Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Red Tide Rick" gets booed out of town...

+4
PkrBum
RealLindaL
Deus X
othershoe1030
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deus X

Deus X

Florida governor booed out of restaurant over red tide algae issues

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) was reportedly booed out of a restaurant as protesters vented their frustration over the state’s red algae tide crisis.

Scott was making a campaign stop in Venice, Fla., when he was met with angry protesters outside of Mojo’s Real Cuban restaurant on Monday, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported. The governor, who is term-limited under Florida's Constitution, is currently in a tight race against incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson (D) for Nelson's seat.

He entered the restaurant but only stayed about 10 minutes before he left to a booing crowd.

Protesters outside the restaurant reportedly chanted “Hey hey, ho ho, red tide Rick has got to go" and held signs that dubbed him “red tide Rick.”

Scott’s critics told the newspaper that he is only exacerbating the problem.

Increased nutrient levels in water from leaking septic tanks or lawn fertilizer causes red tide blooms to develop, the Herald-Tribune noted.

Scott signed legislation that repealed mandatory septic tank inspections in 2012. As governor, he has also cut $700 million from the state’s water management districts and reduced staffing at Florida's Department of Environmental Protection, the newspaper added.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/407141-florida-governor-booed-out-of-restaurant-over-red-tide-algae-issues

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Deus X wrote:Florida governor booed out of restaurant over red tide algae issues

Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) was reportedly booed out of a restaurant as protesters vented their frustration over the state’s red algae tide crisis.

Scott was making a campaign stop in Venice, Fla., when he was met with angry protesters outside of Mojo’s Real Cuban restaurant on Monday, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported. The governor, who is term-limited under Florida's Constitution, is currently in a tight race against incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson (D) for Nelson's seat.

He entered the restaurant but only stayed about 10 minutes before he left to a booing crowd.

Protesters outside the restaurant reportedly chanted “Hey hey, ho ho, red tide Rick has got to go" and held signs that dubbed him “red tide Rick.”

Scott’s critics told the newspaper that he is only exacerbating the problem.

Increased nutrient levels in water from leaking septic tanks or lawn fertilizer causes red tide blooms to develop, the Herald-Tribune noted.

Scott signed legislation that repealed mandatory septic tank inspections in 2012. As governor, he has also cut $700 million from the state’s water management districts and reduced staffing at Florida's Department of Environmental Protection, the newspaper added.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/407141-florida-governor-booed-out-of-restaurant-over-red-tide-algae-issues

People aren't always in favor of "regulations" but in most cases they should be called "protections" instead of regulations. The states with the tightest environmental protections have the highest average incomes and high educational levels. There is a connection between protecting the environment and the quality of life conditions that make a state attractive to business.

The anti-protection groups shoot themselves in the foot by trying to be nice to chemical industries or developers etc. but in the long run, comes the red tide and its relatives. It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!

Deus X

Deus X

othershoe1030 wrote:
The states with the tightest environmental protections have the highest average incomes and high educational levels.

Correlation is not causation. What's the cause and what's the effect? Not so easy to sort that one out.

Got any data to support that? It seems true to me but I was certain Trump would lose and you see how that turned out.

RealLindaL

Deus X wrote:It seems true to me but I was certain Trump would lose and you see how that turned out.

We were ALL fooled on that one.

PkrBum

PkrBum

This is the new "discourse"? Good to know.

Deus X

Deus X

PkrBum wrote:This is the new "discourse"? Good to know.

Oh, shut the fuck up!

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Deus X wrote:

Oh, shut the fuck up!

Well, that would kind of defeat the purpose of why any of us are here at all  Cool

"Red Tide Rick" gets booed out of town... Noyoushutup128539393202812500

Deus X

Deus X

EmeraldGhost wrote:
Deus X wrote:

Oh, shut the fuck up!

Well, that would kind of defeat the purpose of why any of us are here at all  Cool

"Red Tide Rick" gets booed out of town... Noyoushutup128539393202812500

Oh, shut the fuck up!

2seaoat

Southwest Florida is one of the strongest Republican areas in the state, but they are piszed. My friends in Marco and Naples think Scott should have been working for solutions four years ago, and now it is a crisis. Scott cannot win if they associate red tide to him. That chit crosses party lines.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
Deus X wrote:It seems true to me but I was certain Trump would lose and you see how that turned out.

We were ALL fooled on that one.

cheers cheers cheers

Telstar

Telstar

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum