Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters

+2
2seaoat
bigdog
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/7/2017, 11:50 am

bigdog

I think our part of the country takes hurricanes seriously. It's just that this is a very religious area and believes in an end-time prophecy that makes them think everything will be ok eventually. When scientists say global warming will be the end of us, they can't wrap their minds around it. They think they'll all be raptured up before the world experiences the extinction of mankind.

It's not stupidity, it's religion and some of us call it brainwashing. Not arguing the possible existence of a God here, I don't know about that one. I do know there is no deus ex machina that will end this play though.

My daughter and son-in-law are back onshore and on the interstate heading home from their cruise. I just hope they get here before the storm does. They should be here around 6 tonight to collect their dogs. My son, in New Orleans, has closed his store for the next 2 days. Landreiu has proclaimed a 7Pm curfew over there for tonight, and they are headed for their 2 story apartment down in the quarter because the electric grid is better in the quarter than anywhere else in N.O. Also, that's the highest ground in the city. The other daughter is down in Navarre. Hopefully, the winds won't be as strong that far to the East. So, kids will be battened down and I took in the lawn furniture.
In answer to the question, we're not covering the windows for a cat one or a weak cat 2 storm. If we had easy closing hurricane shutters, we might. Hammering up boards or screwing up metal is a lot of work for a storm this size.

27Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/7/2017, 12:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Once again the very part of the country which consistently ignores science and votes for those who deny climate change will be hit by extreme weather and the Federal Government once again will spend billions to fix the damage, but when we can pass legislation which tries to decrease man's contributions to climate change these very same folks think a climate denier like President Trump is our savior.   Some times I have NO doubt that there is a vengeful God.

Thank you Seaoat.... for thinking of the safety of your Gulf Coast friends.

28Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/7/2017, 1:20 pm

2seaoat

Thank you Seaoat.... for thinking of the safety of your Gulf Coast friends.

Until people speak the truth, people will die needlessly blinded by political selfishness as coal, oil, and gas lobby to keep polluting this one earth with carbon and attacking those scientist who have warned us of increasing frequency and intensity of weather cycles. People will die. Like those who argue that after a classroom of children are massacred by semi and automatic weapons that it is not the proper time to discuss gun safety, people continue to ignore that selfish American pollution, withdrawal from the Paris accords, and an entire region which relishes in anti science now is challenged by the very thing good science has warned will increasingly become more intense and more frequent.

I have no life or limb in this hurricane, but likely will lose a 40k park model as katrina pushed a five foot surge down our canal and flooded houses even though landfall was in MS, and made a mess of my project land. Not a thing I can do because you need to secure an oversize permit to move it and even if that could be done, I am too ill to travel, so a park model which I cannot get flood insurance for will probably be destroyed with any surge over two feet. I am not feeling sad at all, because maybe when people finally realize that we can start to do things which will protect our grandchildren and great grandchildren they will stop this selfish denial of science and start electing people who will work to save this planet.

29Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/7/2017, 1:38 pm

knothead

knothead

Linda, this thread is making me homesick . . . . . . (only kidding) but I am in touch with our best friends but am thinking of you all during the coming of the big wind.

30Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/7/2017, 4:14 pm

bigdog

Seaoat, you might be surprised to find out how liberal the people in Southern Louisiana are, especially in New Orleans.
There aren't a lot of science deniers living there. But they will suffer with the rest of the Gulf Coast, so I know what you mean.

31Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/7/2017, 5:46 pm

2seaoat

It is like a house fire has started. Some people are working to put the fire out. Some people are getting in the way of the first responders as they block the roads and selfishly say screw you.........I gotta get mine. When the house burns down, lo and behold one of those people who just had their house burn down are the same ones blocking those trying to respond to the emergency and the first to demand Government payments. Climate change is real. Hate and discrimination is real. Science and intelligence matters. A vibrant press telling the truth is essential, but who exactly sent President Trump to the White House?

32Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 11:27 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

No loss of power, only leaves down, docks in the area were underwater. Storm surge along the waterfront was minimal.

33Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 11:36 am

2seaoat

good news.....I had been waiting for a call from my neighbor which was going to be bad news.

34Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 11:36 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

Glad to hear.

35Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 11:52 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RLL....

36Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 12:26 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

37Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 5:44 pm

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:RLL....

What, Joani??  It was much ado about virtually nothing, and the cry wolf syndrome may set in.

With great lack of confidence in our decision we caved late Saturday and evacuated, solely due to the continuing dire warnings of 4 - 6 ft. storm surge, as we could not afford to have even one of our two cars damaged in salt water, and had no easy way to get back and forth from, say, the Publix lot if we parked both cars there.

So maybe I should send a bill to the National Hurricane Center for almost two days of lost time and wasted elderly energy prepping, packing, and unpacking, not to mention stress, and not to mention close to a $200 bill for Saturday night in a hotel.

Some will say we should be grateful we and our property are safe.  Yeah, well so are the lives and property of hundreds or more of other beach residents who stayed put.

38Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 6:40 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It was much a do about nothing. I wondered if you left. Our pool has a handful of leaves that were picked up in the Polaris.

Area waterfront, docks were underwater with minor damage to boards and a lot of seaweed left behind.

39Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 8:57 pm

RealLindaL

Next time (if there is one) something like this goes down, you can bet your sweet bippy we'll be a helluva lot more resistant to leaving.

Grover Robinson had told me while we were debating, "We could not suggest more that you leave," and now is saying, "I am sorry for the inconvenience."

40Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 9:28 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The width of the storm was off or not forecasted.

41Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/8/2017, 9:33 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

They live to evacuate and close the 3 mile bridge.

42Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/9/2017, 12:51 am

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:Linda, this thread is making me homesick . . . . . . (only kidding) but I am in touch with our best friends but am thinking of you all during the coming of the big wind.

Sorry knot, didn't mean to ignore you -- am just trying to catch up. Belated thanks for your good thoughts. Maybe you kept the storm away. Did all your friends stay, or did any evacuate?

43Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/9/2017, 12:52 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:They live to evacuate and close the 3 mile bridge.

Don't know about living for it, but at least this time they never had an excuse to close the Three Mile.

44Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/9/2017, 8:37 am

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:Linda, this thread is making me homesick . . . . . . (only kidding) but I am in touch with our best friends but am thinking of you all during the coming of the big wind.

Sorry knot, didn't mean to ignore you -- am just trying to catch up.   Belated thanks for your good thoughts.  Maybe you kept the storm away.   Did all your friends stay, or did any evacuate?  

Most did not stay on the island but it sounds as though its impact was relatively benign so YEA!

45Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/9/2017, 1:11 pm

RealLindaL

panhandler wrote:So how big does a storm need to be before we put the hurricane shutters/fabric up?

Cat 1? Cat 2?  Cat 3?

Was surprised to hear bigdog say that, though I can understand the pain in the patoot that panels are.

One of the first things we did when moving here was to have accordion shutters installed, except on the high trapezoidal windows which have clear corrugated Lexan panels. We have the contractor install those panels for the entire season, take them down around Dec. 1. At least they let light in.

And we close our accordions even for a named tropical storm.

One thing that helped convince us was finding, upon returning home after Dennis, that a 6x6 deck post from a neighbor's house all the way across the road had blown across, penetrated our siding and sheathing, knocked all around the inside of the room doing all kinds of damage. (This, btw, was about four weeks after we'd finally returned home after being displaced for nine months following Ivan -- all new interior, and now a mess in that one newly sheet-rocked and furnished room - oh well.)

Anyway, it's true that Dennis brought sustained 90 mph winds, but just seeing what that could do makes us reluctant to leave windows unprotected in any significant storm.

That's just us. Obviously a personal decision -- as long as you're not worried about your wind insurance not paying because you didn't install your panels/shutters.

46Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/9/2017, 1:58 pm

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Sorry knot, didn't mean to ignore you -- am just trying to catch up.   Belated thanks for your good thoughts.  Maybe you kept the storm away.   Did all your friends stay, or did any evacuate?  

Most did not stay on the island but it sounds as though its impact was relatively benign so YEA!

Just hope your friends didn't expend a lot of time, energy and money evacuating for this nothing storm.

47Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/10/2017, 11:43 pm

2seaoat

people get hurt when dart throwers pretend they can pinpoint a storm three days out......sometimes they do......other times they don't. Many of the people who stayed for Katrina had a huge false alarm with Ivan. Sorry Bob, they are still throwing darts.

48Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/11/2017, 2:38 am

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:people get hurt when dart throwers pretend they can pinpoint a storm three days out......sometimes they do......other times they don't.   Many of the people who stayed for Katrina had a huge false alarm with Ivan.  Sorry Bob, they are still throwing darts.

lol!      And the beat goes on.

49Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters - Page 2 Empty Re: Eye to the sky, Gulf Coasters 10/11/2017, 7:56 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

2seaoat wrote:people get hurt when dart throwers pretend they can pinpoint a storm three days out......sometimes they do......other times they don't.   Many of the people who stayed for Katrina had a huge false alarm with Ivan.  Sorry Bob, they are still throwing darts.

Except in Puerto Rico of course... where the potus should've mobilized the navy 2 days out.

Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum