Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies

+5
mutahroxkat7a
RealLindaL
polecat
Telstar
Floridatexan
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

By Mike Spies, The New Yorker

26 February 18

Marion Hammer’s unique influence over legislators has produced laws that dramatically alter long-held American norms.

"Jared Moskowitz, a Democratic member of the Florida House of Representatives, was debating tax policy on the chamber floor, in Tallahassee, last week, when he received a call from his wife, Leah. He was surprised to hear her crying. She was trying to pick up their four-year-old son, Sam, who attends a preschool in Moskowitz’s district, which encompasses two affluent communities about an hour north of Miami—Parkland and Coral Springs. Leah had seen a number of police officers outside the building. Moskowitz called the local sheriff’s office and learned that the preschool was on lockdown, because there was an active shooter at the nearby Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Moskowitz, who graduated from Douglas in 1999, called Leah back, then walked over to Richard Corcoran, the speaker of the House, and explained that he had to leave. “I think people were still getting killed while we were talking,” Moskowitz told me.

Parkland is almost five hundred miles south of Tallahassee; by the time Moskowitz’s flight landed, he knew that nineteen-year-old Nikolas Cruz, who had been expelled from Douglas, had used a legally purchased AR-15 semiautomatic rifle to kill seventeen students and staff members and seriously wound more than a dozen others. Moskowitz drove to the Marriott Hotel in Coral Springs, a few minutes from Douglas. Law-enforcement officials had directed parents and family members of missing children to a ballroom there.

Some mothers and fathers were praying; others grew exasperated. “Just tell me!” one parent yelled at the F.B.I. agents and the police officers who were in the room. “Is he in the school?” After midnight, officials began to take families to an adjoining room, one at a time, where they were told whether their child was dead or in the hospital. “You could hear them screaming through the wall,” Moskowitz recalled.

Two days later, I joined Moskowitz on Coral Springs Drive, which runs alongside Douglas. The area was closed to traffic, and cordoned off by a length of police tape. TV-news reporters had camped out there, and Douglas students walked among them, placing flowers on an improvised memorial and demanding that lawmakers pass new gun-safety laws. One student, a solemn seventeen-year-old named Demitri Hoth, shared footage on his phone of his classmates just after the shooting. They were walking single file down Coral Springs Drive, with their hands over their heads. “I wanted to show the American public the true failure of our politicians,” Hoth said. “We all lost something—our friends, our loved ones, our security, our innocence.”

On the other side of the tape, public officials congregated. Normally, Moskowitz moves with the jumpy energy of a Hollywood agent, but now he was subdued. He wore a charcoal suit, and his hazel eyes were raw and red-rimmed. He had come from the funeral of Meadow Pollack, a senior at Douglas.

Moskowitz shook hands with Dan Daley, a young city commissioner in Coral Springs. “I was talking to one of the Douglas students,” Daley said. “His only words to me were ‘Do something.’ I had to tell him that I legally can’t do anything, because the governor could take away my job if I tried.”

Moskowitz turned to me. “That’s the legacy of Marion Hammer,” he said.

Hammer is the National Rifle Association’s Florida lobbyist. At seventy-eight years old, she is nearing four decades as the most influential gun lobbyist in the United States. Her policies have elevated Florida’s gun owners to a uniquely privileged status, and made the public carrying of firearms a fact of daily life in the state. Daley was referring to a law that Hammer worked to enact in 2011, during Governor Rick Scott’s first year in office. The statute punishes local officials who attempt to establish gun regulations stricter than those imposed at the state level. Officials can be fined thousands of dollars and removed from office..."

The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies 028432-marion-hammer-022618

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/48670-the-nra-lobbyist-behind-floridas-pro-gun-policies

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Now here's a fascinating forum I just happened upon:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/NRA-s-Marion-Hammer--Past-NRA-President--and-the-NRA-ILA-s-Betrayal-of-Florida/5-1992881/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies DWIBQfnVQAcrEtp

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies DWIBQfnVQAcrEtp

Sad.

polecat

polecat

The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies Dxi84a10

Think about how absolutely terrified Republicans must be of these teenagers, that they’ve spent all of their energy over the last two weeks trying to smear child survivors of a mass shooting. - Jules Suzdaltsev

RealLindaL

As far as I'm concerned Marion Hammer is the scum of the earth.

mutahroxkat7a

mutahroxkat7a

When 90% of mass-shooters in the U.S. are Registered Democrats, it's time to admit we DON'T have a gun problem in America, we have an epidemic of radicalized democrats https://virginiapatriot1776.wordpress.com/2017/06/15/when-90-of-mass-shooters-in-the-u-s-are-registered-democrats-its-time-to-admit-we-dont-have-a-gun-problem-in-america-we-have-an-epidemic-of-radicalized-democrats/ via @wordpressdotcom

Telstar

Telstar

Winter recess at High School.

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:

lol!    lol!    lol!

FACT CHECK:

https://www.snopes.com/democrat-shooters-list/

And another (warning: turn down volume):

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mass-shooters-democrats-claudia-tenney_us_5a8ddf95e4b0617d46396e55

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:

lol!    lol!    lol!

FACT CHECK:

https://www.snopes.com/democrat-shooters-list/

And another (warning: turn down volume):

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mass-shooters-democrats-claudia-tenney_us_5a8ddf95e4b0617d46396e55

You know who will welcome this sock-troll with open paws.

11The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies Empty Parkland 3/3/2018, 7:55 pm

mutahroxkat7a

mutahroxkat7a

Cops Were Possible Shooters in Parkland https://shar.es/1L2Seq

Deus X

Deus X

This is gonna be fun to watch.

Telstar

Telstar

Fresh fish. Twisted Evil

https://twitter.com/mutahroxkat7a

Deus X

Deus X

Telstar wrote:Fresh fish. Twisted Evil

https://twitter.com/mutahroxkat7a

Nice catch! What a putz. Why do rabid Trump supporters all seem so childish?

2seaoat

There are common sense solutions. As soon as gun is mentioned, some want to ban, and some want to arm everybody. The question remains: How do bad guys get into schools? The answer is repeatedly through the unlocked front door. The state of Florida has decided to arm schools, but the repeated failure of armed LEO who were at the schools when a gunman entered seems to continue to be repeated. Taxpayers pay for an armed fortress.......but the illusion is that there is no fortress.

1. Bullet proof electronically locked front doors and exit doors.
2. Create a sheltered entry station at least 100 feet from the front door which will allow students and visitors to go through metal detectors and video monitoring outside the locked building. People will be buzzed into the building.
3. Put in protocols which do not allow armed folks into the building.

Today we have folks living in houses who took their front doors off which allow anybody to walk into the house and commit a crime. Of course after repeated crimes including coming up with the brilliant solution to hire armed guards to sit in the living room as they watched folks commit the crime a little boy said.....could we make the front door secure?

Deus X

Deus X

2seaoat wrote:There are common sense solutions.  As soon as gun is mentioned, some want to ban, and some want to arm everybody.  The question remains:  How do bad guys get into schools?   The answer is repeatedly through the unlocked front door.  The state of Florida has decided to arm schools, but the repeated failure of armed LEO who were at the schools when a gunman entered seems to continue to be repeated.  Taxpayers pay for an armed fortress.......but the illusion is that there is no fortress.

1.   Bullet proof electronically locked front doors and exit doors.
2.   Create a sheltered entry station at least 100 feet from the front door which will allow students and visitors to go through metal detectors and video monitoring outside the locked building.  People will be buzzed into the building.
3.  Put in protocols which do not allow armed folks into the building.

Who's gonna pay for bullet-proof, electronically locked doors and sheltered entries with metal detectors and video monitoring? That stuff ain't cheap, I suspect it would add the better part of a half-million dollars to each school campus.

My kids' elementary school had two buildings and at least 10 entries. Their high school had four buildings and a bunch of portables with a total of, probably, 20 different entries. Most school shooters went to the school they shoot up, so they're very familiar with all the different entries.

Public schools are paid for by local taxes, are you suggesting a huge increase in property or sales taxes? This idea shouldn't even be in the same post with the words "common sense".

Puh-leeeeze!

2seaoat

Which do you think is more expensive. The wired fire glass in an internal school staircases, or bullet proof glass. I have three entry methods into my house. If I lock and restrict two, I only need to put personnel on the front door with monitoring of all doors by video. An eight camera system costs less than four hundred installed. For less than a thousand dollars you could have 16 cameras on every school. My wife had bus duty at her school. She got 1,500 a year extra a year for that first half hour until all kids were in the school. You could rotate teachers on their break to monitor the front door. Training and hardened school sites would be less than fifty thousand a school. For about 10% of the sixty five billion increase in the defense budget would make schools impenetrable to guns. Game, set, match. Now we add another layer of permitting guns which are in a vehicle and being transported.......problem almost solved.....there will always be somebody who can just walk up to students leaving school and shoot.

Deus X

Deus X

2Seaoat wrote:If I lock...   you could have...   I only need...    you coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Right and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass so much.

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/local/school-resource-officer-blaine-gaskill-helped-stop-gunman-at-a-maryland-high-school/2018/03/20/639a8e42-2c66-11e8-b0b0-f706877db618_story.html

Deputy Blaine Gaskill rushed toward the sound of gunshots in a Maryland high school Tuesday, putting himself not only in the line of fire but also at the center of the white-hot national debate on school safety.

Gaskill, a 34-year-old SWAT-trained officer of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, was working as the school’s resource officer when a student opened fire in a first-floor hallway, striking a female student and possibly a male classmate. Gaskill confronted the shooter as students and teachers scrambled for cover. Both fired their weapons, and the gunman was fatally wounded. Gaskill was not injured.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Which do you think is more expensive.  The wired fire glass in an internal school staircases, or bullet proof glass.  I have three entry methods into my house.  If I lock and restrict two, I only need to put personnel on the front door with monitoring of all doors by video.  An eight camera system costs less than four hundred installed.  For less than a thousand dollars you could have 16 cameras on every school.  My wife had bus duty at her school.  She got 1,500 a year extra a year for that first half hour until all kids were in the school.  You could rotate teachers on their break to monitor the front door.  Training and hardened school sites would be less than fifty thousand a school.  For about 10% of the sixty five billion increase in the defense budget would make schools impenetrable to guns.  Game, set, match.  Now we add another layer of permitting guns which are in a vehicle and being transported.......problem almost solved.....there will always be somebody who can just walk up to students leaving school and shoot.

Dreamland ideas. You forgot to add 2 hours to the school day to cram all the students and teachers through one entrance. Who is going to monitor multiple cameras with the expertise to identify a problem?

Quick, look at the picture - one of those students is armed and wants to shoot up the school - but which one is it???? Come ON - you're out of time....

The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Pro-Gun Policies Students-and-teachers-exiting-and-entering-a-high-school-video-id715041125?s=640x640

polecat

polecat

To recap yesterday: a child obtained a gun, just as our founding fathers intended, and brought that gun to school, just as our founding fathers intended, at which point he shot two students before being shot to death by a resource officer, just as our founding fathers intended. - Jeff Tiedrich

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum