Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PANDUMBIC

+5
zsomething
othershoe1030
RealLindaL
Telstar
Floridatexan
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 20]

51PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/17/2020, 9:38 pm

zsomething

I've noticed that people who already killed their mother don't care much about things that kill mostly elderly people. The elderly are just disposable to 'em, because, like I said, they're pieces of shit. They'd sacrifice anybody to "piss off the libs."

Not that that "it only kills the elderly" thing is true, anyway, it's just the GOP talking point that incurious Trump's slavish spit-slurpers gulp at so they can help defend him. The truth is that even children have died from this thing, especially from the symptoms that resemble Kawasaki Disease.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2020/03/coronavirus-vunerable-elderly-adults-ageism-younger-people/608224/

And they ignore that the body count is only as low as it is because the nation did the unprecedented action of shutting down for months to avoid its spread. The success of the treatment becomes, for the brainwashed idiot, a sign that the threat was never that great. And they support not testing because they think that "keeps the numbers low." We don't know yet how many people who survived it will be permanently disabled through scarring of their lungs. But even if we did, it wouldn't matter. You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't arrive at through reason in the first place. If it killed 9 out of 10 they'd still run with disregarding it because they're trained to protect Trump and piss off them libs!

You can't argue with these morons, because they're so deeply brainwashed they don't even have the intellectual tools to understand anything anymore, anyway. Not that they're worth convincing, anyway -- the only thing worse than having one of these morons as an enemy is being burdened with them as a "friend." I saw a post today that did a lot to explain how they think: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/16/1945619/-This-Is-Your-Brain-on-Authoritarianism?utm_campaign=trending I don't often link to Daily Kos 'cuz I prefer news articles to opinion pieces (some people don't know there's a difference), but this one's good.

You can't reason with them. They're just gone, married to defending the wrongest things in the world just because spite is all they have. And they're used to getting no respect, so you can't injure their pride because no matter how unwanted they clearly are, they'll still hang around like a fart in an elevator (I can't even imagine how fucking sad someone's got to be to put up with so much abuse to stay at a place where they're barely even tolerated). But, as someone once said, "It's easier to kill a coward than it is to insult him." So, we have to put up with the moronic yammerings the pieces of shit have been trained to say, and the things they desperately believe because they're fending off their worst enemy -- the moment of clarity about who and what they are that, if they ever had it, would kill them inside.

If the disease would kill only those whose ignorant, fawning obedience-to-Trump leads them to scoff at it, it'd be beneficial. Unfortunately, they'd spread it to worthwhile people on their way out, and no grocery store worker, delivery person, or medical worker should die off for a person like that.

52PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/17/2020, 9:56 pm

zsomething

RealLindaL wrote:
Agree 100% and then some, but, as usual, instead of seeing the light, the  Trump lovers are only doubling down with more vitriol and depraved conspiracy theories to back up their idiotic, hopelessly corrupt president.

And on the local scene, where the results of Trump's insane encouragement of too-early re-opening is playing out:   Last night I made the mistake of attempting to pick up a curbside dinner order from a Pensacola Beach restaurant that's still offering that mode in addition to seated dining at reduced occupancy.   This is after the beachfront itself re-opened just two weekends ago.  It took me over a half hour to go the mile and half to the restaurant because of backed up, creeping traffic on the main road - thousands of beachgoers heading for home or restaurants or who knows where.  It was as bad or worse than a Spring Break.  I saw LOTS of out-of-state plates including from GA, LA, TX, MS, and AL - who knows how many carrying virus in from hot spots, whereas to date we've only had two cases on Pensacola Beach, and one death.  
Thank you very much, Gov. DeSantis.  

That saddens me but doesn't surprise me. I've been going back in to do some of the grunt-work at the office, but I've been telling 'em I'm willing to do it because right now most of our co-workers are still staying home. When all the rest of 'em come back, I'm probably going to cash in some of that personal leave I've got backed up (I have years of it 'cuz I never take vacations) because I don't trust most of my co-workers to behave intelligently. I'd rather have to do all the work than have them "help" and spread disease around. Most of these people won't stay out of church to save their lives (literally) and they "trust the lord" to keep them safe. And every time I've ever gotten sick it's been because one of them gave it to me.

Mississippi has gone full-blown stupid. A lot of people here think the sickness is "gone" and that Trump "cured" it and they're safe to go anywhere again. I feel bad for Pensacola having to put up with my "countrymen" because... they really ain't bright.

Also, many independent owners/leaseholders are renting out their beach houses and condos even though there's still an order forbidding vacation rentals.  The big rental companies are complying for fear of losing their licenses, but the little guys are having a field day, and the scuttlebutt is that they're telling the renters to say, if questioned, that they're family member of the owners and are staying there free.
What a wonderful, LYING, RULES DON'T APPLY TO ME society we have, all being fomented right from the top.

Meanwhile, our county applied to the State of Florida this past Friday for permission to open up all vacation rentals, but with restrictions against renting to those from hot spot states.  RIGHT.  Like anyone will comply with that!!!!  But I predict DeSantis' government will OK it, just in time for Memorial Day weekend -- which will find hubby and me sheltered firmly in place, not even daring to venture out on the sand of the very island where we live.

The sad thing is, we're dealing with a cult. They're going to "believe" whatever they want, and won't be talked out of it.

I saw a right-wing pundit in the Mississippi papers the other day bragging that a friend of his is wise because his approach to everything is "I'll see it when I believe it." The guy actually thinks that's an intelligent approach to the world. O' course, he thinks the virus is a scam and that the real problem is that too many people still don't go to church and trust Trump. Brainwashed people want everyone else brainwashed, too, so they don't have to feel creepy about it.

I've always said I wouldn't wish COVID-19 on anyone, but the less virtuous part of me almost wishes we'd have a huge new resurgence of cases just to show how very WRONG and DANGEROUS the direction we've been going surely is.  (And if Trump contracted a case, that wouldn't bother me one iota either.)

I'm not quite that noble anymore. Once I saw people storming capitols with rifles because they've been inconvenienced, I just gave up and decided it'd probably be good if a lot of people did just go ahead and die, because they're a burden to the world and I don't think the rest of society is going to be able to live in a civilized manner as long as these angry, selfish idiots are around. The problem is, they'd infect others on the way out, and that I'm not willing to accept. But if karma was real and the misery would fall only upon those who decide their "convenience" is more important than the public good, I'd say it was just desserts. This whole thing's made me even more misanthropic. Some of 'em you just can't help.

53PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/17/2020, 10:16 pm

zsomething

54PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 1:22 am

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:I've noticed that people who already killed their mother don't care much about things that kill mostly elderly people.  The elderly are just disposable to 'em, because, like I said, they're pieces of shit.

Yeah, we're "just the elderly anyway."  Sweet.  I've said before and will again that pretty soon we elderly folks will be targets of the right for causing all this trouble for the younger members of society.

And concentrating only on the death toll belies the fact that the disease causes HORRIFIC suffering even in those who survive.  With or without permanent lung damage, I challenge anyone of ANY age who thinks it's no big deal to grapple with weeks on end of recurring, debilitating fevers -- often with delusions -- deeply shaking chills, legitimate fears of organ damage from low oxygen levels -- sometimes without the slightest feeling of breathlessness to give warning, potential loss of the ability to smell or taste coffee brewing or bacon frying, and on and on and on -- I challenge them to contract the disease and continue in their blind stupidity about just how devastating this virus can be to individuals of ANY AND ALL age groups.

55PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 1:28 am

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:Mississippi has gone full-blown stupid.   A lot of people here think the sickness is "gone" and that Trump "cured" it and they're safe to go anywhere again.  I feel bad for Pensacola having to put up with my "countrymen" because... they really ain't bright.

It's not as if we didn't have plenty of "full-blown stupid" people just like that in the greater Pensacola area and surrounding Florida counties. We absolutely do.  But right now we don't need people from anywhere else adding to the virus load -- asymptomatically or otherwise -- just so they can bake on our white sand beaches.  It's more than infuriating.

56PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 2:15 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

57PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 4:54 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

It's abundantly clear that science is beyond useful idiots comprehension... so let's try some simple math. Don't sprain anything.

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2020/04/30/how_we_should_think_about_the_odds_of_dying_from_covid-19_490323.html

We have a fairly accurate estimate of deaths from Covid-19. Data on deaths in Italy and New York confirm that for the population under 50 years of age, the risk of death is close to zero and rises after that through all older age cohorts. I am well aware of heart-wrenching stories of younger men and women dying from Covid-19; but so far, they account for a very small number of those who die from the disease.

Here is what we know from death data from New York and Italy: 70%–80% of Covid-19 deaths occur among those over 70. We also know that the risk of death rises with so-called comorbidities—diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, impaired immunity, and so on. Two other groups are especially vulnerable: health-care providers (which should now be given a separate status category under occupational health risk); and those living in nursing homes. For New York and New Jersey, 20%–40% of the deaths are occurring in nursing homes.

How can CDC help us understand the death risk from Covid-19?

* The 2017 crude death rate, according to CDC, for the entire U.S. population (325 million) was 8.65 per thousand (yielding a probability of dying in any one year of 0.87%). This is calculated from a total of 2,813,000 deaths from all causes. Most epidemiological models are now showing 60,000–70,000 deaths for Covid-19 by August. Even if total Covid-19 deaths were to rise to 120,000 for the entire year, the crude death rate for the entire population would rise to only 0.9%.

* Taking U.S. resident population data and the actual death rate for older cohorts, the pre-Covid-19 crude death rates calculate out as follows for older males (men face a substantially higher risk than women): (i) 65–74 years: 17 per thousand, which yields an annual probability of death of 1.7%; (ii) 75–84 years: 42 per thousand, which yields an annual probability of death of 4.2%; (iii) 85+ years: 150 per thousand, which yields an annual probability of death of 15%.

It is not surprising that the older we get, the higher the chance of dying. Let’s look at some worst-case outcomes, starting with the 75–84 age cohort (a crude death rate of 42 per thousand). I have no idea where we will be by year-end, but let’s start with a somewhat worst-case estimate of 120,000 and then allocate half (60,000) of the entire Covid-19 deaths to the 75–84 age cohort. We are also assuming that these deaths are a net increase, i.e., they are not deaths that would have occurred anyway a few days or months later. For the 75–84 age cohort, the annual probability of dying would rise from 4.2% to 4.7%. If we were to allocate as many as 100,000 deaths to this cohort, it would raise the annual probability of dying to 4.9%.

58PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 6:05 pm

zsomething

Imagine being the kind of walking crud who thinks "fuck 'em if they're old and fat" is a compelling argument. Don't imagine it too hard, though -- I don't want anybody vomiting.

59PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 6:20 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

zsomething wrote:Imagine being the kind of walking crud who thinks "fuck 'em if they're old and fat" is a compelling argument.   Don't imagine it too hard, though -- I don't want anybody vomiting.

Just wow... lol. It's hard to imagine the level of stupid it took to only draw that from the math.

Dumb isn't an Olympic sport Barney... you can stop practicing.

60PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 7:13 pm

zsomething

PkrBum wrote:
zsomething wrote:Imagine being the kind of walking crud who thinks "fuck 'em if they're old and fat" is a compelling argument.   Don't imagine it too hard, though -- I don't want anybody vomiting.

Just wow... lol. It's hard to imagine the level of stupid it took to only draw that from the math.

Dumb isn't an Olympic sport Barney... you can stop practicing.

And they aren't giving out any consolation prizes for "Person Who Fights Hardest To Hang Around A Place Where Nobody Wants Them," Richard, so you can stop humiliating yourself.   It's only making you look like you have no life and even less pride in yourself.  People you've abused aren't ever going to see you as anything but an annoying piece of shit.  You do realize that, right?

There really is no other conclusion to draw from your borrowed "math" than that you see the old and infirm as "disposable" and protecting their lives and health as far less important than protecting Trump's fragile ego.  You want to keep digging, you can, but you couldn't spin that shit into a non-asshole argument if Rumplestiltskin was helping your weak ass.

You'd happily let people die to "piss off the libs." You like math? Calculate how shitty a person that makes you.

61PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/18/2020, 11:55 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

You're special stupid... the kinda stupid that is too stupid to know how stupid you are. The math illustrates the fascist overreaction that you bought into like a good little useful idiot should. At most the elderly and infirm should've taken precautions of their own free will. The economy didn't need command and control edicts to create a self inflicted downturn... that's just been idiocy. The "math" you can't grasp plainly states "Data on deaths in Italy and New York confirm that for the population under 50 years of age, the risk of death is close to zero". You're too stupid to talk to... fuck off.

62PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 1:36 am

RealLindaL

And of course as usual, Pkr has totally and completely ignored what was said above about the absolutely horrific suffering that this disease causes, never mind death, in people of all ages.  

With that kind of blind, mindless response from the man, one can barely contain the urge to wish the sickness to descend upon him full bore at the earliest opportunity, since that will obviously be the only possible way he might ever in a million years understand the breadth and depth of this pandemic, DEATH COUNTS ASIDE.

63PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 1:58 am

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote:I often recall the two fiery she demon doms who tortured me in the bedroom. The Puerto Rican and the French Cajun. Often they would turn to me and say, You're too stupid to talk to... fuck off.

64PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 2:11 am

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:You're too stupid to talk to... fuck off.

Zsomething possesses more knowledge and intelligence in the teeny tiny tip of his fingernail than Pkr will ever hope to have in all his life.

65PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 2:33 am

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:

Zsomething possesses more knowledge and intelligence in the teeny tiny tip of his fingernail than Pkr will ever hope to have in all his life.

The only smart thing Pkr did was to block me. Obviously the years of medication abuse have weakened his sensibilities. The truth is more than he can handle, let alone the truth he would see in my postings. No wonder Pkr tried to have me banned on multiple occasions, along with other members of this forum. Twisted Evil

66PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 9:27 am

polecat

polecat

PANDUMBIC - Page 3 98194410
PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Obama-10

Floridatexan likes this post

67PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 11:39 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

RealLindaL wrote:

Lol... he can't even believe math and science over what politicians tell him.

You too apparently.

68PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 12:05 pm

RealLindaL

Not surprisingly, since Pkr ONLY wants to talk about death STATS, not the misery of the disease itself, he conveniently continues to ignore the SCIENTIFIC FACT that the horror of suffering from COVID-19 affects all ages - in fact, middle ages more frequently than the elderly.  Here's proof from Florida, just as one example:

FLORIDA CASES BY AGE GROUP

Aside from death, or even hospitalizations, there is simply the terrible toll that the illness alone exacts upon those infected -- and that can't be measured.  It requires understanding and empathy, qualities utterly missing from Pkr's character.

69PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 12:15 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Real clear (fill in the blank) is a product of Real Clear Media Group, a far right "conservative" organization that tries to portray itself as moderate, but is anything but.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/realclear-media-has-a-secret-facebook-page-filled-with-far-right-memes

The FB page mentioned in the article was "Conservative Country".  For example:

PANDUMBIC - Page 3 191007-poulsen-real-clear-politics-embed1_aefudz

PANDUMBIC - Page 3 191007-poulsen-real-clear-politics-embed3_jydufh

RCMG also publishes The Federalist, another right wing rag.

Math and science, my ass, you dumb peckerhead.

70PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 12:19 pm

zsomething

After a very weak defense that basically still says "the old don't matter" again -- a core of his argument to which he seems oblivious --  we get this.

Cool.  How 'bout you go with that stance from now and and never talk to me again, ya piddling bitch?   Because that'd be great from my end, and it'd save you gettin' dog-whupped over and over.  

In fact, you seem to consider all of us pretty stupid, considering the way you've addressed everybody here pretty consistently during your entire tenure, so, if we're all so stupid, such "useful idiot gawd you're easy comrade blah-de-blah" and all the other abuse from your parakeet-like tacklebox of shit-you-know-how-to-say, why don't you go find some people who aren't so "stupid" instead?  That's the big mystery -- what kind of life you must have that you so stubbornly try to hang around people you don't even like.   That's just weird.  Whenever I've gotten a tenth as bad a reception on a board as you get here, I go find myself something else to do.  I put a higher price on my time -- no sense taking abuse and wrecking somebody else's good time, even if I don't like 'em.  Who takes pride in being a rash on everybody's ass?  So it's just weird that you cling to this place with zero encouragement, like some stubborn shit-stain in a rug.  People are here despite your presence, not because of it, and it's odd that you're so lonesome you're content with being barely-tolerated.  This must be the only place you get noticed at all... and you have to do this to get even that.  I'd almost feel sorry for you, but you take up for Nazis, so, I don't.

Anyway, it comes down to this:  basically, if we're too stupid to talk to... prove it and stop talking.  Very Happy

Last edited by zsomething on 5/19/2020, 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

71PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 12:20 pm

zsomething

RealLindaL wrote:

Thank you, but considering the comparison, I'm being damned with faint praise! It's like saying I'm smarter than a cabbage. But, I'll take it! Smile

72PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 12:28 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

RealLindaL wrote:Not surprisingly, since Pkr ONLY wants to talk about death STATS, not the misery of the disease itself, he conveniently continues to ignore the SCIENTIFIC FACT that the horror of suffering from COVID-19 affects all ages - in fact, middle ages more frequently than the elderly.  Here's proof from Florida, just as one example:

FLORIDA CASES BY AGE GROUP

Aside from death, or even hospitalizations, there is simply the terrible toll that the illness alone exacts upon those infected -- and that can't be measured.  It requires understanding and empathy, qualities utterly missing from Pkr's character.

Press that little tab at the top to see deaths. Minuscule. Btw... it's the flu. Not ever pleasant... although some are even asymptomatic.

73PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/19/2020, 3:23 pm

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:
Press that little tab at the top to see deaths. Minuscule. Btw... it's the flu. Not ever pleasant... although some are even asymptomatic.

What don't you understand about "ASIDE FROM DEATHS," you utter dimwit?

Oh, and it's just the flu, is it?.  HAHAHAHAHHA  now I REALLY, REALLY see how profoundly ignorant you are, and sincerely hope you get a doozy of a case of COVID-19.   You are as STOOOOOOOOOOOOPID as they come.

74PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/23/2020, 5:53 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Trump wears symbol of one of his multiple failures...at least for part of the time...then he takes it off.

75PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Empty Re: PANDUMBIC 5/25/2020, 11:24 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Unsanitized: Republicans, Predators and the Pandemic

The worst kind of capitalists have persuaded the worst kind of Republicans to end the shutdowns. This is The COVID-19 Daily Report for May 24, 2020.

BY GAUTAM MUKUNDA MAY 24, 2020

PANDUMBIC - Page 3 AP_19192717127022
DAVID ZALUBOWSKI/AP PHOTO
Predatory capitalists like Charles Koch are behind the rush to reopen the country.

The following is a guest version of Unsanitized from Gautam Mukunda, a Research Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Center for Public Leadership and author of Indispensable: When Leaders Really Matter. Follow him on Twitter @gmukunda.

Spurred on by President Trump, Republican governors are reopening their states. In other states, protests against the lockdown roll on even as the country hits new highs in daily deaths. Despite the economic devastation, however, 80% of Americans still support shelter-in-place measures. Even among Republicans, 61%  support shelter-in-place and 47% oppose the protests while only 36% support them.

The experts are on the same page. Economists, virologists and epidemiologists all say that easing the lockdowns before the virus is under control would have disastrous consequences.

But while the experts and the public – Republicans included -- are overwhelmingly on one side of the issue, many Republican officeholders, including President Trump, are on the other. It is rare, to put it mildly, for politicians to take positions opposed by most Americans, particularly those of their own party, on a subject of immense public interest.  To understand why, we need to know where the support for ending the lockdown comes from and its roots in a profound flaw in the American economy.

Much of the pressure to immediately end the lockdowns stems from a relatively small group of Republican financial elites. The President’s initial proclamation to reopen the economy by Easter was spurred in part by a widely-reported call with prominent investors. As well, the protests against governors’ shelter-in-place and social distancing orders have been quietly supported by major conservative donors like Charles Koch.

But not all billionaires are minimizing the danger of the virus. Bill Gates, for example, was a prophetic voice warning against the danger of a pandemic, and has continued to make the case for a forceful national response. He’s far from alone. So who are the open-it-up mega-rich, and why are they so powerful?

There are two ways to make a great fortune. The first is creation – generating value and capturing a disproportionate share of it. We might criticize their tactics or business practices, but most Americans feel that Microsoft, Apple, and Google have greatly benefited America, and that we should have many more companies like them.  

There’s another, and sadly easier, way to become stratospherically wealthy, however – predation. Instead of creating wealth, you capture it from others, leaving them, and society as a whole, worse off. If you inherit an oil company and build it into a giant it might be an impressive business achievement – but when you use a tiny fraction of that wealth to weaken environmental regulations, then take advantage of them to drive up your profits, you’re not creating wealth, you’re just imposing costs on everyone else. If you buy companies, load them up with debt to pay yourself huge fees, strip their assets, and then leave their workers unemployed with worthless pensions, the only thing you’re creating is suffering – but you will get rich. And if, like Trump, you inherit a real estate company, illegally dodge taxes, scam your customers, and refuse to pay your contractors, then you’ve won predation bingo.

In 1954, the great business thinker Peter Drucker said that the only purpose of business is “to create a customer.” A few years later, however, Milton Friedman argued that the “only one social responsibility of business [is] to increase its profits.”  You create customers by filling their needs so both you and they are better off. Profits, however, can just as easily – all too often, more easily – be increased through predation. Unfortunately, it was Friedman’s ideas, not Drucker’s, that came to dominate the way businesses were run, creating enormous fortunes for executives while making it easy for them to think of most Americans as prey.

What’s more, predators have realized that their best return on investment comes from spending on politics, particularly on Mitch McConnell’s money-driven Republican Party. We see this in the titanic power of conservative billionaires like the Kochs, Sheldon Adelson, and Robert Mercer. When your fortune is in the billions, spending tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars to lower your taxes is a bargain. What Republican donors want is often very different from what Republican voters do, as the polling on sheltering in place makes clear. Indeed, as the Republican Party became dependent on predatory capitalists, it followed their preferences to such an extent that with two years of unified control of the government from 2017-2019, the only significant bill it passed was a giant tax cut on the wealthy – even though a Fox News poll found that 54% of Republican voters support raising taxes on people with incomes over $1 million.

In this Administration, predators aren’t just behind the scenes – they’re center stage. There’s Trump, but there’s also Steve Mnuchin, who made hundreds of millions expediting foreclosures even though his company took $1.2 billion from the government to help homeowners avoid  them, and Jared Kushner, who made millions as a slumlord who refused to maintain apartments and gouged residents on fees.

So why are some Republicans pushing to re-open immediately, even though the CDC predicts that this would result in deaths from the virus rising to more than 3,000 per day by June 1st? Why is Trump using the Defense Production Act to force meatpacking workers to labor in unsafe plants while refusing to use the power it grants him to increase the supply of Personal Protective Equipment? Why is McConnell trying to give companies immunity from lawsuits if they violate workplace safety rules and get their employees sick? Why did Republican Senators slip a $170 billion tax break into the CARES act that will provide more than 80% of its benefits (more than $1.6 million each) to wealthy real estate investors?

Because they need the predators. When you’re a predator, the calculation of when to reopen the economy looks very different than it does to most of us. In the absence of a vaccine or treatment, Covid-19, unchecked by social distancing, will likely kill hundreds of thousands of Americans. But for a predator, sacrificing other people to maximize your wealth is the way you got rich in the first place.

When predators go unchecked, however, the system – beginning with its legitimacy --  can buckle. In 2009 President Obama told the CEOs of major banks, “My administration is the only thing between you and the pitchforks” when he was trying to persuade them to limit what they were paying their top executives (including themselves) after being bailed out by American taxpayers. The Obama Administration kept the pitchforks at bay, but his fundamental message – that the American people would not much longer accept a mutant strain of capitalism in which a few gained stratospheric wealth by immiserating many – remained unheard.

Today’s tradeoff is even starker. The details of the global financial system are hard for almost anyone to understand. But it takes no special skill to see that a relative handful of billionaires are using their influence over the Republican Party to end the lockdown with scant regard for the ensuing cost in human life. Beating the virus and creating a nation where we are citizens, not prey, requires us to reject their influence and remove from power the politicians who do their bidding. Votes, not pitchforks, are the weapons we must wield.

https://prospect.org/coronavirus/unsanitized-republicans-predators-and-the-pandemic/

PANDUMBIC - Page 3 Ep123

CAPITALIST DEATH PANELS: IF CORPORATE VULTURES GET THEIR WAY, WE’LL BE DEAD

"THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION is pushing a deadly cocktail of lies and propaganda. This week on Intercepted: As the coronavirus rapidly spreads throughout the United States, major public health organizations are warning that New York could become the next Wuhan. While President Donald Trump fantasizes of wrapping up the virus in time for Easter church services, people are getting sick and dying, hospitals are overwhelmed, medical workers are begging for vital supplies and protesting their conditions. As Congress continues to negotiate a bailout, Republicans seem intent on exploiting the crisis to enrich Wall Street, while Democrats offer meek resistance. Matt Bruenig of the People’s Policy Project breaks down the various proposals in Congress, compares the U.S. plans with other countries’ responses, and lays out some of the tenets of what a bailout for the people should look like. Meanwhile, the fate of more than 2 million people locked up in U.S. jails and prisons hangs in the balance as coronavirus begins to spread among incarcerated populations. Workers at carceral facilities are also getting sick. While some cities are working to release pretrial detainees and people convicted of nonviolent technical crimes, legal groups and human rights organizations are sounding the alarm bells on what could be a horrifying aspect of the coronavirus pandemic hitting people who are literally prevented from social distancing. Premal Dharia, founder and director of the Defender Impact Initiative, describes the situation in carceral facilities across the U.S. and why she is warning of a humanitarian disaster if action is not taken immediately...(podcast transcript)..."

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/25/capitalist-death-panels-if-corporate-vultures-get-their-way-well-be-dead/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum