Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"He... would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Keith Moon led a very destructive lifestyle. He laid waste to hotel rooms, the homes of friends and even his own home, throwing furniture out of high windows and setting fire to buildings. It has been estimated that his destruction of hotel toilets and plumbing ran as high as UK£300,000 (US$500,000).[12][13] These destructive acts, though often fuelled by drugs and alcohol, were Moon's way of expressing his eccentricity, as well as the joy he got from shocking the public.[7] In Moon's biography, Full Moon, longtime friend and personal assistant Dougal Butler, observed: "He (Moon) would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."

According to Townshend, Moon cultivated his reputation for erratic behaviour. Once, while riding in a limo on the way to an airport, Moon insisted they return to their hotel, saying, "I forgot something. We've got to go back!". When the limo reached the hotel, Moon ran back to his room, grabbed the television, and threw it out the window into the swimming pool below. Moon then left the hotel and jumped back into the limo, sighing "I nearly forgot".

Moon's destructiveness led to The Who being banned from hotel chains around the world, including Holiday Inn, Sheraton, and Hilton Hotels,[14] as well as the Waldorf Astoria in New York City.[15] Moon's history forced The Who to stay outside of New York City when the band performed there; none of the New York hotels would accept them as guests.

In one case, The Who were due to perform at The Valley, the London (home of Charlton Athletic F.C.). The band members were waiting in the dressing room for Moon to arrive. A witness described the drummer's sudden entry to the building:

"Suddenly, there was a great crash and Keith Moon dropped through the ceiling, having smashed his way through the corrugated iron roof."[16]

Moon even crashed a milk float vehicle that he had purchased on his own property.[17]
Exploding toilets

Moon's favorite stunt was to flush powerful explosives down hotel toilets.[7][18] In later years, musician Nick Harper was asked about his childhood memories spent around The Who; his first recollection was, "I remember Keith blowing up the toilets."[19]

"One day I was in Keith's room and I said, 'Could I use your bog?' and he smiled and said, 'Sure.' I went in there and there was no toilet, just sort of an S bend, and I thought 'Christ, what happened?' He said, 'Well this cherry bomb was about to go off in me hand and I threw it down the toilet to stop it going off.' So I said, 'Are they that powerful?' and he said, 'Yeah, it's incredible!' So I said, 'How many of 'em have you got?' with fear in me eyes. He laughed and said, 'Five hundred,' and opened up a case full to the top with cherry bombs. And of course from that moment on we got thrown out of every hotel we ever stayed in."
—Pete Townshend, from the book Amazing Journey: The Life of Pete Townshend by Mark Wilkerson[20]

According to Moon biographer Tony Fletcher's, Moon's toilet pyrotechnics began in 1965 when he purchased 500 cherry bombs.[7][21] Over time, Moon graduated from cherry bombs to M-80 fireworks to sticks of dynamite, which became his explosive of choice.[22] "All that porcelain flying through the air was quite unforgettable," Moon recalled. "I never realised dynamite was so powerful. I'd been used to penny bangers before."[7] Moon quickly developed a reputation of "leaving holes" in bathroom floors and completely annihilating the toilets. The destruction mesmerized Moon and enhanced his public image as rock and roll's premier hellraiser.[7] Fletcher goes on to state that, "no toilet in a hotel or changing room was safe," until Moon had exhausted his supply of explosives.[7]

Moon often cajoled bandmember John Entwistle into helping him blow up toilets. In a 1981 interview with the Los Angeles Times, Entwistle confessed, "A lot of times when Keith was blowing up toilets I was standing behind him with the matches."[23]

On one occasion, a hotel manager called Moon in his room and asked him to lower the volume on his cassette music player; the manager said The Who were making "too much noise." In response, Moon asked the manager up to his room. When the manager arrived, Moon excused himself to the bathroom, lit a stick of dynamite in the toilet, and shut the bathroom door. Following the explosion, Moon informed the startled manager, "That, dear boy, was noise." Moon then turned the cassette player back on and proclaimed, "This is The Who."[24][25]

On another occasion in Alabama, Moon and Entwistle loaded a toilet with cherry bombs after being told that they could not receive room service. According to Entwistle, "That toilet was just dust all over the walls by the time we checked out. The management brought our suitcases down to the gig and said: 'Don't come back...'"[26]
Flint Holiday Inn incident

In 1967, Moon set new levels of notoriety at a hotel in Flint, Michigan. According to the book Local DJ, a Rock & Roll History, the band was performing in the area as an opening act for Herman's Hermits. After the show, a party was thrown to celebrate Moon's 21st birthday party at the Holiday Inn in Flint, Michigan. Already intoxicated, Moon began the celebration by lighting a stick of dynamite in the toilet of his room. When the lit dynamite did not flush, Moon leapt out of the bathroom at the last moment to avoid porcelain toilet shards from the blast.[27]

After destroying the toilet, Moon then allegedly drove a Cadillac (Moon said a Lincoln Continental) into the hotel swimming pool. Author Peter C. Cavanaugh, who witnessed the event, recalled the events for a documentary on the 1960s rock scene.[28] According to the book, The Who In Their Own Words, Moon said he broke his tooth driving the car into the pool. However, according to VH1's Behind the Music, Moon broke his tooth diving into the pool, which was empty of water at the time.

Other people who attended the event, including Entwistle, cast doubt on the car-in-the-swimming-pool story, but confirm some other parts of the tale. Another version of the night in Flint was recounted by Moon biographer Fletcher;

"It was (after a cake fight) that the cry came to 'debag' the birthday boy... Various members of (Herman's Hermits and The Who) launched themselves on Keith, pinned him to the floor and successfully pulled his trousers down... As the teenage girls began gasping and giggling and the cops started grunting their disapproval, Keith, naked from the waist down, made a good-natured dash for it out of the room...and smashed one of his front teeth out".(p210)

After Moon went to the dentist, the party was disbanded. The 30 to 40 guests filed out, a few taking fire extinguishers to cars and dirtying the swimming pool.

Holiday Inn management had previously tolerated Moon's behaviour as long as someone paid the damages. However, after the Flint party, the company permanently banned Moon and the rest of The Who from all their hotel properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Moon#Destructive_behaviour

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:Keith Moon led a very destructive lifestyle. He laid waste to hotel rooms, the homes of friends and even his own home, throwing furniture out of high windows and setting fire to buildings. It has been estimated that his destruction of hotel toilets and plumbing ran as high as UK£300,000 (US$500,000).[12][13] These destructive acts, though often fuelled by drugs and alcohol, were Moon's way of expressing his eccentricity, as well as the joy he got from shocking the public.[7] In Moon's biography, Full Moon, longtime friend and personal assistant Dougal Butler, observed: "He (Moon) would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."

According to Townshend, Moon cultivated his reputation for erratic behaviour. Once, while riding in a limo on the way to an airport, Moon insisted they return to their hotel, saying, "I forgot something. We've got to go back!". When the limo reached the hotel, Moon ran back to his room, grabbed the television, and threw it out the window into the swimming pool below. Moon then left the hotel and jumped back into the limo, sighing "I nearly forgot".

Moon's destructiveness led to The Who being banned from hotel chains around the world, including Holiday Inn, Sheraton, and Hilton Hotels,[14] as well as the Waldorf Astoria in New York City.[15] Moon's history forced The Who to stay outside of New York City when the band performed there; none of the New York hotels would accept them as guests.

In one case, The Who were due to perform at The Valley, the London (home of Charlton Athletic F.C.). The band members were waiting in the dressing room for Moon to arrive. A witness described the drummer's sudden entry to the building:

"Suddenly, there was a great crash and Keith Moon dropped through the ceiling, having smashed his way through the corrugated iron roof."[16]

Moon even crashed a milk float vehicle that he had purchased on his own property.[17]
Exploding toilets

Moon's favorite stunt was to flush powerful explosives down hotel toilets.[7][18] In later years, musician Nick Harper was asked about his childhood memories spent around The Who; his first recollection was, "I remember Keith blowing up the toilets."[19]

"One day I was in Keith's room and I said, 'Could I use your bog?' and he smiled and said, 'Sure.' I went in there and there was no toilet, just sort of an S bend, and I thought 'Christ, what happened?' He said, 'Well this cherry bomb was about to go off in me hand and I threw it down the toilet to stop it going off.' So I said, 'Are they that powerful?' and he said, 'Yeah, it's incredible!' So I said, 'How many of 'em have you got?' with fear in me eyes. He laughed and said, 'Five hundred,' and opened up a case full to the top with cherry bombs. And of course from that moment on we got thrown out of every hotel we ever stayed in."
—Pete Townshend, from the book Amazing Journey: The Life of Pete Townshend by Mark Wilkerson[20]

According to Moon biographer Tony Fletcher's, Moon's toilet pyrotechnics began in 1965 when he purchased 500 cherry bombs.[7][21] Over time, Moon graduated from cherry bombs to M-80 fireworks to sticks of dynamite, which became his explosive of choice.[22] "All that porcelain flying through the air was quite unforgettable," Moon recalled. "I never realised dynamite was so powerful. I'd been used to penny bangers before."[7] Moon quickly developed a reputation of "leaving holes" in bathroom floors and completely annihilating the toilets. The destruction mesmerized Moon and enhanced his public image as rock and roll's premier hellraiser.[7] Fletcher goes on to state that, "no toilet in a hotel or changing room was safe," until Moon had exhausted his supply of explosives.[7]

Moon often cajoled bandmember John Entwistle into helping him blow up toilets. In a 1981 interview with the Los Angeles Times, Entwistle confessed, "A lot of times when Keith was blowing up toilets I was standing behind him with the matches."[23]

On one occasion, a hotel manager called Moon in his room and asked him to lower the volume on his cassette music player; the manager said The Who were making "too much noise." In response, Moon asked the manager up to his room. When the manager arrived, Moon excused himself to the bathroom, lit a stick of dynamite in the toilet, and shut the bathroom door. Following the explosion, Moon informed the startled manager, "That, dear boy, was noise." Moon then turned the cassette player back on and proclaimed, "This is The Who."[24][25]

On another occasion in Alabama, Moon and Entwistle loaded a toilet with cherry bombs after being told that they could not receive room service. According to Entwistle, "That toilet was just dust all over the walls by the time we checked out. The management brought our suitcases down to the gig and said: 'Don't come back...'"[26]
Flint Holiday Inn incident

In 1967, Moon set new levels of notoriety at a hotel in Flint, Michigan. According to the book Local DJ, a Rock & Roll History, the band was performing in the area as an opening act for Herman's Hermits. After the show, a party was thrown to celebrate Moon's 21st birthday party at the Holiday Inn in Flint, Michigan. Already intoxicated, Moon began the celebration by lighting a stick of dynamite in the toilet of his room. When the lit dynamite did not flush, Moon leapt out of the bathroom at the last moment to avoid porcelain toilet shards from the blast.[27]

After destroying the toilet, Moon then allegedly drove a Cadillac (Moon said a Lincoln Continental) into the hotel swimming pool. Author Peter C. Cavanaugh, who witnessed the event, recalled the events for a documentary on the 1960s rock scene.[28] According to the book, The Who In Their Own Words, Moon said he broke his tooth driving the car into the pool. However, according to VH1's Behind the Music, Moon broke his tooth diving into the pool, which was empty of water at the time.

Other people who attended the event, including Entwistle, cast doubt on the car-in-the-swimming-pool story, but confirm some other parts of the tale. Another version of the night in Flint was recounted by Moon biographer Fletcher;

"It was (after a cake fight) that the cry came to 'debag' the birthday boy... Various members of (Herman's Hermits and The Who) launched themselves on Keith, pinned him to the floor and successfully pulled his trousers down... As the teenage girls began gasping and giggling and the cops started grunting their disapproval, Keith, naked from the waist down, made a good-natured dash for it out of the room...and smashed one of his front teeth out".(p210)

After Moon went to the dentist, the party was disbanded. The 30 to 40 guests filed out, a few taking fire extinguishers to cars and dirtying the swimming pool.

Holiday Inn management had previously tolerated Moon's behaviour as long as someone paid the damages. However, after the Flint party, the company permanently banned Moon and the rest of The Who from all their hotel properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Moon#Destructive_behaviour

Bob, I'm having great difficulty trying to find enough congratulatory words in my vocabulary to properly address this truly magnificent piece of historical information that you have undoubtedly spent long and selfless hours compiling for all of us about Keith Moon.
Personally, I have have never heard of Keith Moon but I suspect Yomama, who is very likely a Keith Moon fan and devotee, probably fainted, touched deeply to his rock and roll soul, when he read the post.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

yella,

His craziness was matched only by his talent as a drummer. In some polls he's been voted as high as the 2nd best rock n roll drummer of all. He did remarkable things with a drum kit which has inspired a lot of others.
But here's something which shows how fucked up he was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJ_NNfjYyM&feature=related

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

What got me to posting all this about Moon is watching the Pete Townshend interview on CBS Sunday Morning today.
I didn't know a goddamn thing about any of this until this morning.
That interview with Townshend is the best interview of any rock n roller I have ever seen. So after seeing it I started googling and learned about all this.
When the full video of the interview goes up on the website tomorrow I'll link you to it and I defy anyone not to be impressed with it after you see it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

listen to this yella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLIerfXuZ4

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If we're going to get a taste for rock n roll we need to rewind and listen to this, yella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5IRI4oHKNU

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And then this. The Zombies were only together for two years. At the end of their two year run they recorded an album which today is regarded by many to be as good as Sgt Pepper. But since they broke up right after leaving the recording studio they never performed any of it publically. Here's a track from it, see if you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqnuI9K5ct4&feature=related

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One more, yella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSXrZYhJt4

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm a picker
I'm a grinner
I'm a lover
And I'm a sinner
playin' my music in the sun
I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a mid-night toker
I get my lovin' on the run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPOKJikcYMk&feature=related

2seaoat

The who defined a generation.....I named my son Tommy......and he became one bad asz drummer and has not stopped playing since he was 15, and as a child.....his early life was absorbed in the music. I found all my old vinyl, and what incredible music. I am going to try to find a turntable.....I was just going to sell em at a garage sale....not now.....I think I am going to play every album again before I fade away. Music is powerful.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

"He... would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."

Sounds like obamacare and solyndra.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ghandi wrote:"He... would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."

Sounds like obamacare and solyndra.
this is supposed to be a diversion from that politics stuff, ghandi. the politics is entertaining in it's own way but it's just not cutting it anymore for being the end all and be all. there's more to life than what this government does or doesn't do. too much attention is being paid to hating or loving these politicians and the politics. It's starting to wear thin.

2seaoat

I went through a stage where.....well did you see the start of Cool Hand Luke......where he is cutting the meter heads off......well......that movie connected with me.....and maybe not meter heads.....but I did things I would not even want to discuss now and it was incredibly stupid and risky......and then there was the music.....it worked for me......the wife settled me down. She tells people that she first saw me at a party.....if you have seen Animal House where the guitarist is playing on the stairs......and Belushi tries to go by....he doubles back and just smashes the guitar.....as she describes it she remembers this big long haired person messing with a guitarist.....this was 6 years before Animal House.....and she ended up being with me after I had 20 shots of tequila and had to play in a 10am basketball game.....you do not sober up the next day......and next thing I knew I was in a room full of couples where we decided to play strip poker......you lose a piece of clothing and you take a shot of tequila.....well needless to say I lost the poker....she liked me....I lost the basketball game the next morning....and we have been together since. She gets a kick out of it when people who have known me for 30 years cannot believe the stories tell about me in those days.....so I have become old, but the music....it never leaves you.....nor does stone cold crazy....it just is easier not to revisit stone cold crazy.....and the wife has a big thumb.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I went through a stage where.....well did you see the start of Cool Hand Luke......where he is cutting the meter heads off......well......that movie connected with me.....and maybe not meter heads.....but I did things I would not even want to discuss now and it was incredibly stupid and risky......and then there was the music.....it worked for me......the wife settled me down. She tells people that she first saw me at a party.....if you have seen Animal House where the guitarist is playing on the stairs......and Belushi tries to go by....he doubles back and just smashes the guitar.....as she describes it she remembers this big long haired person messing with a guitarist.....this was 6 years before Animal House.....and she ended up being with me after I had 20 shots of tequila and had to play in a 10am basketball game.....you do not sober up the next day......and next thing I knew I was in a room full of couples where we decided to play strip poker......you lose a piece of clothing and you take a shot of tequila.....well needless to say I lost the poker....she liked me....I lost the basketball game the next morning....and we have been together since. She gets a kick out of it when people who have known me for 30 years cannot believe the stories tell about me in those days.....so I have become old, but the music....it never leaves you.....nor does stone cold crazy....it just is easier not to revisit stone cold crazy.....and the wife has a big thumb.
now you're talkin. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I been run down
Lord, I been lied to
And I don't know why
I let that mean woman make me out a fool
She took all my money
Wrecked my new car
Now she's with one of my good-time buddies,
Drinkin' in some cross-town bar
Sometimes I feel
Sometimes I feel
Like I been
Tied to the whippin' post
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'
My friends tell me
That I been such a fool
But I got to stand there an' take it
All for loving you
Drown myself in sorrow
As I look at what you done
Nothin' seems to change;
That bad times stay the same,
And I can't run
Sometimes I feel
Sometimes I feel
Like I been
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtdKWWfZG8

2seaoat

now you're talkin. lol

It was a rebellious time, and the who were the national anthem for a generation...I started listening in 68, but it was Tommy which sold me...there was musical genius and raw youthful energy.....and I am happy I did not end up in jail or worse.....I was an eagle scout and very very very conservative in high school, but when I went off to college most people let off some steam because they are away from their parents....I let off steam because since I had been 10 years old I had to raise my brother and my mother.....school represented temporary relief from my responsibilities....I could not blow off steam in High School....I had to be the perfect seaoat to take care of others.....but 300 miles from home and in college during the rock in roll explosion....beautiful thing.....I will not regret a thing when my time comes......I should have been dead 40 years ago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum