Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Ghosts of Ole Miss

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/30/2012, 8:48 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=ghosts-of-ole-miss

Struggled where to post this so I guess under "General Discussion"

Espn's 30 for 30 looks at the integration of Ole Miss, James Meredith, the outbreak of war on the campus the stand of Federal Marshals, Robert and President Kennedy and that period of shame in the South.

A great look from the persepective of an undefeated football team, its stand for Ole Miss, and honor for Mississippi in this time is amazing.

If you have not seen this watch it, come back and talk about it.

Great program, really.

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2012/10/30/3572830/ESPN-ghosts-of-ole-miss-rebels-james-meredith-wright-thompson

Last edited by surfnrg on 10/30/2012, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

2The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty dixie beginning and end 10/30/2012, 9:25 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

they play two slow versions of "Dixie" one at the beginning and one at the end. I still stand up when they play this song

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/band/07FromDixieWithLove_000.m4a

3The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Re: The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/31/2012, 6:12 am

"Espn's 30 for 30 looks at the integration of Ole Miss, James Meredith, the outbreak of war on the campus the stand of Federal Marshals, Robert and President Kennedy and that period of shame in the South."

I was 20 years old in 1962. Getting ready to go into the Military. I do not remember feeling any shame then or now for being a Southerner. As a American I am more ashamed of our actions to the American indian

4The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Re: The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/31/2012, 9:59 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

I cannot get your 2nd link to open.
Great article, though, and looks like a good movie.
And....who doesn't like 'Dixie'? I love the song.

5The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Re: The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/31/2012, 12:07 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

hallmarkgrad wrote:"Espn's 30 for 30 looks at the integration of Ole Miss, James Meredith, the outbreak of war on the campus the stand of Federal Marshals, Robert and President Kennedy and that period of shame in the South."

I was 20 years old in 1962. Getting ready to go into the Military. I do not remember feeling any shame then or now for being a Southerner. As a American I am more ashamed of our actions to the American indian

perhaps i will restate that. the actions of some in the south. The governor of Mississippi and Alabama in those years comes to mind. Those who fostered hate, segregation, and violence in the name of a Battle Flag that was surrendered long ago. For those yes there is shame.

6The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Re: The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/31/2012, 12:20 pm

I am no more responsible for the actions of those people than you are for the Invasion of Iraq.

7The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Re: The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/31/2012, 12:25 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

hallmarkgrad wrote:"Espn's 30 for 30 looks at the integration of Ole Miss, James Meredith, the outbreak of war on the campus the stand of Federal Marshals, Robert and President Kennedy and that period of shame in the South."

more ashamed of "our" actions to the American Indian?

Than what other "actions"?

8The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Re: The Ghosts of Ole Miss 10/31/2012, 12:36 pm

Just for starters. Ever been to some of the "reservations" in Oklahoma? They are still the victims of our failed policies. And yes, I said victims. Sure the trail of Tears was along time ago but the Indians are still messed up from our actions against them. But it was OK we needed the land....

The Trail of Tears is a name given to the forced relocation and movement of Native American nations from southeastern parts of the United States following the Indian Removal Act of 1830. The removal included many members of the Cherokee, Muscogee (Creek), Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw nations, among others in the United States, from their homelands to Indian Territory (eastern sections of the present-day state of Oklahoma). The phrase originated from a description of the removal of the Choctaw Nation in 1831.[1] Many Native Americans suffered from exposure, disease and starvation en route to their destinations. Many died, including 4,000 of the 15,000 relocated Cherokee.[2]

In 1831, the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Muscogee-Creek, and Seminole (sometimes collectively referred to as the Five Civilized Tribes) were living as autonomous nations in what would be called the American Deep South. The process of cultural transformation (proposed by George Washington and Henry Knox) was gaining momentum, especially among the Cherokee and Choctaw.[3] Andrew Jackson continued and renewed the political and military effort for the removal of the Native Americans from these lands with the passage of the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

In 1831 the Choctaw were the first to be removed, and they became the model for all other removals. After the Choctaw, the Seminole were removed in 1832, the Creek in 1834, then the Chickasaw in 1837, and finally the Cherokee in 1838.[4] After removal, some Native Americans remained in their ancient homelands - the Choctaw are found in Mississippi, the Seminole in Florida, the Creek in Alabama, and the Cherokee in North Carolina. A limited number of non-native Americans (including African-Americans - usually as slaves) also accompanied the Native American nations on the trek westward.[4] By 1837, 46,000 Native Americans from these southeastern states had been removed from their homelands thereby opening 25 million acres (100,000 km2) for predominantly white settlement.[4]

The fixed boundaries of these autonomous tribal nations, comprising large areas of the United States, were subject to continual cession and annexation prior to 1830, in part due to pressure from squatters and the threat of military force in the newly declared U.S. territories -- federally administered regions whose boundaries supervened upon the Native treaty claims. As these territories became U.S. states, state governments sought to dissolve the boundaries of the Indian nations within their borders, which were independent of state jurisdiction, and to expropriate the land therein. These pressures were magnified by U.S. population growth and the expansion of slavery in the South.[5]

9The Ghosts of Ole Miss Empty Lakota Sioux 10/31/2012, 12:47 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

I am well aware my avatar is a Lakota Prayer Feather. We use it to pray to the Great Spirit. ( I am not a Native American but one of the First People).

The picture was on 12/31/11 when ushering in the new year through fasting and prayer rather than alcohol. That is a planet in the picture behind my Feather. This was just after the fog lifted on JBeach camped out.

As far as the Sioux resisted Chief Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Chief Red Cloud, and more. They met the same fate in the end.

The Lakota were also known as the Teton Sioux...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum