Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump WH defies Congressional subpoena

+4
bigdog
Sal
Telstar
othershoe1030
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Here's yet another lawless move on the part of the current administration. When this ends up in court, I wonder what will happen. DJT continues to test the boundaries. It makes me sick. When will he hit a brick wall? What is the end of all this?Who is going to jerk a knot in his tail? The House? The voters? People in the street?

House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings is moving toward a vote to hold former White House personnel security director Carl Kline in contempt after he refused to comply with a subpoena for his appearance before the committee on Tuesday.

Cummings’ statement came after the White House instructed Kline to not answer questions Tuesday as part of the committee’ investigation into the White House security clearance process. It also sets up what could be the most significant clash between the two branches of government since Democrats took over the House.

“It appears that the president believes that the Constitution does not apply to his White House, that he may order officials at will to violate their legal obligations, and that he may obstruct attempts by Congress to conduct oversight,” Cummings (D-Md.) said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/23/white-house-security-clearance-investigators-1287313

Telstar

Telstar

Trump WH defies Congressional subpoena Trump_19

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:Here's yet another lawless move on the part of the current administration. When this ends up in court, I wonder what will happen. DJT continues to test the boundaries. It makes me sick. When will he hit a brick wall? What is the end of all this?Who is going to jerk a knot in his tail? The House? The voters? People in the street?

House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings is moving toward a vote to hold former White House personnel security director Carl Kline in contempt after he refused to comply with a subpoena for his appearance before the committee on Tuesday.

Cummings’ statement came after the White House instructed Kline to not answer questions Tuesday as part of the committee’ investigation into the White House security clearance process. It also sets up what could be the most significant clash between the two branches of government since Democrats took over the House.

“It appears that the president believes that the Constitution does not apply to his White House, that he may order officials at will to violate their legal obligations, and that he may obstruct attempts by Congress to conduct oversight,” Cummings (D-Md.) said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/23/white-house-security-clearance-investigators-1287313

He has the DOJ. He has stacked the SCOTUS. What is the play? ...

Let’s think real hard here ....

... maybe, the Mueller report would help ...

... IMPEACH!!!!

We are headed directly toward dictatorship if Congress refuses to honor its duty.

bigdog

I agree. Impeachment is the only route left at this point. His argument in trying to keep his IRS private and in claiming none of his aides needs to appear before Congress is that what Congress is doing is purely political. There's no legal reason for it.
So, impeach and then there would be no question that the evidence was necessary for a legal proceeding.

According to Rachel Maddow, Don McGann can't be kept from testimony due to executive privilege. It would have had to have been declared when he went before the Mueller investigators in order to use it now. We'll see how good Rachel's theory on that one is.

PkrBum

PkrBum

What's the legitimate legislative purpose? Suspicion? Feeeeelings? Politican vendetta?

Not good enough.

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote:“Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaquaqua with white beard quaquaquaqua outside time without extension who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia loves us dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell and suffers like the divine Miranda with those who for reasons unknown but time will tell are plunged in torment plunged in fire whose fire flames if that continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast heaven to hell so blue still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better than nothing but not so fast and considering what is more that as a result of the labours left unfinished crowned by the Acacacacademy of Anthropopopometry of Essy-in-Possy of Testew and Cunard it is established beyond all doubt all other doubt than that which clings to the labours of men that as a result of the labours unfinished of Testew and Cunard it is established as hereinafter but not so fast for reasons unknown that as a result of the public works of Puncher and Wattmann it is established beyond all doubt that in view of the labours of Fartov and Belcher left unfinished for reasons unknown of Testew and Cunard left unfinished it is established what many deny that man in Possy of Testew and Cunard that man in Essy that man in short that man in brief in spite of the strides of alimentation and defecation is seen to waste and pine waste and pine and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the strides of physical culture the practice of sports such as tennis football running cycling swimming flying floating riding gliding conating camogie skating tennis of all kinds dying flying sports of all sorts autumn summer winter winter tennis of all kinds hockey of all sorts penicilline and succedanea in a word I resume and concurrently simultaneously for reasons unknown to shrink and dwindle in spite of the tennis I resume flying gliding golf over nine and eighteen holes tennis of all sorts in a word for reasons unknown in Feckham Peckham Fulham Clapham namely concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown but time will tell to shrink and dwindle I resume Fulham Clapham in a word the dead loss per head since the death of Bishop Berkeley being to the tune of one inch four ounce per head approximately by and large more or less to the nearest decimal good measure round figures stark naked in the stockinged feet in Connemara in a word for reasons unknown no matter what matter the facts are there and considering what is more much more grave that in the light of the labours lost of Steinweg and Peterman it appears what is more much more grave that in the light the light the light of the labours lost of Steinweg and Peterman that in the plains in the mountains by the seas by the rivers running water running fire the air is the same and than the earth namely the air and then the earth in the great cold the great dark the air and the earth abode of stones in the great cold alas alas in the year of their Lord six hundred and something the air the earth the sea the earth abode of stones in the great deeps the great cold on sea on land and in the air I resume for reasons unknown in spite of the tennis the facts are there but time will tell I resume alas alas on on in short in fine on on abode of stones who can doubt it I resume but not so fast I resume the skull to shrink and waste and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the tennis on on the beard the flames the tears the stones so blue so calm alas alas on on the skull the skull the skull the skull in Connemara in spite of the tennis the labours abandoned left unfinished graver still abode of stones in a word I resume alas alas abandoned unfinished the skull the skull in Connemara in spite of the tennis the skull alas the stones Cunard (mêlée, final vociferations) tennis… the stones… so calm… Cunard… unfinished…”  

Trump WH defies Congressional subpoena Trfy-210

RealLindaL

Liberal talking heads tonight theorized that Trump's latest blocking moves leave the Dems with no choice but to impeach. But here's the question: Is that Trump's stupidity at work, or is it instead the craftiness of his advisors, believing impeachment will backfire, ensuring a 2020 win for Trump?

High stakes gamesmanship, folks. Hard to know what to think.

polecat

polecat

Trump WH defies Congressional subpoena If_the10

polecat

polecat

PkrBum wrote:What's the legitimate legislative purpose? Suspicion? Feeeeelings? Politican vendetta?

Not good enough.

Michael Cohen's recent public congressional testimony was a startling moment in recent history. His allegations that Donald Trump routinely evaded taxes and committed other financial fraud should result in an immediate request to the Treasury to turn over President Trump’s business and personal tax returns.

According to Cohen, Trump falsely inflated his assets to get bank loans, then deflated them to evade taxes. Cohen noted that Trump abused his charitable trust, reimbursing a straw purchaser of a Trump portrait costing $60,000 and accepting a $150,000 payment for a speech, which may have been done to avoid taxes. And Cohen testified that Trump may have even written off hush payments to his former mistresses.

Good enough for me!

gatorfan

othershoe1030 wrote:Here's yet another lawless move on the part of the current administration. When this ends up in court, I wonder what will happen. DJT continues to test the boundaries. It makes me sick. When will he hit a brick wall? What is the end of all this?Who is going to jerk a knot in his tail? The House? The voters? People in the street?

Just out of idle curiosity were you upset with the Obama administration when they refused congressional subpoenas over Fast and Furious, claiming Executive Privilege or Deputy IG Kendall refusal to comply with Congressional demands? Remember those? There are others as well but you get the idea. How is this different other than the leftist political agenda and short memory spans?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Telstar wrote:Trump WH defies Congressional subpoena Trump_19

The thought that this man and the first lady will have official portraits hanging wherever such things are displayed...I suggest that this be the model for DJT's. It typifies his administration.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

gatorfan wrote:

Just out of idle curiosity were you upset with the Obama administration when they refused congressional subpoenas over Fast and Furious, claiming Executive Privilege or Deputy IG Kendall refusal to comply with Congressional demands?  Remember those? There are others as well but you get the idea. How is this different other than the leftist political agenda and short memory spans?

I see your point. I think this comes under the heading of "What-about-ism"?

Additionally, it seems as if the details the House committees are attempting to get at by looking at his tax returns and every other scrap of paper that he's trying to hide cover very significant areas of questions, such as: Is this president under the influence of an adversarial foreign government? Why are people given security clearances over the advice of professionals trained to clear or not clear such individuals?

I could go on. Since it is now evident that this WH has thrown up a cloak of invisibility over itself, this begs the question...is this another act of obstruction of justice? I can't recall any such broad refusal to cooperate with congressional requests for information, maybe Nixon?

The more frantic the WH becomes, the harder it attempts to resist disclosure of any Trump related information, which is kind of ironic when you think about this happening just a few days after the Mueller Report (redacted edition) is released giving us a window into just how this WH functions.

PkrBum

PkrBum

polecat wrote:According to Cohen

He's not a credible source. He even lied in his latest testimony. Not to mention he's actually going to prison for lying. Would that be "good enough" in a neutral situation without you being emotionally invested? Be honest.

bigdog

RealLindaL wrote:Liberal talking heads tonight theorized that Trump's latest blocking moves leave the Dems with no choice but to impeach.   But here's the question:  Is that Trump's stupidity at work, or is it instead the craftiness of his advisors, believing impeachment will backfire, ensuring a 2020 win for Trump?  

High stakes gamesmanship, folks.   Hard to know what to think.

I don't think that anyone who has this president figured out by now will ever go back to him. They're not going to feel sorry for him because he is impeached.
That's a right wing talking point that Nancy is buying into, again, and she needs to step down if she is going to continue to fall for every trick the Repugs put out there for her.

It's not about politics. It's the job of the Congress to oversee the POTUS, not to let him run wild over the Constitution and the American people Elizabeth Warren used the word Duty, and even though she is not my favorite person, I agree with her completely. There should be no choice but to do your duty. (Atticus Finch was right about that too. The first Atticus Finch, not the racist second Atticus Finch in that other novel. Very Happy )

bigdog

PkrBum wrote:

He's not a credible source. He even lied in his latest testimony. Not to mention he's actually going to prison for lying. Would that be "good enough" in a neutral situation without you being emotionally invested? Be honest.

OMG, Michael Cohen and many, many other people testified to Trump's crimes. You are out of your depth trying to claim every single witness lied to the Mueller commission.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

bigdog wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

OMG, Michael Cohen and many, many other people testified to Trump's crimes. You are out of your depth trying to claim every single witness lied to the Mueller commission.

I think Mueller's investigation had so much material that documented Cohen's testimony that they didn't really HAVE to Believe him. He was just another witness. Trump's case hardly hangs on the testimony of one person!

RealLindaL

RealLindaL wrote:Liberal talking heads tonight theorized that Trump's latest blocking moves leave the Dems with no choice but to impeach.   But here's the question:  Is that Trump's stupidity at work, or is it instead the craftiness of his advisors, believing impeachment will backfire, ensuring a 2020 win for Trump?  

High stakes gamesmanship, folks.   Hard to know what to think.

More and more people apparently thinking the same way.   From NBC News tonight:

There's even some thought that Trump is now baiting the House to impeach him.

"I think it's entirely possible he’s pursuing a briar-patch strategy, like bring your impeachment because you will be punished for it — not by me, but by the voters," said Michael Caputo, a GOP strategist and former Trump adviser.

Trump goes to war for power over congress

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum