This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Boy (now a man) who claimed he died and went to heaven, now says it was all "Malarky."

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Why am I not surprised?

News & Politics
'Boy Who Came Back From Heaven’ Is Suing Christian Publisher to Get His Name Removed From Phony Bestseller
The now-adult subject says the entire childhood tale was a lie.
By Travis Gettys / Raw Story
April 12, 2018, 8:17 AM GMT


The subject of the bestselling book “The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven” has sued the Christian publisher Tyndale House after admitting his tale was entirely made up.

Alex Malarkey, now 20, was paralyzed following a 2004 car accident that left him in a coma, and he claimed after regaining consciousness that he had gone to Heaven and communicated with God and Jesus, reported the Christian Post.
His story was turned into a 2010 bestseller published by Tyndale House — but Malarkey later admitted the story was entirely fabricated.

According to the lawsuit filed at DuPage County Circuit Court in Wheaton, Illinois, the religious publisher made millions from the tale that Malarkey says his now-deceased father made up and shared nothing with the quadriplegic subject of the book.

“Despite the fact that Tyndale House has made millions of dollars off Alex’s identity and an alleged autobiographical story of his life, Tyndale House paid Alex, a paralyzed young man, nothing,” the suit complains.

Malarkey sent a letter in 2015 to LifeWay Christian Stores and other faith-based retailers explaining that he went along with the ruse because he was a child who wanted his father’s attention.

“I said I went to Heaven because I thought it would get me attention,” Malarkey said. “When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.”

Tyndale House pulled the book from stores and some bookstores issued refunds.

Malarkey and his mother said they warned Tyndale House and LifeWay for years that the account was made up, but said they were ignored until they took their claims public.

The lawsuit, which is seeking damages, says Malarkey does not want to be connected with the book in any way now that he is an adult and seeks a permanent injunction against Tyndale House requiring all reasonable efforts to disassociate his name from the book.

Oh no! Another religious tale is outed. OMG!

View user profile
Nobody ever went broke lying to religious people. It's what they want. Religion is really just a branch of the entertainment industry.

Believing afterlife stories from a kid named Malarkey is like taking military intel from a dude named "Curveball."

View user profile
They will grant Malarky a Mulligan.

View user profile

View user profile
Believing bs utopia stories from a bunch of authoritarians is like believing Hillary was just careless.

Collectivism is the new religion.

View user profile
Deus X wrote:

View user profile
Collectivism is the new religion.

You are right......the first church of Trump is the new religion and like this story, all based on lies and deception.

View user profile
No one knows what God's Judgement or heaven will be like. We only know from the scriptures we shall each be held accountable for the mortal life God, the Creator, has given us. And when that time of accountability comes, we will each and every one of us fail to measure up to the perfection required for our souls to stand forever in the presence and Glory of God and we shall be condemned for eternity to a permanent absence from the presence of the Creator (aka: hell.) At that point the soul shall perish and will be no more. This is the wailing and gnashing of teeth spoken of. When we realize, after death, that we, our souls, are to be destroyed. How that will occur we cannot know. The "fiery furnace" of hell is just a metaphor for that. It's might make more sense for some to think of this destruction of the soul in terms of the "outer darkness" referred to in Matthew 8:12

But if we are Christian and give our lives over to God's continual guidance, we shall be redeemed from that particular condemnation of the soul, made perfect, and our souls will go on for eternity as part of God's creation in heaven. This is God's covenant with man.

I don't want to be destroyed, do you? I choose to live this short mortal life secure in the knowledge my soul will go on and on for eternity as part of God's heavenly creation. Who wouldn't?

View user profile
I don't want to be destroyed, do you? I choose to live this short mortal life secure in the knowledge my soul will go on and on for eternity as part of God's heavenly creation. Who wouldn't?


So your belief in God is born in the fear you are going to be destroyed, and you want eternity? This explains some of your other positions, and certainly we are each entitled to our beliefs which should never be confused with facts.

View user profile
ConservaLady wrote:No one knows what God's Judgement or heaven will be like.   We only know from the scriptures we shall each be held accountable for the mortal life God, the Creator, has given us.   And when that time of accountability comes, we will each and every one of us fail to measure up to the perfection required for our souls to stand forever in the presence and Glory of God and we shall be condemned for eternity to a permanent absence from the presence of the Creator (aka: hell.)   At that point the soul shall perish and will be no more.  This is the wailing and gnashing of teeth spoken of.  When we realize, after death, that we, our souls, are to be destroyed.   How that will occur we cannot know.  The "fiery furnace" of hell is just a metaphor for that.    It's might make more sense for some to think of this destruction of the soul in terms of the "outer darkness" referred to in Matthew 8:12

But if we are Christian and give our lives over to God's continual guidance, we shall be redeemed from that particular condemnation of the soul, made perfect,  and our souls will go on for eternity as part of God's creation in heaven.   This is God's covenant with man.

I don't want to be destroyed, do you?   I choose to live this short mortal life secure in the knowledge my soul will go on and on for eternity as part of God's heavenly creation.  Who wouldn't?


Trust me, "lady," if there's a god, he's gonna want NOTHING to do with your taunting ass.

The ol' "well, if I'm wrong I lost nothing" argument is always kind of funny to me. I mean, really, church is nothing but a branch of the entertainment industry, so if you're getting fun out of it, that's cool, knock yourself out. But there are hundreds of religions out there. Your picking one of them doesn't put your odds much better than not believing at all. You claim you're "secure in the knowledge," but, fact is, you don't know any more than anybody else. You're just a whole lot more smug and ask a lot fewer questions. You're conceited and full of superior-attitude like you get some kind of cheap smack-buzz off it, trying to lecture us all on "knowledge" that you don't even have. It's annoying, but I think being annoying is kind of your point. Right-wing Christians always wonder why they don't feel more welcome, but they never self-assess and wonder why that is. They just assume everybody else is fulla "demons" and we recoil at your shining righteousness. It's never the fault that you're an overbearing, sanctimonious, lecturing asshole who thinks everyone's inferior to you and needs you to play mommy and set us all straight. The fucking arrogance of ya is truly profound.


All security-of-knowledge aside, you really don't know anything, you just believe it. Other people believe their stuff with equal surety, and based on the same amount of actual evidence (i.e. zilch-zip-nada). You can pick your side and roll the dice and if that helps you sleep at night, then I'm all for it as long as I don't have to hear about it every freakin' time you come around, but... this "knowing" stuff is ludicrous. You're sure of nothing. Suppose the Muslims are right. Then you're praying to the wrong god, and he'll be mad at you, especially since you folks tend to really hate his followers, treat them all like terrorists, and want to keep them out of the country. Or if the Morons are right, or the Hindus, or, what the hey, let's throw the Scientologists in there, too -- everything's a cult, some just have more members than others, so why leave them out? You're just picking one... and you're really not even picking it, because you're just mindlessly following the way you were raised. You very well might die, face judgement, and be told, "Sorry, you should've been a Moonie!" And off to aych-ee-double-toothpicks ye shall go. Hell, you could get up there and be facing Jim Jones for all you know.


Your preaching is just goofy. Pretty much everyone on this board (with one exception, namely Pkr) seems like a far better person than you are. You aren't more righteous, just more self-righteous. If being a good person counts -- and I'm pretty sure that if there were a god worthy of the name that'd be priority #1, and there may not even be any other numbers -- then you're gonna be the last one here he'd want.

Funny how it's always the people who think it'd be a big reward spending eternity with them that nobody wants to spend five minutes with here on Earth.

View user profile
zsomething wrote: You aren't more righteous, just more self-righteous.

You make a lot of unfounded assumptions about me and my faith.

When did I say I was more righteous than anyone else? Or even righteous at all? I am a sinful human with a sinful nature, saved only by the Grace of God through his son Jesus Christ.

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. Romans 8:1 ---

You seem to be angry at God, or at the idea of God? Why is that? I'm not asking you to answer that question to me or anyone else. Just answer it to yourself.

View user profile
zsomething wrote:
Trust me, "lady," if there's a god, he's gonna want NOTHING to do with your taunting ass.

The ol'  "well, if I'm wrong I lost nothing" argument is always kind of funny to me.  I mean, really, church is nothing but a branch of the entertainment industry, so if you're getting fun out of it, that's cool, knock yourself out.  But there are hundreds of religions out there.   Your picking one of them doesn't put your odds much better than not believing at all.  You claim you're "secure in the knowledge," but, fact is, you don't know any more than anybody else.  You're just a whole lot more smug and ask a lot fewer questions.   You're conceited and full of superior-attitude like you get some kind of cheap smack-buzz off it, trying to lecture us all on "knowledge" that you don't even have.   It's annoying, but I think being annoying is kind of your point.   Right-wing Christians always wonder why they don't feel more welcome, but they never self-assess and wonder why that is.  They just assume everybody else is fulla "demons" and we recoil at your shining righteousness.   It's never the fault that you're an overbearing, sanctimonious, lecturing asshole who thinks everyone's inferior to you and needs you to play mommy and set us all straight.   The fucking arrogance of ya is truly profound.


All security-of-knowledge aside, you really don't know anything, you just believe it.   Other people believe their stuff with equal surety, and based on the same amount of actual evidence (i.e. zilch-zip-nada).  You can pick your side and roll the dice and if that helps you sleep at night, then I'm all for it as long as I don't have to hear about it every freakin' time you come around, but... this "knowing" stuff is ludicrous.  You're sure of nothing.  Suppose the Muslims are right.   Then you're praying to the wrong god, and he'll be mad at you, especially since you folks tend to really hate his followers, treat them all like terrorists, and want to keep them out of the country.   Or if the Morons are right, or the Hindus, or, what the hey, let's throw the Scientologists in there, too -- everything's a cult, some just have more members than others, so why leave them out?   You're just picking one... and you're really not even picking it, because you're just mindlessly following the way you were raised.   You very well might die, face judgement, and be told, "Sorry, you should've been a Moonie!"   And off to aych-ee-double-toothpicks ye shall go.   Hell, you could get up there and be facing Jim Jones for all you know.


Your preaching is just goofy.  Pretty much everyone on this board (with one exception, namely Pkr) seems like a far better person than you are.  You aren't more righteous, just more self-righteous.  If being a good person counts -- and I'm pretty sure that if there were  a god worthy of the name that'd be priority #1, and there may not even be any other numbers -- then you're gonna be the last one here he'd want.  

Funny how it's always the people who think it'd be a big reward spending eternity with them that nobody wants to spend five minutes with here on Earth.

cheers cheers cheers cheers

View user profile
ConservaLady wrote:
You make a lot of unfounded assumptions about me and my faith.

Unfounded? You do realize we can read what you write, yeah?

When did I say I was more righteous than anyone else?

Gee, I dunno, maybe I just got that impression because damn near everything you post is a lecture full of Bible quotes like we need your "teachings." Look at yourself sometime -- all you do is give condescending lectures like you're the "enlightened one" and the rest of us are in need of your guidance. I'm not sure what other conclusion anyone is supposed to take from the way you act!



 
Or even righteous at all?  I am a sinful human with a sinful nature, saved only by the Grace of God through his son Jesus Christ.

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.   Romans 8:1 ---

See, there you go again. Like we need you to tell us what to do because we're so inferior to you. You are incredibly presumptuous. And, if I'm to believe you (and since I think you're a satirical act I'm not sure we are), you don't even know it.

You seem to be angry at God, or at the idea of God?  Why is that?  I'm not asking you to answer that question to me or anyone else.  Just answer it to yourself.

Nope, I'm not "angry at God." Nor am I angry at Peter Pan, Huckleberry Finn, or any other fictional character. As far as philosophers go, Jesus is one of my favorites. And if some people want to think he was more than just a philosopher, that's fine and dandy with me... as long as they don't use that belief to be a prick to other people.

You, however, step all over that line. You are one sanctimonious, lecturing, self-appointed-teacher superiority-complex-made-flesh. Your whole attitude is "these people need my guidance on everything."

And, honestly, I think you ought to do one hell of a lot more listening than you do talking, because there's not a person here (other than Pkr) who you couldn't pick up a lot of good personality tips from.

You really have no clue who you are, do you?

View user profile
OUCH!

View user profile
Zsomething, as usual, no one here could've said it all better.

View user profile
RealLindaL wrote:Zsomething, as usual, no one here could've said it all better.  

Thanks, I try. Smile

View user profile
zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Zsomething, as usual, no one here could've said it all better.  

Thanks, I try. Smile

You really do. And the rest of us lazy fools are in your debt for taking the time to say everything we wish we'd said ourselves -- only you always say it better anyway.

View user profile
zsomething wrote:

See, there you go again.  Like we need you to tell us what to do because we're so inferior to you.    

I haven't told you or anyone what to do. Just shared a few bible verses. Not sure why that is so upsetting to you? The words are not my words. I'm a Christian. It's what I do. It's part of what being a Christian is about ... and I could point you to scripture on that if you were really interested. What you do with the information is up to you.

And yes, you do seem very angry at anything Christian. I was just wondering why that is? If you had some bad experience or something? But you don't have to explain yourself to me. I just suggest you ask yourself.

View user profile
2seaoat wrote:

So your belief in God is born in the fear

No. My belief in God is born in the realization that he esixts, he created our souls, he loves us, and he wants us to be with him for eternity.

Why would I not want that too? Why would I want my soul to cease to exist after death. It's not what God wants for me. Or for anyone.

View user profile
Never argue with a "true believer" .... that's my rule! It's pointless and usually you just further entrench whatever their beliefs are.

Probably goes for political "true believers" as well, but I don't apply my rule to them. (although I probably should) Cool

View user profile

View user profile
EmeraldGhost wrote:Never argue with a "true believer" .... that's my rule!   It's pointless and usually you just further entrench whatever their beliefs are.

Probably goes for political "true believers" as well, but I don't apply my rule to them.  (although I probably should) Cool

If you want to characterize me as a true-believer, I stand guilty as charged.  

I would have no desire to argue with you or anyone about it, though.   But anytime anyone wants to discuss matters of faith, or there is a discussion going on in my presence, I am always open to sharing mine.


14 Remind people of these things and solemnly charge them before God not to wrangle over words. This is of no benefit; it just brings ruin on those who listen. 15 Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.   2 Timothy 2:14-15

View user profile
So your belief in God is because you are going to get something in return.....that is why Matthew 6 is so important, because it establishes that each of us have a direct connection to God, without folks like you telling us we are going to get some goodies if we believe and listen to your "loud praying".

View user profile
A real atheist doesn't waste their time writing a wall of words tearing someone down for their faith.

That's an anti-religious zealot that resents a competing collectivism to their leftist ideology.

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum