Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where is Gordon?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Where is Gordon? Empty Where is Gordon? 9/4/2018, 8:22 pm

bigdog

Still waiting for some action from this scary hurricane. Haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet.

2Where is Gordon? Empty Re: Where is Gordon? 9/4/2018, 9:55 pm

2seaoat

The folks tracking hurricanes by throwing darts at where they think it will make landfall......Bob hated when I said this.....he felt they were really doing a good job.......they are killing people. A false alarm is as bad as a direct hit because it will cause people to disregard the dart throwers when they might be accurate.

3Where is Gordon? Empty Re: Where is Gordon? 9/5/2018, 12:21 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Gordon followed the path that was predicted. Did the news make it sensational... of course theydid! Newscasters don't report the news like journalist did in the past. They make it exciting.

Bob would have known all about the storm.

Heavy rain in GB with the usual street flooding. Sea walls, that I know of, were not broached... no residential flooding.

4Where is Gordon? Empty Re: Where is Gordon? 9/5/2018, 1:49 am

RealLindaL

We've had tropical storm-like conditions on Santa Rosa Island, just as forecast.  (A hurricane was never predicted for NW FL.)    It was a wild and woolly day and evening starting after about 2 p.m., with dark and roiling skies, seemingly endless, torrential, wind-driven rain, and gusts that shook the house and roared through the palm trees.  Rte. 399 from Pensacola Beach to Navarre Beach  was closed due to washover.

Gordon is just now beginning to let up some (though we'll supposedly experience more rain and wind through Wednesday).  The storm came ashore a coupla hours back as a strong tropical storm two states west of here.  It just never ceases to amaze me, the power and fury of these storms even if not quite hurricane strength, and even if not directly on our doorstep.

I'll try to ignore Sea's remarks, as his deep ignorance of the scientific methodologies employed by today's National Hurricane Center knows no bounds.  Bob was absolutely right on this one.  And no, I won't be pulled into a discussion with Sea on the issue, as I value my normal blood pressure.

5Where is Gordon? Empty Re: Where is Gordon? 9/5/2018, 8:18 am

2seaoat

The brain trust of super computer dart room at NOAA......Panama City to Houston.....thanks for nothing.......learn to throw the darts BETTER.

Where is Gordon? Images10

6Where is Gordon? Empty Re: Where is Gordon? 9/5/2018, 7:38 pm

bigdog

I think day to day forecasts are pretty correct, but hurricanes do whatever they want to do. They don't watch TV or read the internet.
My sister in Mobile said it was rough over there. We got very little wind at my house, just a lot of water. Didn't lose power, which is the way I grade my storms.

7Where is Gordon? Empty Re: Where is Gordon? 9/6/2018, 12:09 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

It was about as we expected ... so we didn't get too excited about it.  I sure didn't bother to board up the windows.  We stay somewhat prepped all the time and always have a plan, although I sold my old generator this year.  If a big one ever comes this way (and hasn't yet since we've lived here) our plan is to just bug out early.  We're retired so it's no big deal for us to take that precaution.

Radar apparently indicated a couple of tornadoes up here in Pace last night, neither apparently touched down.  We were ready to head to the designated closet though just in case.  Truthfully though, we went through tornado warnings a lot more often in Missouri and Texas than we've ever had to here.  (not to mention the hail and the ice storms!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum