Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump bombs Syria

+8
Joanimaroni
Sal
Vikingwoman
RealLindaL
Telstar
othershoe1030
del.capslock
dumpcare
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 2:59 pm

Vikingwoman

del.capslock wrote:
Sal wrote:Apparently, there is a chemical weapons depot at the airbase that was struck, and they were careful not hit that for fear of mass civilian casualties.

There were also Russian at the base who were at the base who were given advanced warning to vacate.

So, there were Russians at a base that has a chemical weapons depot, and the Russians were supposedly in charge of removing and policing Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles.

We have a problem.

You have to presume that this is all known to the National Security people, no?

Yes, we knew Russia didn't hold up to an agreement to get Syria to remove their chemical weapons.

27Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:05 pm

2seaoat

The majority of Syrian immigration into this country since the civil war has been women and children. I think this was a strategic move which in my prior post seems not to be pegged to anything which could justify the same. However, the strategic value of the strike may send a message to others, and to that end, I guess some value you could be rendered. I simply cannot see where the risk to break international law, the ambivalence toward Syrian women and children can now be used to bootstrap strategic saber rattling which in a different context could blow up in our face. I am simply perplexed at this point as to the value of this action, and hope to get more information. My biggest fear is President Trump being encouraged by the response to this strike from the public will lead him to take some unilateral action in Korea.

Also, an attack against the regime will embolden the rebels, and will further lead to the destruction of the nation state of Syria and the threat to Israel. This action has many explanations, but the least of which is the concern for the children.

28Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:16 pm

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:
Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Putin ordered this attack... given the leftist narrative. Right?

We spend $95 million blowing up a deserted airfield, and Putin gets to act all peeved.

Don't you just love kabuki theater?

Closer to $50M and the base was not deserted.

We launch 50 some odd cruise missiles into an airbase and kill less than 10??

Sounds pretty damned deserted to me.

29Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:23 pm

Vikingwoman

The thing about all of this is I don't see any other country backing us up. Now that was an act of war on our part. So if Iran and Syria and Russia start bombing us are we alone in this?

30Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:33 pm

Sal

Sal

Vikingwoman wrote:The thing about all of this is I don't see any other country backing us up. Now that was an act of war on our part. So if Iran and Syria and Russia start bombing us are we alone in this?

This was nothing but kabuki security theater.

We alerted the Russians, who of course told the Syrians, so that they had time to move their equipment and personnel.

We purposefully used precision munitions, so that the runways wouldn't be badly damaged inconveniencing the Russians.

There's even rumors floating about that the Russians turned off their anti-missile defense systems, so that the strike would appear more successful.

This act served no strategic nor deterrent purpose.

Trump continues to think the Russians are his friends, and in the end, he will get played, bigly.

31Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:35 pm

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:I am bothered by the lack of congressional approval for this attack.  However, with the Russian infiltration of American cyber space and more, it probably required a decisive action.  This was a violation of international law, and like the invasion of Iraq the justification may not even be accurate.  I worry about this approach in North Korea.  MIC gets its way no matter what.  Militarization and destroying the nation state which threatened Israel seems to be our path.  However, North Korea is a real threat to America, and if this method is used it will be hundreds of thousands of deaths which will most certainly happen.  If this was an indirect message to North Korea, and American intelligence gave the Presidency certainty of where this chemical attack originated, perhaps this was the only decision which made sense.  

I am not saying this was the right decision.  I am not even saying it was the wrong decision.  I am not saying that a President should be handcuffed and only act with Congress.  I am simply saying without more information, I am uncertain what the upside of this action was, and what future concerns I have in another context.

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

32Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:38 pm

2seaoat

We launch 50 some odd cruise missiles into an airbase and kill less than 10??

Sounds pretty damned deserted to me.

CNN had detailed drone photos and video which showed the targets and the air base. I think the proper word would not be deserted, but spread out and isolated by design. The syrian warplanes where in hardened concrete bunkers, which the initial video showed were NOT destroyed. They also showed that the run way was not badly damaged. It did show planes had been destroyed and some spread out bunkers around the run way had been hit. I am bothered if the intent was to deter chemical weapons from planes, why was the runway literally left undamaged. The hardened plane hangers were pretty cool as shown by CNN. Our sophisticated weapons either failed, or we intentionally put on a show with very little real damage to the Syrian capability to strike from the air again from this base.

33Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 3:45 pm

Vikingwoman

Sal wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:The thing about all of this is I don't see any other country backing us up. Now that was an act of war on our part. So if Iran and Syria and Russia start bombing us are we alone in this?

This was nothing but kabuki security theater.

We alerted the Russians, who of course told the Syrians, so that they had time to move their equipment and personnel.

We purposefully used precision munitions, so that the runways wouldn't be badly damaged inconveniencing the Russians.

There's even rumors floating about that the Russians turned off their anti-missile defense systems, so that the strike would appear more successful.

This act served no strategic nor deterrent purpose.

Trump continues to think the Russians are his friends, and in the end, he will get played, bigly.

The question still remains. Why are we doing this w/o the help of other countries? I mean who do we think we are and why are other countries not assisting?

34Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 4:09 pm

2seaoat

It is very difficult to argue the sovereignty of Ukraine and then deny the same to Syria. If a strong man in Russia can attack a sovereign nation and break international law, how can we condemn the same when we have just done the same.

This was simply in my opinion was a charade. This concern for Syria is the pinnacle of hypocrisy when our strategic goal for forty years was to destroy his father's regime, and now his regime to protect Israel. The question asked is why are we there? We are in the Middle East as the proxy and protector of Israel, and to keep hot wars which feed the MIC. It is really time to reconcile our strategic foreign policy where our presence in the Middle East serves NO long term American strategy. We support tin horn dictators and kings in the middle east who openly abuse their population, but are not a threat to Israel, yet Syria almost won the 1973 war by preemptive strikes, and the longer we can keep the conflict, the longer any threat to Israel will be destroyed. The flipping and flopping of the Trump administration is befuddling if one does not put the same into the context of the destruction of the Syrian nation state.

35Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 6:54 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:It may sound cynical, but I really do think that Trump saw this as an opportunity to change the narrative at home and maybe boost his sagging approval.

If he gave a rat's ass about dead civilians, he wouldn't be trying his damnedest to prevent refugees from reaching the safety of our shores.

he wouldn't be trying his damnedest to prevent refugees from reaching the safety of our shores.

Really, that is what he is doing?  Clinton did the same thing, remember?

36Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 7:04 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

I think Obama even favored the women, children, and elderly... wisely.

37Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 7:08 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:It may sound cynical, but I really do think that Trump saw this as an opportunity to change the narrative at home and maybe boost his sagging approval.

If he gave a rat's ass about dead civilians, he wouldn't be trying his damnedest to prevent refugees from reaching the safety of our shores.

he wouldn't be trying his damnedest to prevent refugees from reaching the safety of our shores.

Really, that is what he is doing?  Clinton did the same thing, remember?

Clinton is so yesterday but some proud deplorable types are haunted by their yesterdays.

38Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:26 pm

2seaoat

Clinton is so yesterday but some proud deplorable types are haunted by their yesterdays.

I so agree with you that the Clintons are so yesterday, but that did not stop the former SOS to get on TV today and condemn the recent concern for Syrian Children by President Trump.   I was watching a Syrian protester blast yesterday SOS Clinton as a blatant hypocrite who did nothing to protect people after the first gassing where this person lost family members, and the man praised President Trump.  If only yesterday, would properly STFU and accept that the American people like your concept of yesterday, but the ego is a hard thing to keep down with these politicians, and somehow yesterday raises its hypocritical head at the most inopportune times.

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away.
Now it looks as though they're here to stay.
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

The new democratic party's answer to the madness called President Trump.

Last edited by 2seaoat on 4/7/2017, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

39Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:45 pm

Vikingwoman

Uh, Obama did try to shoot missiles but congress said no so why this guy is blaming Hillary is dumb.

40Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:47 pm

Vikingwoman

I'm going to say this again. It's horrible what happened there and something should be done but why isn't the rest of the world pissed off and doing something too?

41Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:52 pm

2seaoat

He was one of the victims of the recent gassing. He said his lungs were on fire and he remembered passing out in the street and awakening in the hospital. He lost family members in the 2013 gassing. He was interviewed and asked what he thought of Hillary's comments about Syria today, and How Trump did not care about Syrian refugee woman and children, and now cares about gassing. The guy goes ballistic saying that Syrians do NOT want to be refugees, but they want safe no fly zones in their country so citizens will be safe and that Clinton is an horrible hypocrite because she called for the same, but did nothing as he lost family members, and praised President Trump as finally threatening the Assad regime from future gassing of people. It was a powerful segment on CBS and it made Hillary look so bad.......the man had a valid point. "we do not want to be refugees, we want to be safe in our country"

42Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Vikingwoman wrote:I'm going to say this again. It's horrible what happened there and something should be done but why isn't the rest of the world pissed off and doing something too?
Because they never have....they left it up to the United States.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 4/7/2017, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

43Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:57 pm

2seaoat

It's horrible what happened there and something should be done but why isn't the rest of the world pissed off and doing something too?

A short answer would be that the Israel lobby and the MIC want to see perpetual war in Syria, Iraq, and Iran. They want to leverage those conflicts for the sale of more weapons systems to middle east tin horn dictators whose status quo allows the free flow of cheap oil to the western world. The Russians, Syrians, and Iranians have formed an alliance which would like to see these regimes toppled and higher prices for oil where their economies will prosper.

44Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 8:59 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:He was one of the victims of the recent gassing.  He said his lungs were on fire and he remembered passing out in the street and awakening in the hospital.  He lost family members in the 2013 gassing.  He was interviewed and asked what he thought of Hillary's comments about Syria today, and How Trump did not care about Syrian refugee woman and children, and now cares about gassing.  The guy goes ballistic saying that Syrians do NOT want to be refugees, but they want safe no fly zones in their country so citizens will be safe and that Clinton is an horrible hypocrite because she called for the same, but did nothing as he lost family members, and praised President Trump as finally threatening the Assad regime from future gassing of people.  It was a powerful segment on CBS and it made Hillary look so bad.......the man had a valid point.  "we do not want to be refugees, we want to be safe in our country"

This is one person's point of view which you have obviously taken as the God's truth. I think you're getting senile.

45Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 9:02 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:It's horrible what happened there and something should be done but why isn't the rest of the world pissed off and doing something too?

A short answer would be that the Israel lobby and the MIC want to see perpetual war in Syria, Iraq, and Iran.  They want to leverage those conflicts for the sale of more weapons systems to middle east tin horn dictators whose status quo allows the free flow of cheap oil to the western world.   The Russians, Syrians, and Iranians have formed an alliance which would like to see these regimes toppled and higher prices for oil where their economies will prosper.  

I doubt the Syrians are included in any alliance. You might want to look at Saudi Arabia and the UAE...rich countries with a lot to lose, and they really want Iran out of the picture (Syria's ally).

46Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 9:35 pm

2seaoat

This is one person's point of view which you have obviously taken as the God's truth. I think you're getting senile.

A person who has lost family members to chemical warfare by a tyrant who bombed his people who want to live safely in his country and not to be forced into being a refugee, where some think finding homes for displaced people in other countries is the solution to the underlying terror and horror by that dictator......it is not a solution, and any human being would share his emotions that Hillary Clinton's comments were the pinnacle of hypocrisy. This man was furious with Hillary Clinton, and I voted for her and bought signs for her, but what she said today was pure out of touch hubris and hypocrisy. It was no accident that the American people rejected her candidacy. I would not say I am getting senile, but it would be fair to say with the level of pain I am now experiencing, I am not always my former self, and my writing will obviously show the same in the near future and beyond. However, what Hillary said today was comical hypocrisy, and I cannot stand President Trump. yet watching this man who had suffered so much loss and personal pain attack SOS Clinton was so clear and honest.

47Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 10:04 pm

Vikingwoman

Wait I'm not getting this? Why is Hillary to blame as SOS when Obama tried to get congressional approval to strike?

48Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 10:15 pm

2seaoat

Wait I'm not getting this? Why is Hillary to blame as SOS when Obama tried to get congressional approval to strike?

SOS Clinton was for safe zones in Syria which involved no fly zones and the threat of American military actions. This man said they waited for the same as they were slaughtered, and now for her to criticize President Trump for finally intervening and striking the dictator and his implements of air warfare was hypocritical. President Obama and SOS Clinton disagreed on the use of military to secure these zones, and this poor man who had just been gassed expressed his human anger toward Clinton for more hypocritical words and thanked President Trump. I tend to think this was more show for the Chinese who were in Florida with President Trump making threats that he will go alone against North Korea, and getting some credibility for the same.

49Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/7/2017, 11:44 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Trumps11

50Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump bombs Syria 4/8/2017, 9:46 am

Trump bombs Syria - Page 2 17799110

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum