Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HISTORY! - McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

All Mitch wanted was to try to divide the Democrats and put some of them on the record as having supported something potentially troublesome for their reelection prospects.

He didn't want to be humiliated in front of everybody instead.

So, McConnell filibustered himself. He wouldn't allow a vote on the bill he said should be voted on.

Nah ... we don't need filibuster reform.

ROTFLMAO!!

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) wanted to prove on Thursday that Democrats don’t have the votes to weaken Congress’ authority on the debt limit. Instead they called his bluff, and he ended up filibustering his own bill.

The legislation, modeled on a proposal McConnell offered last year as a “last-choice option” to avert a U.S. debt default, would permit the president to unilaterally lift the debt ceiling unless Congress mustered a two-thirds majority to stop him.

McConnell brought up the legislation Thursday morning. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) initially objected, seemingly proving the Republican leader’s point that it cannot pass the Senate. But then Reid ran it by his members and, in the afternoon, agreed to hold that same vote. This time it was McConnell who objected.

“The Republican leader objects to his own idea,” Reid declared on the floor. “So I guess we have a filibuster of his own bill.”

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/12/mcconnell-filibusters-his-own-bill-to-lift-debt-limit.php

He wouldn't agree to a simple majority vote... do you want the potus to have the ability to spend at will?

2seaoat

He wouldn't agree to a simple majority vote... do you want the potus to have the ability to spend at will?

Damn.....I understood that Stormy was having difficulty with the concept of the debt limit approval being different than actually passing bills which increase spending.....but damn I certainly did not expect you to fall into that conceptual trap.......you are playing....are you not?

I was simplifying... but not playing. Increasing the debt limit is not designed to be a rubber stamp.

At this point I don't trust the govt as whole to make responsible decisions... much less the potus alone.

That goes for a president from either party.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:He wouldn't agree to a simple majority vote... do you want the potus to have the ability to spend at will?

I'll spell it out a little more specifically for you.

McConnell believed that there were Democrats in the Senate, particularly some from red states who will be facing the voters in just two short years, who would refuse to vote for the president's reform of how the debt ceiling is handled. So, he called for a vote.

Harry Reid agreed to the vote, but only if it was a true majority vote. He would need 50 votes out of his 53 members, and Vice-President Biden could break the tie.

McConnell, realizing that perhaps he had miscalculated the level of disgust and contempt the Democrats have for how the whole Debt Ceiling Fiasco went down, insisted that the vote be held at the 60-vote supermajority threshold.

But 60-vote thresholds are for overcoming filibusters. Was McConnell going to object to his own proposal being debated? Was he going to deny a vote on his own proposal?

Well, yes, he was going to do that.

So, McConnell filibustered himself. He wouldn't allow a vote on the bill he said should be voted on.

Harry Reid is from Nevada. They know a little something there about calling people's bluffs and making them show their cards. He just ate McConnell's lunch and drank his milkshake.

Does anyone want to argue that McConnell isn't taking his abuse of the filibuster to a preposterous extreme?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

All these trials and tribulations are self inflicted. Paybacks are a bitch but this is more like Karma. What goes around comes around.

After all the tricky scheming and lying about voter fraud, their attempts at voter suppression, etc. in my opinion they deserve any hard knocks that come their way.

Now with this internal fight between the right and the very far right within the GOP some want to go even farther toward the right. I say bless that idea!! If they are so blind they can't understand what the voters are saying then extinction is at hand. They will have to reconstitute the party under a new leadership a few years or hopefully decades from now.

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:All these trials and tribulations are self inflicted. Paybacks are a bitch but this is more like Karma. What goes around comes around.

After all the tricky scheming and lying about voter fraud, their attempts at voter suppression, etc. in my opinion they deserve any hard knocks that come their way.

Now with this internal fight between the right and the very far right within the GOP some want to go even farther toward the right. I say bless that idea!! If they are so blind they can't understand what the voters are saying then extinction is at hand. They will have to reconstitute the party under a new leadership a few years or hopefully decades from now.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Is anyone really under the impression that this debt limit discussions has much consequence? You could give debt limit authority to Joe the Plumber and Congress will remain the body that generates appropriations.

polecat

polecat

Remember how much hell the republicans raised when "W" raised the debt ceiling again and again and again and again... oh wait NEVERMIND!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum