Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GOP lawmakers wore pearls while gun violence victims testified. Activists were outraged.

+3
gatorfan
zsomething
Floridatexan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

GOP lawmakers wore pearls while gun violence victims testified. Activists were outraged. ZSCQS3DBVRCGRIL7EF6FKQOTSU

New Hampshire state legislators wear pearl necklaces as their committee debates a gun control measure on Tuesday. (Courtesy of Shannon Watts.)

By Reis Thebault March 5 at 9:56 PM

"A handful of male lawmakers dressed up for a hearing they presided over Tuesday in the New Hampshire House of Representatives, donning pearl necklaces as activists testified about their experiences with gun violence.

Images from the statehouse — where legislators were considering arguments over a bill that would make it easier to take guns away from potentially dangerous people — caromed across social media as critics lobbed accusations of sexism and insensitivity at the necklace-wearing men.

The implication was clear, they said: These politicians thought gun-control activists were “clutching their pearls” in overwrought and self-righteous outrage — and, specifically, female outrage.

The advocates, who were volunteers with the group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, said they felt mocked, as if some of the lawmakers were not interested in hearing how gun violence has affected their lives.

“It really is shameful to behave that way when your constituents are being brave enough to share their stories,” Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, said in an interview. “They clearly did not come to this hearing with open minds or compassion for their constituents.”

The bill, known as a “red flag” law, would allow family members and law enforcement agencies to obtain court orders that restrict gun access for individuals who may pose an immediate risk to themselves or others. If New Hampshire adopts the legislation, it would join 14 states that have done so, many in the wake of deadly mass shootings.

Watts, who attended the hearing, said she counted at least five representatives — all men — wearing pearls and sitting on the committee that held the hearing. One of them also appeared to sport a pin in the shape of a semiautomatic rifle on his lapel. She snapped photos of the lawmakers and posted them on Twitter, where she has nearly 300,000 followers, sparking outrage near and far..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/03/06/gop-lawmakers-wore-pearls-while-gun-violence-victims-testified-activists-were-outraged/?utm_term=.67b5ecee92ee&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

zsomething

Right-wingers suck so bad at protesting things. If those dipshits want to make themselves look silly wearing pearls in an attempt to trivialize murder, let 'em. It only makes them look stupid and petty and un-serious about dealing with the problem.

And it'd be really easy to make a dirty joke about Donald Trump giving 'em to 'em...

What a bunch of dorks.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

zsomething wrote:Right-wingers suck so bad at protesting things.  If those dipshits want to make themselves look silly wearing pearls in an attempt to trivialize murder, let 'em.  It only makes them look stupid and petty and un-serious about dealing with the problem.

And it'd be really easy to make a dirty joke about Donald Trump giving 'em to 'em...

What a bunch of dorks.  

"Dorks" isn't what I was thinking.

gatorfan

And now for Paul Harveys "The Rest of The Story" as opposed to the cherry picked suppositions from an admitted "activist". Just ONCE it would be nice to read an OBJECTIVE post here.

"But the president of the Women's Defense League, a New Hampshire gun rights group that focuses on "training and educating women" on practical self-defense skills, disputed the accusation, saying the pearls were worn in support of their group.
"These men are supporting women and supporting women who support actual women's rights. They are the farthest thing from sexist and there was a women lawmaker wearing them, too. That was conveniently left out," Kimberly Morin, the president of the Women's Defense League, told CNN Wednesday.
Morin told CNN that her group has been wearing "pearls every hearing, every event," for years as a symbol for their cause, and have recently dubbed them "freedom beads." She said two of the group's board members were handing them out at Tuesday's hearing."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/06/politics/new-hampshire-gun-debate/index.html

Deus X

Deus X

Omit needless words:

zsomething wrote:Right-wingers suck...  

zsomething

Deus X wrote:Omit needless words:

zsomething wrote:Right-wingers suck...  

If I was concise I wouldn't be me. Smile

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:And now for Paul Harveys "The Rest of The Story" as opposed to the cherry picked suppositions from an admitted "activist". Just ONCE it would be nice to read an OBJECTIVE post here.

"But the president of the Women's Defense League, a New Hampshire gun rights group that focuses on "training and educating women" on practical self-defense skills, disputed the accusation, saying the pearls were worn in support of their group.
"These men are supporting women and supporting women who support actual women's rights. They are the farthest thing from sexist and there was a women lawmaker wearing them, too. That was conveniently left out," Kimberly Morin, the president of the Women's Defense League, told CNN Wednesday.
Morin told CNN that her group has been wearing "pearls every hearing, every event," for years as a symbol for their cause, and have recently dubbed them "freedom beads." She said two of the group's board members were handing them out at Tuesday's hearing."

All of that was in the original article that I posted. Anyone is free to read the rest. The Women's Defense League is just a local NRA affiliate. Check it out for yourself and stop accusing others of the things you're guilty of doing.

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:And now for Paul Harveys "The Rest of The Story" as opposed to the cherry picked suppositions from an admitted "activist". Just ONCE it would be nice to read an OBJECTIVE post here.

All of that was in the original article that I posted.  Anyone is free to read the rest.  The Women's Defense League is just a local NRA affiliate.  Check it out for yourself and stop accusing others of the things you're guilty of doing.

Women's Defense League Receives NRA Grant

Money will allow org to train women with basic firearms safety and use.

CONCORD, NH — New Hampshire's premiere gun rights organization for women has received a $7,300 grant from the National Rifle Association Foundation to train woman in gun safety, use, and access, according to a press statement.

The Women's Defense League of New Hampshire, a grass roots organization that has been advocating for gun rights and for the removal of discriminatory policies in the state, will use the money for instruction and to fund its safety programs.

"We are very excited about our training program," said Michelle Levell, chairwoman of the org, in a statement, "and pleased that the NRA is making an investment in our community."

League President Kimberly Morin stated that the grant will go "a long way in supporting" the org's mission of safety and defense of 2nd Amendment rights for women.

"One of our primary missions is to train women in basic firearms' safety and use," she said. "All of our on-site trainers are NRA-certified instructors or range safety officers. No other organization in the state provides this on-going commitment."

https://patch.com/new-hampshire/concord-nh/women-s-defense-league-receives-nra-grant

RealLindaL

Take THAT, gator.

gatorfan

RealLindaL wrote:Take THAT, gator.

Too funny, I can post something but I can't make you fanatics understand it. The information left OUT of the WAPO article is significant. But as we all know ultraliberal fanatics never met a fact they couldn't ignore.

Telstar

Telstar

gatorfan wrote:

Too funny, I can post something but I can't make you fanatics understand it. The information left OUT of the WAPO article is significant. But as we all know ultraliberal fanatics never met a fact they couldn't ignore.

Give it up geomant, You've been nowhere since you stopped pulling Krumhorn's organ and painting Tulips nails. Laughing

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:

Follow the link and read the whole article. Then STFU.

gatorfan

Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

Follow the link and read the whole article.  Then STFU.

Typical liberal response to inconvenient truths. Look at your cherry picked post and tell me you are able to be objective. Still a "truther"? You are always good for a laugh though I'll give you that much.

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:
Typical liberal response to inconvenient truths. Look at your cherry picked post and tell me you are able to be objective. Still a "truther"? You are always good for a laugh though I'll give you that much.

Let no one ever again harbor any doubt of Spanky's eagerness to swallow whole even the most incredibly ridiculous and stupid excuses made by the most biased wingnut special interest groups on the planet.

They shoulda just stuck with this ...

Another New Hampshire representative on the committee, Dennis Fields, told CNN he was handed the beads and wore them without knowing the meaning behind them, assuming they were to celebrate Mardi Gras.

It's more credible than the horseshit that Spanky's pushing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum