Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

His Majesty Admiral Knight Sheriff Morgan being sued

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Poor baby must be under a lot of pressure these days. Now now stop that crying!

His Majesty Admiral Knight Sheriff Morgan being sued Babycr11

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120627/NEWS01/120627015/1006/news01

Lawsuit: Sheriff demoted deputy for "political reasons"

An Escambia County Sheriff’s deputy and the former head of Gulf Coast Crime Stoppers has filed suit against Sheriff David Morgan, accusing him of unfairly demoting him for political reasons.

The suit was filed Tuesday in the Northern District of Florida. Jeffrey Van Camp Sr., who has been a deputy since 1989, says in the suit that he was demoted after he took a charitable donation from sheriff’s candidate John Powell at a golf tournament in August to benefit Crime Stoppers.

The golf tournament was sponsored by Crime Stoppers and had one hole sponsored by Powell. Sometime during the event, Powell’s people approached Van Camp with the money, the suit says.

Van Camp, the suit says, “called the Florida Attorney General to confirm that donations from candidates could be accepted.”

“He was told that a 501(c) charitable organization could not turn down the donation,” court papers say.

After Morgan found out, however, court papers says Morgan “charged Van Camp with various violations … including not keeping his chain of command informed, failure to properly complete and maintain Crime Stopper records and reports, failure to maintain job knowledge and skills and conduct unbecoming.”

Van Camp, who unsuccessfully ran for sheriff in Santa Rosa County in 2008, has denied all of the allegations.

Still, Van Camp was demoted to patrol officer and “demoted him to patrol officer in the least desirable area of Pensacola,” the suit says He was also suspended for 30 hours after going in front of a disciplinary review board.

The suit takes the case a step further, saying Sheriff’s Capt. Dale Tharp and Cmdr. Ricky Shelby told Van Camp that “his demotion was strictly for political reasons.”

“Morgan knew or should have known that the conduct described above and the retaliation against Van Camp for his perceived association with Powell, his political enemy, was a violation of Van Camp’s constitutional rights …” court papers say.

Van Camp is seeking an unnamed amount of money in damages and court costs.

Van Camp’s attorneys, R. John Westberry and Clayton Conners, refused comment.

Morgan has not yet filed a response.

Sheriff’s attorney Gerry Champagne immediately referred a reporter to the office’s spokesman.

Office spokesman Mike Ward said in an email that “the Sheriff's Office does not comment on pending litigation.”

no stress

no stress

Van Camp is a good guy. I hate to see this happen to him. Still voting for Morgan tho.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I'm voting for Morgan unless someone better comes along. mcnesby was a nimrod. Crooked as a sheriff can be without being in jail. A thief with a badge.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I have to ask. Is vancamp an otc? Other than caucasion.

ghandi wrote:I have to ask. Is vancamp an otc? Other than caucasion.

Nope, he is Caucasian.

Shouldn't it have said the least desirable places of "Escambia County" not P'cola? I think van camp is a wimp if he's scared to work tha hood with all the guns and backup they have.. maybe morgan will let him drive the tank..

UPS wrote:Shouldn't it have said the least desirable places of "Escambia County" not P'cola? I think van camp is a wimp if he's scared to work tha hood with all the guns and backup they have.. maybe morgan will let him drive the tank..
Good call on him working in the country not the city Maybe he could hide in my closet while I look out for him. Poor fellow has to work with all of us nasty "untouchables". We dont want the LEOs to work where there is crime. They need to be in front of a bank or church.

hallmarkgrad wrote:
Good call on him working in the country not the city Maybe he could hide in my closet while I look out for him. Poor fellow has to work with all of us nasty "untouchables". We dont want the LEOs to work where there is crime. They need to be in front of a bank or church.

Hallmark, if I am not mistaken, the ones you see standing in front of churches and banks are off duty and are not on the clock on your dime. But that brings up a whole new ballgame because if they were paid a decent salary they would not need to work a second job to make ends meet.

You are correct. They use the country's equipment and pay 2 dollars a hour. It is a very very large deal. It is also a matter of control for upper management . Play ball and be a good guy and you get the extra work. But some work off of a federal grant that pays for extra patrols and such. I really dont want o get into it here but the Warrington Revitalization Committee has had some interesting dialog with the sheriff trying to get the LEOs to be accountable to the community.

UPS wrote:Shouldn't it have said the least desirable places of "Escambia County" not P'cola? I think van camp is a wimp if he's scared to work tha hood with all the guns and backup they have.. maybe morgan will let him drive the tank..

Have you ever seen Jeff Van Camp? He is a huge guy and I do not mean do-nut huge. He is work out huge. His arms are the size of my thighs. I cannot see a man of his statue being scared of anything.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Have you ever seen Jeff Van Camp? He is a huge guy and I do not mean do-nut huge. He is work out huge. His arms are the size of my thighs. I cannot see a man of his statue being scared of anything.
I know who he is.. size doesn't mean all that much.. courage does tho..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum