Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

President Trump's promise to keep Carrier jobs in Indy....one more lie

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/trumps-carrier-deal-is-not-living-up-to-the-hype-%e2%80%94-jobs-still-going-to-mexico/ar-BBD2vll?li=BBnb7Kz

del.capslock

del.capslock

I don't understand the continuous surprise and anger when, once again, it's shown that Trump is a liar. Almost everything he's said since he came down the escalator at Trump Tower has been bullshit. I cannot, off the top of my head, think of one speech or pronouncement he's made that wasn't either braggadocio or bullshit.

He's like that guy at work who bullshits about everything all the time. At first, when he tells his fantastical stories, people believe him. As time goes on, and he bullshits about more and more stuff, people get wise to it. Then they get angry and voice their anger, hoping it'll spur him to change.

When that has absolutely no effect and he keeps it up, at some point you let go of the anger and just ignore everything he says. By now we should be surprised if Trump tells the truth about anything.

As Fareed Zakaria put it: “He’s spent his whole life bullshitting. He’s succeeded by bullshitting. He has gotten the presidency by bullshitting.” He's "indifferent to the truth".

Here's a link to the interview, which was before the election: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJpttKLUtI

I think this is why most of the media hates him. It's unseemly for a person in his position to be so blatantly false. They, the members of the media, couldn't get away with it, they would be shunned by their peers. He doesn't care, he's said bad publicity is better than no publicity at all--a Cohn maxim, I believe.

I wonder what would happen if the media stopped covering him so relentlessly, if he got moved off the front page to somewhere on page 10, below the fold, figuratively speaking.

As far as what all this says about his base, they might not be who we think they are--although their motives don't surprise me:

Professor Christopher Parker was one of the few to foresee Donald Trump’s win — and the likely reasons why. Not that people want to hear about it.

“I’ve got three words for you: scared white people,” Parker says. “Every period of racial progress in this country is followed by a period of retrenchment. That’s what the 2016 election was about, and it was plain as it was happening.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-got-it-right-on-trump-so-why-is-he-being-ignored/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

PkrBum

PkrBum

You must prefer that govt dictate and edict to private business... but that's not how it's supposed to work.

At best the potus can create a friendly environment for business and negotiate favorable trade deals.

But you know that... and can't help parroting the leftist drivel. Good job comrade... very useful.

2seaoat

No Parrot. I have been a strong advocate on job credits through the tax code. I used Reagan's tax credits to hire people for two years which trained folks for better jobs, and helped us. President Trump does not have a clue how to govern. He has no idea how to assist our export business and strengthen our exports and lower our imports. His talk is all bull chit. He sold this carrier job retention like doing the same is simply waving a magic wand over a problem. He is a confirmed naive liar who actually think people buy his bs line.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Coming on the heels of the single worst negotiating potus of all time...

you really have some gall... lol.

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:No Parrot.  I have been a strong advocate on job credits through the tax code.  I used Reagan's tax credits to hire people for two years which trained folks for better jobs, and helped us.   President Trump does not have a clue how to govern.  He has no idea how to assist our export business and strengthen our exports and lower our imports.   His talk is all bull chit.  He sold this carrier job retention like doing the same is simply waving a magic wand over a problem.  He is a confirmed naive liar who actually think people buy his bs line.

Objection! Anecdotal! Do you understand that YOUR experience may not be universal. Your inductive arguments don't hold water. You pitch this tax code bullshit as if that's going to have much effect on a single mom holding down a minimum wage job.

The only thing that's going to help people in the bottom brackets is a basic income guarantee. They don't give a shit about tax credits.

zsomething

Yep. Turns out the Great Deal-Maker™ is pretty lousy at making deals. He gave Carrier $7 million in incentives, and took their word... and this is what he got for it. Looks like Carrier read Art of the Deal and decided to turn it on him, like Patton on Rommel -- "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"

As much as I hate Trump, I wish this one had turned out differently, because I'd rather those workers got to keep their jobs. I'm not hoping Trump fails when it comes to the economy or job creation, because that actually benefits people... but, he's proving to be lousy at that. When he's no longer to take credit for Obama's good economy, I'm pretty sure we're going to see a big mess. Kansas tried those "conservative principles" as an experiment, and their economy cratered. Mississippi runs that way, and that's why we have to take in $3 from the fed for every tax dollar collected. Republican theory just flat-out doesn't work.

zsomething

And now Boeing announced layoffs, at the plant where Trump gave another big bragging Great Deal-Maker™ speech.

Sometime we may find a deal that he made that didn't go kerflooey, but today ain't that day. Tomorrow's not looking good, either.

del.capslock

del.capslock

All presidents lie. Richard Nixon said he was not a crook, yet he orchestrated the most shamelessly crooked act in the modern presidency. Ronald Reagan said he wasn’t aware of the Iran-Contra deal; there’s evidence he was. Bill Clinton said he did not have sex with that woman; he did, or close enough. Lying in politics transcends political party and era. It is, in some ways, an inherent part of the profession of politicking.

But Donald Trump is in a different category. The sheer frequency, spontaneity and seeming irrelevance of his lies have no precedent.

Those who have followed Trump’s career say his lying isn’t just a tactic, but an ingrained habit. New York tabloid writers who covered Trump as a mogul on the rise in the 1980s and ’90s found him categorically different from the other self-promoting celebrities in just how often, and pointlessly, he would lie to them.

Our brains are particularly ill-equipped to deal with lies when they come not singly but in a constant stream, and Trump, we know, lies constantly, about matters as serious as the election results and as trivial as the tiles at Mar-a-Lago. (According to his butler, Anthony Senecal, Trump once said the tiles in a nursery at the West Palm Beach club had been made by Walt Disney himself; when Senecal protested, Trump had a single response: “Who cares?”) When we are overwhelmed with false, or potentially false, statements, our brains pretty quickly become so overworked that we stop trying to sift through everything. It’s called cognitive load—our limited cognitive resources are overburdened. It doesn’t matter how implausible the statements are; throw out enough of them, and people will inevitably absorb some. Eventually, without quite realizing it, our brains just give up trying to figure out what is true.

In politics, false information has a special power. If false information comports with preexisting beliefs—something that is often true in partisan arguments—attempts to refute it can actually backfire, planting it even more firmly in a person’s mind.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/donald-trump-lies-liar-effect-brain-214658

The media and the courts, however, are not going to let this go. It's going to catch up with him eventually, if only because other, honorable, politicians, judges and lawyers will turn against him and he will find himself in a situation he can't settle his way out of. Think Gawker.

Vikingwoman

Today in the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/opinion/trumps-lies.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum