Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CNN reports that Toyota will be raising prices on cars made here and imported

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I swear that Trump is making money for his buddies by picking winners and losers with each of his announcements. They said a camary shipped from Japan will cost 6k more on the American showroom soon. This is just stupid. I understand getting tough on specific unfair trade practices, but the American consumer is going to get wasted.

2seaoat

This is getting very serious. It appears that there are discussions to take tariffs collected which should go into the government's general fund, may be used for targeted payouts to groups that Trump simply needs for political consolidation of his power. He will be picking winners and losers, and of course this allows a tremendous back door for co-conspirators to play the market on individual companies impacted by tariff or welfare bailout which Trump may control. We have never had these potential conflicts of interest becoming policy....we will see.https://www.forbes.com/sites/phillevy/2018/04/12/trump-tariff-revenue-what-tariff-revenue/#51312602390f

PkrBum

PkrBum

Buy American.

2seaoat

Buy American.

No car in America is made in America......at best it has 75%, so this tax on American consumers will run the spectrum.

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/724724002

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:Buy American.

Re-read the thread title.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

PkrBum wrote:Buy American.

I did!  

(then I found out my Silverado was actually assembled in Canada   confused    )

Laughing Laughing Laughing

2seaoat

The tariffs are going to become interesting with the new models being released this fall. We have always bought new cars instead of used. We put about 240 thousand miles on all our cars over the last twenty years, with the kids getting our cars after we are done with them, where they drive them until they die. The kids are now buying reliable family cars and they do not want our high mileage cars. The Chevy has close to 200k miles and the Prius is 225k miles. We need to bring a new car into the rotation as we want to keep the Chevy to keep down in Florida so we have a second car when we visit. However, right now we are talking about maybe buying a used Prius this fall before the used car market heats up because of the tariffs. We will see.

Deus X

Deus X

2seaoat wrote:The tariffs are going to become interesting...

The tariffs are already getting interesting, people are losing their jobs now:

This company is laying off almost all its workers because of tariffs

A South Carolina company plans to lay off almost all its workers — 126 people — because of the Trump administration's tariffs.

Element Electronics, which assembles televisions, notified the state of the expected job cuts earlier this week. The company also plans to close its plant in the town of Winnsboro.

The company said the layoffs and plant closure were a direct result of US tariffs on goods imported from China, including important parts that Element uses to put together TVs.

The layoffs will begin in October. By the end of the year, a skeleton crew of eight people will be left, the company said.

In July, the administration imposed a 25% tariff on $34 billion worth of Chinese imports. Beijing, accusing the United States of trade bullying, has retaliated by imposing tariffs on American goods of equal value.

The United States plans tariffs on an additional $16 billion of Chinese goods, to take effect August 23.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/08/news/companies/tariff-job-cuts/index.html

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote: we want to keep the Chevy to keep down in Florida so we have a second car when we visit.

So you're still planning on returning here? Very good to know.

RealLindaL

Seaoat, are you purposely ignoring my above question, or did you not see it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum