Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today and a Thought

+3
PBulldog2
2seaoat
stormwatch89
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Today and a Thought Empty Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 8:27 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

This perfect weather made me think of a suggestion my older Daughter gave me that I do practice and thought I'd share.

She suggested 2 things:

1. Every time you are happy, even for the moment, write it on a note card and toss it in a basket/jar, whatever.

At the years end, look at those notes and you'll realize it was, in fact, a good year.

2. Write down your regrets as they happen. At years end, put them in a pit and burn them. They are past.

Yes, I have 2 great daughters who are able to teach me!

Enjoy your day, everyone!

2Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 9:09 am

I love this.

Its little things like this that can help us realize just how lucky we are. I think we forget sometimes and its nice to have a reminder.

Stormy, congrats on having 2 wonderful daughters who are there to remind you. Smile

Children are such a blessing.

3Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 9:15 am

2seaoat

Children are such a blessing.

Yes they are.....and grandchildren are whipped cream and a cherry.

4Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 9:28 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Heavens, Stormy, I don't have enough pieces of paper to write down every time I have a happy moment, even though I've been going through a little bit of seasonal depression.

Now that I think of it, almost all of my happy moments are connected to my "family", which consists of hubby, two big dogs, one little dog and two elderly cats. They are what is most important to me; they are my joy.

I get a lot of enjoyment from interacting with my extended online pseudo-family on this forum and the others, too. Laughing

5Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 9:51 am

Hallmark has stars on his bike helmet for good rides.

Bob adds CDs to his stack of music after a good pick.

Teo adds another row of blocks to the wall of his underground survival shelter.

Will adds another W to the chess tally win column.

I get to add another empty tequila bottle to the bin.

Yella gets to put another roach in the ashtray.

Yeppers, good days...

Last edited by Yomama on 10/20/2012, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

6Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 9:53 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Yomama wrote:Hallmark has stars on his bike helmet for good rides.

Yeppers, good days...

Hahahahahahaaaa! Yep, those sound like happy moments to me. Twisted Evil

7Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 9:55 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Sad moment:

WTH has happened to youtube? I clicked on your link, Eric, and it took me to a rather elaborate page that says I need to sign in.

8Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 10:10 am

I have a lot to be happy about. I am lucky,very lucky, I have a few dollars, good friends, A son and a daughter and blessings beyond what I deserve.......Here is something I posted on another forum. another reason I smiling today.......

As many of you know I have been having issues with my eyes.. I have Glaucoma. Back in March the pressure in my eyes was 34 and 28. The put me on some drops to reduce the pressures. I decided if I could find any holistic things that might help I read that Raw Spinach and Green tea were natural cures. So I have been eating a lot of raw spinach and gallons of strong green tea and of course taking my drops on schedule with out any misses.

Tuesday I went to the VA hospital in Biloxi. My pressures in my eyes have dropped to 15 and 14, which is close to being normal. They asked me to get them rechecked when I came home as the local VA clinic is very close to my house, I did, 12 and 14. Wow!!!!! What great news. If things had continued I might have lost my sight in next couple of years. I have lost the sight in my left eye, but they seem not to really know what caused it. They suspect some kind of trauma but I can not remember any. I did ride into a steel angle iron and got knocked of my bicycle a couple of years ago. It was a hell of crash. It hit me right in the bridge of my nose and knocked me out. I dont know.

Anyways. PLEASE have your eyes checked regularly and do what they say.
I am lucky. I feel like I have been given another chance. Thanks for listening.....

[img]Today and a Thought 2z5kmt3[/img]

9Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 10:58 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

That is fantastic news, HMG! I'm happy for you. The VA provides such good care. cheers

Raw spinach, eh? I love it, so I suppose I need to start eating it, too.

10Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 11:02 am

Hallmark, I had a lot of happy memories as you know right there in that pic of yours.

My boat partially sunk a many of days right there. It wasnt that fun when it happened, but now i look back on it and it was an exciting memory That puts a smile on my face.

As much as I miss it there, I have moved on to new memories here. Like you and many here, I have had my own health chalenges. But each day its good to step back and appreciate the day for just what it is. A wonderful gift.

Im glad now that I have lap tops. For years I spoke to you guys from a comp in my house. I stayed on here too much like I do now and was inside too much. Now I can travel, go outside. anywhere. im not at home now Smile

Meaning of that is enjoy the little things. for me its outside. I love to smell fresh cut grass, or a log fire buring, or listen to crickets or frogs chirping at night. In other words, it doesnt have to be big things that effect our happiness such as kids, lovers, pets, sometimes its just the simple things we get in a rush and over look that really touch us down deep inside quietly giving us that soul smile Very Happy

hugs all

11Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 11:56 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

stormwatch89 wrote:This perfect weather made me think of a suggestion my older Daughter gave me that I do practice and thought I'd share.

She suggested 2 things:

1. Every time you are happy, even for the moment, write it on a note card and toss it in a basket/jar, whatever.

At the years end, look at those notes and you'll realize it was, in fact, a good year.

2. Write down your regrets as they happen. At years end, put them in a pit and burn them. They are past.

Yes, I have 2 great daughters who are able to teach me!

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Good ideas.... Except in todays electronic era, it might be more appropriate to list your positive and negative thoughts on two different pages of the same Excel spreadsheet; at the end of the year, graph them--compare them, and then delete the negative worksheet and save the results.

Note cards are just too old fashioned. I guess you can see I have passed the paper file era. This happened a few years ago when my employer allowed me to put the full version of Adobe Acrobat on my work computer. Since I worked from home occasionally, that software also made it onto my home PC. Then, I made Acrobat my default printer and freed myself from ever having to print anything to paper again, unless I really wanted or needed to. Then I started reading eBooks in 2009. I no longer want anything to do with paper....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

12Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 12:11 pm

Yella

Yella

Yomama wrote:Hallmark has stars on his bike helmet for good rides.

Yeppers, good days...

I never leave a roach in an ashtray. I eat 'em so I don't have to worry where I left it. They are actually quite tasty.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

13Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 12:29 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Happy pictures taken 15 minutes ago at fema...

Today and a Thought Blacke10

Today and a Thought Redflr10

14Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 12:37 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Today and a Thought Blacke13

Well I liked em...

15Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 1:58 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Today and a Thought Blacke13

Well I liked em...

I like em teo. See, even in fema you can spot beauty. flower

16Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 2:15 pm

PBulldog2 wrote:Sad moment:

WTH has happened to youtube? I clicked on your link, Eric, and it took me to a rather elaborate page that says I need to sign in.

I don't know, PB. The link works for me. Maybe you weren't holding your mouth correctly Surprised

Good pics, Teo. There's a bug on one of those flowers.

I was at Gallery Night last night, bought a painting, had a few beers, a brat, sauerkraut, and German potato salad. Here's a pic I took near Seville Quarter.

Today and a Thought Sunset10

17Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 2:30 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yes you just have to slow down and look a little...with all the flash and glitz of the Internet, little pretty things tend to get lost in the sensory barrage .

18Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 2:43 pm

looking at yomammas pic and teos thoughts reminded me of when i was in college and took humanities. The professor took us to the art gallary there and they had a georgia okeefe exhibit. I fell in love with her philosophy.

She saw the beauty in the smallest of things and wanted to paint them very large for all to see.

I remember reading part of her autobiography that when she was young she was in her front yard and seen a teeny flower, one of those 3mm little flowers ya know. and she sat down next to it and admired it, thinking how people just walk on past it and how it was so beautiful if you just took the time to really look at it. It was just small.

http://www.biography.com/people/georgia-okeeffe-9427684

19Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/20/2012, 3:19 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:I have a lot to be happy about. I am lucky,very lucky, I have a few dollars, good friends, A son and a daughter and blessings beyond what I deserve.......Here is something I posted on another forum. another reason I smiling today.......

As many of you know I have been having issues with my eyes.. I have Glaucoma. Back in March the pressure in my eyes was 34 and 28. The put me on some drops to reduce the pressures. I decided if I could find any holistic things that might help I read that Raw Spinach and Green tea were natural cures. So I have been eating a lot of raw spinach and gallons of strong green tea and of course taking my drops on schedule with out any misses.

Tuesday I went to the VA hospital in Biloxi. My pressures in my eyes have dropped to 15 and 14, which is close to being normal. They asked me to get them rechecked when I came home as the local VA clinic is very close to my house, I did, 12 and 14. Wow!!!!! What great news. If things had continued I might have lost my sight in next couple of years. I have lost the sight in my left eye, but they seem not to really know what caused it. They suspect some kind of trauma but I can not remember any. I did ride into a steel angle iron and got knocked of my bicycle a couple of years ago. It was a hell of crash. It hit me right in the bridge of my nose and knocked me out. I dont know.

Anyways. PLEASE have your eyes checked regularly and do what they say.
I am lucky. I feel like I have been given another chance. Thanks for listening.....

[img]__[img]

I'm so glad that your eyes are getting better, hg. My granny (along with several other members of my family) have Macular Degeneration. While she has eye drops she has to use every day and has had many procedures done on her eyes to improve and prolong what is left of her eyesight, she swears that the diet (high in antioxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids) that she follows for MD is what has helped the most.

20Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/21/2012, 12:50 am

Today and a Thought Is?8XxZVimDRmbld9wHX_kYh0STkNJctSd5FK1lXS7n7DA

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3a5vN4tUl4

Smile

21Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/21/2012, 2:59 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Good idea, Storm!
I had a nice weekend. Spent it on the Delta Queen. Except for dust in the air on Friday (from the Midwest) it cleared up by Saturday morning and has been a a perfect weekend. I think the Fall colors are at their peak here. The mountains in North Alabama and Tennessee are gorgeous.

22Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/21/2012, 4:17 pm

Nekochan wrote:Good idea, Storm!
I had a nice weekend. Spent it on the Delta Queen. Except for dust in the air on Friday (from the Midwest) it cleared up by Saturday morning and has been a a perfect weekend. I think the Fall colors are at their peak here. The mountains in North Alabama and Tennessee are gorgeous.
Wow!! The Delta Queen one of the truly magnificent ladies of the river.. We only built one boat that had a paddle wheel for propulsion. It was a fairly small boat. Pretty neat, used hydraulics to drive the stern wheel.
Today and a Thought 106_princess-improved
From the press release when the vessel was launched around 1987:

The 400 passenger, United States Coast Guard certified, sternwheeler M/V STARLITE PRINCESS was recently launched and delivered by Patti Shipyard, Pensacola, Florida. The 85’ X 30’ vessel was designed by DeJong & Lebet, Inc., and is the sixth passenger vessel delivered in 1986, by the Jacksonville, Florida, Naval Architecture firm with a total passenger capacity for six vessels of 2950. The STARLITE PRINCESS is scheduled to begin Dinner-Cruise service out of Clearwater, Florida/Tampa Bay Area in early December.

A trip on the STARLITE PRINCESS is a step back in time to the days of Mark Twain, when paddle wheelers dominated American waterways. The interior of the vessel features antique-design wallpaper, brass light fixtures, chandeliers, and ceiling fans. Wood trim work in the deckhouses, and dome shaped windows add to the interior to create a nostalgic atmosphere reminiscent of the late nineteenth century.

The STARLITE PRINCESS is powered by a pair of Cummins NTA-855 diesel engines, each driving 140 kW generators on one end and a pair of Rexroth hydraulic pumps through a Funk pump drive on the other end. The hydraulic pumps drive 16 foot diameter port and starboard paddlewheels through Hagg]unds Viking Series hydraulic motors.

The most noteworthy feature of the hydraulic drive system is that it allows the operator the option of running the vessel on one engine with the other engine shut down, providing half speed to both paddlewheels, while still providing full electrical power of 140 kW. When full speed is desired, both engines are on-line, providing maximum paddlewheel RPM’s. The hydraulic drive system components were furnished by Custom Hydraulics of Gretna, Louisiana, who also furnished the hydraulic steering system and air controls.

The main engines are mounted on Korfund vibration isolators, and feature a wet exhaust through the side of the hull, with Verna—Lift fiberglass mufflers, furnished by Vernatone. These features combined with significant amounts of engine room insulation, were designed into the vessel by DeJong & Lebet, Inc. in order to minimize the noise level in the deckhouse dining areas.

The STARLITE PRINCESS carries a United States Coast Guard stability letter for 400 passengers on partially protected waters/Lakes, Bays and Sounds. She can seat 230 passengers for dinner in Main and Balcony Deck, and Second Deck lounges, all fully heated and air conditioned. The lounges also feature two dance floors, a raised bandstand, and large cut-out in the Second Deck over the Main Deck dance floor. This cut—out can be closed off to allow separate functions to run concurrently, while maintaining full access to the rest of the vessel

The STARLITE PRINCESS has a full service commercial galley located below the Balcony Deck, including a 6 X 6 walk-in refrigerator. A 6 X 8’ walk-in freezer is located in the storeroom just forward of the galley. The refrigerator, freezer, a 600 lb. ice machine and the Main Deck air conditioners are all keel—cooled with Johnson spiral tube coolers mounted to the hull side.

Another novel feature of the STARLITE PRINCESS are the two forward and one aft mooring spuds. These spuds consist of a pipe inside another pipe, with the spud (inner pipe) suspended from a winch on top of the well (outer pipe). The spuds are used where docking facilities are inadequate or non-existent. When the spuds are lowered and dig into the bottom, the vessel essentially becomes its own floating dock, and can then lower its boarding ramp, or "stage", to allow passengers to board from the shore. Any beach, seawall, levee, bulkhead, small dock, etc. becomes accessible to the STARLITE PRINCESS, providing enough water depth for the hull is available.

Principal Characteristics of the STARLITE PRINCESS are as follows:

Length: (hull) 84’—O"

(with paddlewheel) 102—0"

(with stage) 128—6"

Beam: 30’-O"

Depth (amidships): 6'-6"

Draft (loaded): 4'-4"

Passengers: 400

Fuel Oil: 2,600 gallons

Potable Water: 2,200 gallons

Sewage: 1,300 gallons

Speed: 7½ knots

Principal Suppliers for the STARLITE PRINCESS are as follows:

Designer: DeJong & Lebet, Inc.

Builder: Patti Shipyard, Inc.

Engines: Cummins — Alabama

Hydraulics and Steering: Custom Hydraulics

Hydraulic Pumps: Rexroth

Pump Drive: Funk Manufacturers

Hydraulic Motors: Hagglunds

Keel Coolers: Johnson Rubber

Main Deck Windows: Pacific Marine Industries

Refrigeration: Serveco, Pensacola

HVAC: Serveco, Pensacola

Toilets: Mi crophor

Bilge Pump: MP/Flomax

Fire Pump: Crown

23Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/21/2012, 4:36 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Very cool Hallmark. I had not heard about the Starlite Princess.

As you probably know, the Delta Queen used to take cruises along America's great rivers. But a Federal Law finally shut down her functioning as an overnight cruise boat. She was deemed a fire hazard. So today she is moored in Chattanooga as a hotel. We spent 2 nights on the Delta Queen and she is a beautiful boat. It would have been nice to have spent the time cruising down the river rather than moored there in Chattanooga, but we still had a good time. It was our first time spending time in downtown Chattanooga. We had done Lookout Mountain, Rock City, etc in the past....but this trip we parked the car down near the boat and walked for the entire weekend. It's a very walkable city. The boat is moored near a pedestrian walkway bridge that crosses to the south side of the river. It's very nice that you can cross the river on foot. Bicycles are also allowed on the pedestrian bridge. Hallmark, I think you would like Chattanooga because it's also very bicycle friendly. There are stations all around town where you can rent a bicycle to ride--I think the cost is $6 a day. I was very impressed with Chattanooga and with what they've done with their riverfront.

24Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/21/2012, 5:04 pm

2seaoat

Curious.....what is the sales price of a boat this size.

25Today and a Thought Empty Re: Today and a Thought 10/21/2012, 5:53 pm

I really dont know. The boss always kept that info pretty quiet. I do know the the 101 foot shrimp boats were a about a million. That boat was built back in 87. I would guess it cost about 1.5 million. Maybe a little less,just a guess. I think the Harvey War horse tug was reported to be about 7 million and the Casino Queen was 27 million.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum