Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche?

+5
Nekochan
NaNook
Margin Call
2seaoat
boards of FL
9 posters

Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche?

Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche? I_vote_lcap81%Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche? I_vote_rcap 81% [ 13 ]
Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche? I_vote_lcap19%Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche? I_vote_rcap 19% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/papa-johns-obamacare-ians-pizza_n_2133050.html

Is Papa Johns CEO John Schnatter a douche? R-PAPA-JOHNS-OBAMACARE-large570

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter’s recent statement that the Affordable Care Act will force the pizza chain to raise prices came as good news to Nick Martin.

Martin, a part owner of Ian’s Pizza, a pizza shop with four locations in Wisconsin, said his business has offered full heath care coverage to its 50 full-time employees for years, making it all the more difficult to compete with national chains like Papa John's that pay workers low wages without health benefits.

"This may level the playing field for us,” Martin said of the Papa John's price hike. “If they have to pay for benefits, and that pushes their prices up closer to ours, it will justify what we’ve been paying for and what we’ve been fighting to do the past few years.” (Ian's knows a bit about fighting, having fed demonstrators free slices during last year's protests in Madison.)

Like many of the 60 percent of small businesses that pay employees health benefits, Ian's Pizza has struggled to compete with national chains that enter local markets and undercut existing prices. But Obamacare may give local businesses some breathing room as national chains lose the advantage they once wielded through not providing health insurance, according to Jonathan Gruber, a professor of economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Obamacare mandates that businesses with more than 50 workers offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30. “Evidence suggests that when health insurance costs go up, worker wages fall, rather than prices going up,” Gruber said. “If firms are forced to give their workers health insurance, they generally react by paying workers less in wages; they don’t raise the price of goods."

However, in the case of Papa John's, a portion of its employees are already paid at minimum wage, Gruber pointed out. "So you can’t reduce wages for those employees, and the firm may have to increase prices a little bit,” he said.

But Gruber emphasized that such price hikes will likely be small, meaning local business owners shouldn’t expect their prices to become that much more competitive compared to the big guys.

"A lot of what drives statements like those of Papa John’s CEO are politics, not economics," Gruber said.

Schnatter, a Romney supporter who held a fundraiser for the former Republican nominee, said in August that Obamacare would cost the company between 11 and 14 cents per pizza. Subsequent analysis by Caleb Melby of Forbes found that the price increase would actually be closer 3.4 to 3.6 cents per pie.

“It’s not going to have much of an effect on the gap in prices between Papa John's and smaller competitors,” Gruber said. “That gap is much more about the efficiencies that come from being a large operator, being able to buy in bulk and things like that.”

Still, small business owners who already offer employees health insurance reported feeling a sense of vindication upon hearing that large restaurant chains are now being forced to consider a cost that they’ve shouldered for years.

“I’d tell Papa John's' CEO, ‘Welcome to the club,’” Martin said. “We’ve battled the whole way giving health insurance to employees ever since we could afford to do it 9 years ago, as a two-year-old business.”

2seaoat

In the end, his Pizza is simply pedestrian. If he had a product worthy....I could care less about his politics.....but when you combine bad politics with really bad pizza...well you get Papa Johns. I would not feed my dog a Papa Johns Pizza, but I must admit it has been eight years since I tried one, and I have never gone back.

Margin Call

Margin Call

2seaoat wrote:In the end, his Pizza is simply pedestrian. If he had a product worthy....I could care less about his politics.....but when you combine bad politics with really bad pizza...well you get Papa Johns. I would not feed my dog a Papa Johns Pizza, but I must admit it has been eight years since I tried one, and I have never gone back.

Precisely. Shitty pizza reduces his bottom line more than Obamacare ever will.

NaNook

NaNook

PJ's competes against other national pizza chains and frozen pizzas. One can't compare a national chain pizza vs a local craft pizza. The reason I pay $20+ for a single pizza is for the taste. The independent pizza producer competes against other independent pizza producers.

Does anyone really think a pizza from PJ's costing 10-20 cents more will influence pizza buying habits? I doubt it. The real problem is supporting local independent businesses, not demeaning national chains. What's next, condemning your local grocery store for selling frozen pizzas?

At least Jerry's sells a good cheap cheeze-burger and beer. Twisted Evil

I vote that he is a douche, but I can guarantee that I will continue to consume hos pizza. As far as I am concerned they are the best as delivery pizza goes. Pizza Hut and Domino's cannot hold a candle to Papa John's.

Nekochan

Nekochan

The best pizza chain here in Huntsville is Marco's. Do y'all have a Marco's in Pensacola yet?

2seaoat

I vote that he is a douche, but I can guarantee that I will continue to consume hos pizza. As far as I am concerned they are the best as delivery pizza goes. Pizza Hut and Domino's cannot hold a candle to Papa John's.

An immediate forum intervention is required. Sadly, as I make my monthly trip to get my monthly shot, I will stop at Geno's East which is in the shadow of Northwestern Hospital and which along with about 10 other world famous Chicago Pizza places made Chicago the Pizza capital of the world. When I worked with the Borg Warner corporation located in Chicago in the late 70s I acquired a taste for Chicago pizza. Papa Johns, Dominos, and to a lesser extent Pizza Hut are like eating cardboard. Starvation would pose a good alternative to regularly eating Papa Johns or Dominos......the problem is that I never found an adequate alternative when in SR, and tried the Papa Johns in Gulf Breeze one time too many, and usually reverted to frozen pizza or an occasional Pizza hut......yuk, but any port in a storm. Now I am closer to pizza heaven as I wind down, and I am getting some great pizzas once again, and it has become a Friday night routine.

NaNook

NaNook

2seaoat wrote:I vote that he is a douche, but I can guarantee that I will continue to consume hos pizza. As far as I am concerned they are the best as delivery pizza goes. Pizza Hut and Domino's cannot hold a candle to Papa John's.

An immediate forum intervention is required. Sadly, as I make my monthly trip to get my monthly shot, I will stop at Geno's East which is in the shadow of Northwestern Hospital and which along with about 10 other world famous Chicago Pizza places made Chicago the Pizza capital of the world. When I worked with the Borg Warner corporation located in Chicago in the late 70s I acquired a taste for Chicago pizza. Papa Johns, Dominos, and to a lesser extent Pizza Hut are like eating cardboard. Starvation would pose a good alternative to regularly eating Papa Johns or Dominos......the problem is that I never found an adequate alternative when in SR, and tried the Papa Johns in Gulf Breeze one time too many, and usually reverted to frozen pizza or an occasional Pizza hut......yuk, but any port in a storm. Now I am closer to pizza heaven as I wind down, and I am getting some great pizzas once again, and it has become a Friday night routine.

You still don't get it? It's local, what is your favorite local pizza? It's all about supporting local business...period. The problem is an Economist from MIT got involved. A person with lifetime salary and benefits...how many here have the same lifetime deal?

2seaoat wrote:I vote that he is a douche, but I can guarantee that I will continue to consume hos pizza. As far as I am concerned they are the best as delivery pizza goes. Pizza Hut and Domino's cannot hold a candle to Papa John's.

I don't think that we are talking about local pizza places, this is more about the chains. As for your Chicago style pizzas, you can keep them. I have eaten them on a few occasions and was not overly impressed. I would just as soon have a DiGiorno or Red Baron frozen pizza as I had any Chicago Pizza.

NaNook

NaNook

The same people who complain about National Chain Pizza, still order from them.

What is the problem? People want cheap- PIZZA......

2seaoat

Sal's Restaurant in Navarre used to be tolerable, but it has been awhile and paper plates with pizza gaaaawwwwd. Pizza hut sadly far too often trying to fix my pizza fix, but if somebody was a pizza junkie they could be cured living in NB........no pizza and sex should not become mundane and tolerable, that you just keep doing it with little or no enjoyment...it should remain exciting and rewarding for all.....Papa Johns does not even understand the O word.........and I guess a pizza from pizza hut is like having a girlfriend who is frigid.....I simply would prefer not to partake.....but when they are good.....they are really good. Like sex....make it messy and hot..... Help me in my ignorance and give a good recommendation within an hour drive of SR County.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:Sal's Restaurant in Navarre used to be tolerable, but it has been awhile and paper plates with pizza gaaaawwwwd. Pizza hut sadly far too often trying to fix my pizza fix, but if somebody was a pizza junkie they could be cured living in NB........no pizza and sex should not become mundane and tolerable, that you just keep doing it with little or no enjoyment...it should remain exciting and rewarding for all.....Papa Johns does not even understand the O word.........and I guess a pizza from pizza hut is like having a girlfriend who is frigid.....I simply would prefer not to partake.....but when they are good.....they are really good. Like sex....make it messy and hot..... Help me in my ignorance and give a good recommendation within an hour drive of SR County.

Mellow Mushroom on Bayou Blvd. makes first-class pizza.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat wrote:Sal's Restaurant in Navarre used to be tolerable, but it has been awhile and paper plates with pizza gaaaawwwwd. Pizza hut sadly far too often trying to fix my pizza fix, but if somebody was a pizza junkie they could be cured living in NB........no pizza and sex should not become mundane and tolerable, that you just keep doing it with little or no enjoyment...it should remain exciting and rewarding for all.....Papa Johns does not even understand the O word.........and I guess a pizza from pizza hut is like having a girlfriend who is frigid.....I simply would prefer not to partake.....but when they are good.....they are really good. Like sex....make it messy and hot..... Help me in my ignorance and give a good recommendation within an hour drive of SR County.

I guess it boils down to nothing more than personal preference. As for a good pizza joint within an hour drive of SR County, your guess is as good as mine. I very seldom go out for pizza, when I get a hankering for pizza it is delivery and always Papa John's.

2seaoat

You know in fairness....I think Papa Johns did some changes...so maybe I am talking smack without a bit of knowledge about a pizza from there now.

NaNook

NaNook

[quote="2seaoat"]You know in fairness....I think Papa Johns did some changes...so maybe I am talking smack without a bit of knowledge about a pizza from there now.[/quote

Or maybe PJ is trying to conform to new regulations......it's not the fault of PJ. If the government writes the rules..then what?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:You know in fairness....I think Papa Johns did some changes...so maybe I am talking smack without a bit of knowledge about a pizza from there now.

SO...try the Top Shelf Pizza (everything on the top line) with Feta Cheese at Helen Back in Navarre. It's very good. Papa's Pizza in GB (Walmart strip shops)and on the beach has very good pizza also.

Bluebonnet

When I was in college working, I could have cared less about health insurance. I wanted cheap pizza and more money per hour.

As a married adult moving into an age in which health insurance made more sense, my spouse's health insurance was better than mine and working for a small company, I was able to opt out and increase my salary for a portion of the amount.

The pizza is terrible, but some people want it cheap and some employees would rather have more hours than a forced policy.

(Using fake cheese should be felony.)

Watcher

Watcher

John Schnatter is doing this to continue to treat his workers as low wage slaves while he lives high on the hog. I don't really know how he sleeps at night. Maybe one day he'll be in their situation. But I doubt it. Rolling Eyes

Hungry Howies PIzza is better than Papa John's and cheaper. I won't buy Papa John's again.

Watcher

Watcher

Dreamsglore wrote:Hungry Howies PIzza is better than Papa John's and cheaper. I won't buy Papa John's again.

I can make a better pizza at home and for much less.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum