shallow water means swimmers should be on the lookout. Lionfish are almost always found close to structure, so be careful around piers, rocks, or sunken wrecks.

"I have gotten reports of lionfish that turned out to be sea robins or other species. Watch out for that identity crisis," Aplin said, referring to a few native species that have long fins.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A fish that looks and acts like a lion in Alabama. And this comes on the heels of the thread yesterday which reveals that humans and chimps (humanzees) are being crossbred in Georgia.
There's not a day goes by anymore that I don't wake up to another sign of the apocalypse and we seem to be at ground zero for it. I'm starting to get a little creeped out.

Damn it!!!! Just a matter of time......
LionFish  invasion.  Perdido Pass Human-ape-kiss

Bluebonnet

This is a perfect example of why waterfront aquariums are a horrible idea:

In 1992, Hurricane Andrew smashed an aquarium tank in Florida. About a half-dozen spiny, venomous lionfish washed into the Atlantic Ocean, spawning an invasion that could kill off local industry along with the native fish.

by 2007 the entire area had been overtaken...most reef fish gone...

Markle

Markle

Soleil wrote:This is a perfect example of why waterfront aquariums are a horrible idea:

In 1992, Hurricane Andrew smashed an aquarium tank in Florida. About a half-dozen spiny, venomous lionfish washed into the Atlantic Ocean, spawning an invasion that could kill off local industry along with the native fish.

by 2007 the entire area had been overtaken...most reef fish gone...

A half dozen Lion-fish would not have done this much damage or expand over such a wide area. They are a beautiful fish but when I took care of them for the MiamiSeaquarium and had them at home they required live food. High maintenance. I had several small pools in the back yard where I raised fish to feed them. They were also very expensive.

Like the snakes now in the Everglades, they get big and they're difficult to sell at that size. So, instead of killing them, they take them to the waters edge and drop them in. They do eat anything and, that I know of, no natural predators here in the Atlantic and Gulf. Their poisonous spines also deter predators and man.

Holy shit!! Markle is right you can buy all kinds of the damn things. Wo....w.http://www.thepetstop.com/fish-shop/lion-fish-for-sale.html
LionFish  invasion.  Perdido Pass Antennata

Buy Here!
antennata lion pterois antennata small fob-5 next day shipping
$29.99
antennata lion pterois antennata small fob-5 next [Read more]

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Lionfish really are beautiful. Back in the days when I was doing stained glass, I planned on doing a panel that featured a lionfish. The pattern was so intricate. I still have that pattern filed away somewhere, but I haven't had the time or energy to devote to stained glass work in years.

Now Markle, if only you weren't a Republican, I could probably come to like you. You fed lionfish at the MiamiSeaquarium and had fish ponds in your back yard??? Cool.... Very Happy

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle, if you'd try taking a toke or two that fish would look even purtier. And I guarantee you it would taste better. lol

Bluebonnet

Markle wrote:
A half dozen Lion-fish would not have done this much damage or expand over such a wide area.

Hixon for one disagrees:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111695369

He describes the explosive population increase.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum