Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eye to the sky next week

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Eye to the sky next week Empty Eye to the sky next week 7/6/2019, 10:49 pm

RealLindaL

This may not end up making a mess of Blue Angels week after all - stay tuned:

Eye to the sky next week 203739

Last edited by RealLindaL on 7/10/2019, 6:11 pm; edited 14 times in total (Reason for editing : Switch to forecast cone as of 7/10/19 4:00 p.m. CDT)

2Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/6/2019, 10:51 pm

RealLindaL

Can't help thinking about Seaoat and how he pooh-poohed NHC tracking. Always good for an argument. Smile

Sure do miss that man. Still trying to grasp that he's gone forever.

3Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/6/2019, 11:14 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Me too!

4Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/8/2019, 9:36 am

knothead

knothead

Fingers/toes crossed for this nasty weather to dissipate to make way for the biggest day of the year on PB. Been hearing from my friends about the horrendous traffic snarls onto the island, the dredging of Little Sabine and the idiotic plans for a roundabout.

5Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/8/2019, 11:03 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hopefully it will not be rained out.

6Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/8/2019, 8:54 pm

RealLindaL

Besides many potential ruined vacations, this is simply terrible news for all commerce on the island, whether or not we actually experience a tropical cyclone here.   I wouldn't doubt many reservation cancellations are already in the works, and I can't imagine what any restaurant must be faced with, trying to decide how much food to order. (or staff to bring in)  Awful situation.

7Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/9/2019, 2:16 am

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:Fingers/toes crossed for this nasty weather to dissipate to make way for the biggest day of the year on PB.  Been hearing from my friends about the horrendous traffic snarls onto the island, the dredging of Little Sabine and the idiotic plans for a roundabout.

Knot, FWIW, I totally agree the roundabout plan is insane, and not much better is the accompanying plan for pedestrian tunnels under Via de Luna.  

Have tried numerous times to point out to the powers that be that a more effective solution to our traffic woes would be to stop spending millions of ad dollars to attract more visitors, when we're already bringing in far more than our narrow island's infrastructure will ever support.   Just word of mouth and local area growth should be more than sufficient to sustain the businesses here.

But the almighty dollar rules, and my voice has been nothing more than a whisper in the wind.

8Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/10/2019, 9:59 pm

Sal

Sal

Pray for NOLA.

They’re already flooded.

9Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/11/2019, 12:24 am

RealLindaL

Yep, flooded, and state of emergency declared. Dire situation indeed, with the worst yet to come.

10Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/11/2019, 4:45 pm

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:Fingers/toes crossed for this nasty weather to dissipate to make way for the biggest day of the year on PB.  Been hearing from my friends about the horrendous traffic snarls onto the island, the dredging of Little Sabine and the idiotic plans for a roundabout.

Knot, FWIW, I totally agree the roundabout plan is insane, and not much better is the accompanying plan for pedestrian tunnels under Via de Luna.  

Have tried numerous times to point out to the powers that be that a more effective solution to our traffic woes would be to stop spending millions of ad dollars to attract more visitors, when we're already bringing in far more than our narrow island's infrastructure will ever support.   Just word of mouth and local area growth should be more than sufficient to sustain the businesses here.

But the almighty dollar rules, and my voice has been nothing more than a whisper in the wind.

In America money talks and bulls$#t walks, no doubt about it but to believe your voice is a whisper is giving up on that inept SRIA, your voice most certainly counts but what moves Boards to action is cumulative voices that refuse to be silenced. They want you to go away or sit down and STFU! On the topic of the proposed roundabout with attendant tunnels: The entire concept has been sliced and diced before and the proposal went nowhere as it should. I will say this if they are allowed to spend that kind of public funds they should be tarred and feathered! Make noise, raise cane, protest but for the good of the island it needs to be brought to a halt pronto lest a horrible traffic situation will evolve into a virtual nightmare. I'm not sure there is a viable solution. IMO the money would be spent more prudently on a parking garage. That concept would only serve to absorb a small portion of the traffic and would be picked apart for legitimate reasons. It will never end so perhaps the best course of action is to stop the bleeding by cutting off funds to the Chamber and PB Travel . . . . too many coming and nowhere to go.

11Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/11/2019, 5:07 pm

RealLindaL

Actually the culprit big budget tourism agency now is Visit Pensacola.

More later, but do want to report that the Blue Angels managed to work in their Thursday 2 p.m. practice, including high show maneuvers, with only partly cloudy conditions! Yay! Was happy for the many visitors already here.

Hotels, however, are reporting many cancellations even though some cancellation policies are very onerous.

12Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/11/2019, 9:26 pm

bigdog

We were in New Orleans yesterday, July 10, because it was my son's 40th birthday. As the old line goes, we were going over come "hell or high water," and we definitely got the high water. We did not go down into the quarter, but from I-10 we could see cars down under us stuck in the flooded streets. One of the I-10 exits at Franklin Ave looked like a flowing river.
My son has cameras outside his main ice cream store, which is on St Claude Street, between the 7th ward and the Marigny, which is an area that very rarely floods. On the way over, at about 9 AM, he sent me pictures on my phone of his store, and the water was probably at least a foot and a half deep outside the store. You couldn't see the road at all, the water just went from his building all the way across the street to the building in the next block. He was at home and was worried about the shop flooding, because it was still raining. Then about 10:30, the rain stopped, and you could visibly see the water going down hill into the sewer drain and moving so fast that the pumps must have been working very well. By 2 PM, the water was gone and they were able to open up. But even then, Canal St and Bourbon Street intersection was still up almost to the windows of cars. By the time we left last night at about 7, a lot of the water from there had gone, but the near river at the Franklin street exit was still there. I don't honestly know where the water is pumped to, but I understand it is raining again there today. My son and daughter-in-law left town last night and flew to San Francisco for a birthday trip, but they are really concerned about the next few days. We brought their two dogs home with us to Pensacola because we didn't want them in a doggy care center with the storm coming tomorrow, so they are safe here with us. So, everybody is safe, but we are all worried about Freezy Street( his ice cream store, not a street) flooding again. The water did not get inside the building yesterday, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
The timing is just horrible. We should have sand bagged yesterday instead of going out to dinner. Probably would have been a good idea.

13Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/11/2019, 10:07 pm

Sal

Sal

bigdog wrote:We were in New Orleans yesterday, July 10, because it was my son's 40th birthday. As the old line goes, we were going over come "hell or high water," and we definitely got the high water. We did not go down into the quarter, but from I-10 we could see cars down under us stuck in the flooded streets. One of the I-10 exits at Franklin Ave looked like a flowing river.
My son has cameras outside his main ice cream store, which is on St Claude Street, between the 7th ward and the Marigny, which is an area that very rarely floods. On the way over, at about 9 AM, he sent me pictures on my phone of his store, and the water was probably at least a foot and a half deep outside the store. You couldn't see the road at all, the water just went from his building all the way across the street to the building in the next block. He was at home and was worried about the shop flooding, because it was still raining. Then about 10:30, the rain stopped, and you could visibly see the water going down hill into the sewer drain and moving so fast that the pumps must have been working very well. By 2 PM, the water was gone and they were able to open up. But even then, Canal St and Bourbon Street intersection was still up almost to the windows of cars. By the time we left last night at about 7, a lot of the water from there had gone, but the near river at the Franklin street exit was still there. I don't honestly know where the water is pumped to, but I understand it is raining again there today. My son and daughter-in-law left town last night and flew to San Francisco for a birthday trip, but they are really concerned about the next few days. We brought their two dogs home with us to Pensacola because we didn't want them in a doggy care center with the storm coming tomorrow, so they are safe here with us. So, everybody is safe, but we are all worried about Freezy Street( his ice cream store, not a street) flooding again. The water did not get inside the building yesterday, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
The timing is just horrible. We should have sand bagged yesterday instead of going out to dinner. Probably would have been a good idea.

Really sad.

I love NOLA and I love Miami, but I think they’re going to be the first two casualties of global warming in the continental U.S.

14Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/11/2019, 11:19 pm

bigdog

Probably. I suspect New Orleans will go first, and it will be such a tragedy when it happens.
I remember idiots from other parts of the country actually suggesting that New Orleans should pick up the city and move it further north, rather than rebuild it after Katrina.
There was talk that the government was just wasting money rebuilding the city since it was just going to float away eventually.

Morons. New Orleans is the only city in America where you can walk from one century to another just by crossing a street. There are other places that are similar, but they have mostly been rebuilt. Until he bought his house last year, my son lived in an old firehouse that had been built in 1730. Of course, the interior had been redone for residences, but you just don't replace history like that. It's my favorite city in the world besides Pensacola.
I hope they get through this one safe, but with all the floodwaters coming down from the Midwest through the river plus the rain, they are definitely in a bad situation right now.

15Eye to the sky next week Empty Re: Eye to the sky next week 7/13/2019, 3:08 pm

bigdog

My son has cameras on the street outside his shop, and there is no flooding in his area of town at all. He also talked to some friends downtown and they said there were tourists out on Bourbon Street right now, and the Quarter was also not flooded. Apparently, the news reports are filming from areas outside the floodgates of the city, out in the lower Parishes to show flooding, but they are saying New Orleans when they talk about it in their reports.
It's good news for that city, but Baton Rouge may actually bear the brunt of the storm. 
I guess time will tell.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum